BALOO Syllabus

  • Larry D. Ohs
    Message 1 of 33 , Mar 4, 2005
      Allen Smason asks: Is it legal to send a pdf of a proprietary BSA
      course (via e-mail or the Internet) for any reason?

      Allen: your answer is in the first part of your post:

      "This subject came up with regard to holding a BALOO course a few years ago when I was District Training Chair because it is a BSA proprietary document.... According to one of the professional staffers, any BALOO pdfs should not be posted on any site and by extension, are probably not legal to obtain without permission of the BSA. The idea is that this copyrighted course is sold in Scout Shops and, therefore the information contained within, is protected."

      You cannot make a .pdf file of a training book without specific written permission of BSA, even for your own training. As a BSA trainer, you are allowed to photocopy certain pages of the manual to handout at BSA trainings (the pages are identified in the manual), but we do not have permission to copy the whole manual by any method for any reason. We are to buy any manuals needed for trainers, unless we have permission to copy from BSA.

      I was part of this group's discussion of that topic in 2002 and got permission to share that information with this group from a reliable source on BSA policies. [CAVEAT: I am not an Intellectual Properties attorney; I am passing on information I received in 2002, not my own legal opinion.]

      Larry Ohs
      Attorney at Law
      Salt Valley District Training Committee
      2005 Jamboree Boating Staff
      "...and a good old Fox, too." W5-63-00

    • McAlister, Robin CTR NAVAIR, Hrg. 110 Rm.
      Message 33 of 33 , Mar 10, 2014
        I think you're on the wrong thread.

        We're discussing BALOO