Re: HISTORY: Those MYLAR "Trained Leader" Position Patches

  • Michael Brown
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 21, 2005
      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Dave Loomis <dloomis@n...> wrote:
      > Hello Don,
      >
      > Those patches were an use from 1972 - 1983, when the new tan
      and
      > green uniforms were introouced.

      I think their use might have ended a little earlier. I became an
      adult leader around 1982 or so, and only saw the full mylar patches
      on leaders that had been around a bit.

      >Prior to that, the color and the design
      > of the patch indicated the position of the wearer. Around 82-83
      the
      > "new" leader's badges were designed featuring the /fleur de lis/
      and
      > the title of the position, on a green background, which were much
      easier
      > to understand. This was the same time frame as the narrow white on
      red
      > "Trained" strips were used to indicate a fully trained Scouter.

      There were also "Trained" strips for cub scout leaders (yellow on
      blue), Explorer leaders (brown on green) and Sea Scout leaders (blue
      on white, white on blue). But I think these stopped being used in
      the early 70s. It would be mid-80s before I got trained, and then it
      was the "Trained" strip we currently use in place.

      The
      > mylar patches were not available for all positions, Scoutmaster,
      and
      > perhaps Cubmaster and Exploring Post Leader, and were authorized
      for
      > those leaders who had completed the training for their position.

      AFAIK, there were no full mylar ones for Exploring Post Advisors. At
      that time, the office patches for Exploring consisted of strips worn
      below the left front pocket, and few were using them by this time.

      As a
      > trainer, I used to present either the mylar patch, or the red and
      white
      > trained strip to Scouters who had completed Schoutmaster training,
      as
      > the last part of that course and to recognise their new status.

      Michael Brown