membership, BALOO, OWL and IOLS

  • Ida Lively
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2005
      We need to add members to this list. Just looking this morning I see that we have 666
      members.

      BALOO - I'm happy to report that we had 22 attend our recent BALOO training. Everyone
      had fun.

      OWL - I started OWL with 10 participants, but by the end of the course I was down to 7.
      During the Friday night activities one member learned his father-in-law passed away.
      Saturday morning, one member awoke with a migraine and went home. Sunday morning,
      one member received a phone call that his hunting camp (established since 1920) burned
      to the ground during the night. Other than my declining membership, the course ran
      well.

      IOLS - We had 9 members pre-registered, but two got caught up in their jobs and traffic
      and decided that instead of rolling into camp at 1AM, that they'd take the fall course. The
      7 remaining had a great time. Their one suggestion for the course was a 4-hour nap after
      the cooking demonstration. [They were well fed!]

      In addition to losing attendees, we lost a Staff member on Friday night. She was taken to
      the hospital (thought to be a heart attack) and kept for the weekend (later thought to be
      gall bladder, and then other tests being run to figure out what caused her episode.)

      We pointed out to our attendees that we were on plan b, and c, and that if you work with
      your leadership/adult help, the boys will never know the difference.

      Suggestions from our course that may help you with your courses:

      BALOO - take 'dish sanitation' out of first aid and put it w/ the cooking prep/demo where
      it seems to naturally fit. Decision: so it is said, so let it be done.

      OWL - practical first aid for outings and not just to teach readyman. Decision: have a list
      of upcoming American Red Cross and American Heart Association courses for them.

      IOLS - more information about how the Troop Committee functions to support the
      scoutmaster. Decision: OPTIONAL Troop Committee Challenge session on Friday evening.

      We saw "Webelos to Scout Transition" appear as a need in previous OWL sessions, so we
      added a 1-hour session on Sunday morning taught by my district's Webelos to Scout
      committee chairman. We covered a brief Scout Troop organization/functions in our WtS
      session. It was well received.

      In Service,
      Ida Lively
      - Juniata Valley Council, Nittany Mountain Training Chair
    • Alan Smason
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2005
        Hmmm...perhaps someone has a recipe for Devil's Food Cake or Deviled Eggs
        that they'd like to share.

        Alan Smason
        Southeast Louisiana Council

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Scouter Chuck
        Message 3 of 5 , May 3, 2005
          Ida wrote...

          [snip]
          > IOLS - more information about how the Troop Committee functions
          > to support the scoutmaster. Decision: OPTIONAL Troop Committee
          > Challenge session on Friday evening.

          The Troop Committee Challenge is meant for members of the Troop
          Committee. It's not part of the outdoor program per se.

          The course needs a minimum of 3 hours to be run properly, and would
          not be "cost effective" in the IOLS environment. At least that's
          my perspective.

          Also, there is a limited time to train these people in what they
          _need_ to know (OLS), and it's hard enough getting that time. The
          leaders and members taking these courses may not know what was cut
          so that other things could be added, or cut because of time. The
          instructors will, and will know the value of what they didn't pass
          on.

          In my District, one of the most frustrating things to me is the
          fact that the syllabus says the course takes 10 hours, the room is
          only available for 8, and the attendees won't come unless it's 4.
          Or less. We need to be allowing more time for training, not
          cutting that time. Whether we cut it by actually reducing the
          session length, or by adding other material really doesn't matter.
          Just stick to the syllabus.

          Also, I believe the actual quote (from "The Ten Commandments") was:
          "So let it be written, so let it be done".

          I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
          -- Stephen R. Covey
        • Scouter Chuck
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2005
            Alan Smason wrote...

            > Hmmm...perhaps someone has a recipe for Devil's Food Cake or
            > Deviled Eggs that they'd like to share.

            The easiest way that I know of to do deviled eggs is to use
            "sandwich spread". I don't know who makes any other than Kraft.

            Hard boil the eggs, peel them, cut them, and save out the yokes.
            Mix the sandwich spread into the yokes to taste, and spoon it into
            the egg halves.

            If you have any left, you didn't do it right. ;)

            I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
            -- Stephen R. Covey
          • Sandra Martens
            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2005
              troop committee challenge doesn't belong with the SM outdoor training. If they want that they should take it separately. You have enough to cover without adding that too.

              sanitation with cooking- yes

              OWL- first aid in the course is not the readyman pin. The syllabus says to just quickly go over the requirements. you are teaching basic first aid for the adults that will be on the camp out- it even talks about going over types of first aid kits that should be taken on the camp out.

              our OWL this weekend had 9 people- we don't do an overnight one. ours goes from 8AM to 8PM on a Saturday.

              Sandy OWL