BALOO syllabus

  • Lady T
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 4 6:53 AM
      Does anyone have the BALOO syllabus in a pdf?

      Thanks!

      Trisha E Munsch
      CSRTC Tomahawk District
      Capitol Area Council
      Austin TX
    • Sean Scott
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 4 8:42 AM
        Trisha,

        I do, but be warned--it's big! 33.6MB

        YiS,
        Sean

        On Mar 4, 2005, at 6:53 AM, Lady T wrote:

        > Does anyone have the BALOO syllabus in a pdf?

      • Alan Smason
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 4 8:47 AM
          This subject came up with regard to holding a BALOO course a few years ago
          when I was District Training Chair because it is a BSA proprietary document.
          I had wanted to post a copy of a BALOO course online for the benefit of
          other trainers who were slated to staff it. According to one of the
          professional staffers, any BALOO pdfs should not be posted on any site and
          by extension, are probably not legal to obtain without permission of the
          BSA. The idea is that this copyrighted course is sold in Scout Shops and,
          therefore the information contained within, is protected. Proceeds from its
          sale at Scout Shops go directly to the BSA, since they are the source for
          the material. I don't mean to bring up a sore subject here, so I guess what
          I should be asking is: Is it legal to send a pdf of a proprietary BSA
          course (via e-mail or the Internet) for any reason? If we do so, and thus
          prevent a possible sale to the BSA for use in implementing one of their own
          official courses, are we really doing our fellow trainers a favor in the
          long run? As a longtime devotee to training, I know that it is difficult to
          justify spending extra money on training supplies and courses. However, in
          this case it could be argued that the money is rightfully intended to go the
          the BSA for their help in researching and implementing future courses for
          youth and adult training.

          With you always in Scouter training,

          Alan Smason
          Pontchartrain District
          Southeast Louisiana Council
          New Orleans, LA

          Does anyone have the BALOO syllabus in a pdf?

          Thanks!

          Trisha E Munsch
          CSRTC Tomahawk District
          Capitol Area Council
          Austin TX

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • John Halter
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 4 9:02 AM
            lol...mine's 41.2MB!

            Thank you,

            John Halter
            Pack Trainer
            Pack 230 Apopka Florida
            www.pack230.com
            Assistant Scoutmaster
            Troop 936 Longwood Florida
            www.wekiwa.org
            "PackDude" at www.Scoutboard.com
            ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 4 9:53 AM
              Alan Smason wrote:

              > Is it legal to send a pdf of a proprietary BSA
              > course (via e-mail or the Internet) for any reason? If we do so, and thus
              > prevent a possible sale to the BSA for use in implementing one of
              > their own
              > official courses, are we really doing our fellow trainers a favor in the
              > long run? As a longtime devotee to training, I know that it is
              > difficult to
              > justify spending extra money on training supplies and courses.
              > However, in
              > this case it could be argued that the money is rightfully intended to
              > go the
              > the BSA for their help in researching and implementing future courses for
              > youth and adult training.

              I have pdf versions of almost all of the BSA manuals/books that I own.
              I've already paid BSA for the books, but rather than drag binders full
              of books around, it's much easier for me to have the files. I'm sure
              everyone would agree with you that if you are downloading an electronic
              version of a book so that you don't have to buy it, that is wrong.
              However, if you've already paid for the book, why not get a copy of it
              in pdf if someone has it? And how many districts purchase several
              copies of these books vs buying one copy and making photocopies? Take
              the Roundtable Planning Guides for example. How many districts out
              there purchase a copy for every member of their staff? The Cub RT
              planning guide changes every year, so it's not like you can buy one and
              use it for 2-3 years. I purchased several copies my first year as RT
              Commish...and still have a couple of those left over in their shrink
              wrap. Now I buy 1-2 copies and make a few photocopies for the staff.
              That way if the staff member has to drop out for any reason, I'm not out
              for the cost of the manual.

              Thank you,

              John Halter
              Pack Trainer
              Pack 230 Apopka Florida
              www.pack230.com
              Assistant Scoutmaster
              Troop 936 Longwood Florida
              www.wekiwa.org
              "PackDude" at www.Scoutboard.com
              ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
            • Meyers, E. Steve
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 4 10:47 AM
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 4 11:01 AM
                  I'd be happy to buy 8-10 copies of Webelos Outdoor Leader Training from
                  the pre-2001 Cub Leader Basic Training publications, but I'd be hard
                  pressed to do so. Thank goodness I have an electronic version, my one
                  personal copy is almost battered beyond recognition.

                  AND I'M WAITING FOR THE NEW COURSE, NATIONAL!!!! I'M
                  WAAAAAAAAAAAITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <smile>

                  (anybody seen one yet? A real, available-to-us-masses version, not a
                  beta.)

                  Teresa Hall
                  Vulcan District Cub Training Coordinator
                  Greater AL Council
                • NeilLup@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 4 11:32 AM
                    In a message dated 3/4/05 12:19:41 PM, john@... writes:

                    > lol...mine's 41.2MB!

                    Perhaps these need to be that large, perhaps not. If you scanned the
                    manual as .pdf files, you can read them into Adobe Acrobat as .pdf files,
                    save them as postscript files, then use Adobe Distiller to condense the .ps
                    file to a smaller .pdf file.

                    Sometimes it makes no difference, but I have seen distilling a .pdf file
                    shrink the size by a factor of 10 or more depending upon the graphics and
                    photos.

                    Best wishes,

                    Neil Lupton

                  • Nadine Melchior
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 4 2:58 PM
                      I hope you aren't holding your breath waiting! LOL We have been waiting for a couple years for the re-written Webelos Leader Outdoor Fundamental manual. I heard that it was supposed to be out a year ago "for sure".
                      I'd be happy to buy 8-10 copies of Webelos Outdoor Leader Training from
                      the pre-2001 Cub Leader Basic Training publications, but I'd be hard
                      pressed to do so. Thank goodness I have an electronic version, my one
                      personal copy is almost battered beyond recognition.

                      AND I'M WAITING FOR THE NEW COURSE, NATIONAL!!!! I'M
                      WAAAAAAAAAAAITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <smile>

                      (anybody seen one yet? A real, available-to-us-masses version, not a
                      beta.)

                      Teresa Hall
                      Vulcan District Cub Training Coordinator
                      Greater AL Council

                      Scouting The Net - http://www.ScoutingTheNet.com/<http://www.scoutingthenet.com/>

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129dmk4gh/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=1705066162:HM/EXP=1110049281/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>

                    • Dave Loomis
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 4 10:20 PM
                        Steve,

                        I have to argue if you could buy a copy of the syllabus with your
                        own money, you could easily have kept the receipt and charged it off
                        against the course. This is something we have to get used to, buying
                        legal copies of syllabii as well as a few Training Awards out of each
                        class' budget so that you have current information, and there is either
                        Training Awards to award to the learners for some later time after they
                        have completed the requirements for these awards, or there is money in
                        the treasury to buy them whenever needed.

                        Dave

                        Meyers, E. Steve wrote:

> [...]
                        To reply, click on the address below.

                        Dave Loomis dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
                        245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
                        Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
                      • Fort Knox Scouting Community
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 5 5:20 PM
                          "am sure the R&D and printing costs are substantial, but on this end of the spear, the budgets are insubstantial or nonexistent."

                          Of course if the BSA would scan the syllabi into .PDF's, we'd have the option of distributing the files to trainers, and allowing them to print out their own.

                          The FKSC,
                          P.O. Box 41
                          Ft Knox KY 40121-0041
                          BLD 4022, Vine Grove Street
                          Visit us online at:
                          http://www.knoxscouting.org/

                          "The goodness of a person and of the society he or she lives in often comes down to very simple things and words found in the Scout Law. Every society depends on trust and loyalty, on courtesy and kindness, on bravery and reverence. These are the values of Scouting, and these are the values of Americans."

                          President George W. Bush

                        • Dave Loomis
                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 5 7:20 PM
                            Come on, budgets are what you make them. Spreading the cost of a
                            new $ 12.50 Boy Scout Training Scoutmaster Syllabus over 20 learners in
                            the class raises the cost of the training a mere $ 0.625, a little under
                            what it costs to mail two letters or flyers about the course.
                            Additionally, sometimes your council will deduct their profit on a sale
                            like this, and sell it to you at cost, or about $ 11.25.

                            Dave

                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 6 6:33 AM
                              Fort Knox Scouting Community wrote:

                              > Of course if the BSA would scan the syllabi into .PDF's, we'd have
                              > the option of distributing the files to trainers, and allowing them to
                              > print out their own.

                              Or, how about giving us the opportunity to purchase only the pages where
                              information has been changed/removed?

                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 6 4:06 PM
                                More to the point, it would be much cheaper for **us* *if BSA
                                would offer their informational and dictrinal publications as loose
                                leaf format, and updates and changes to these pubs as individual page
                                changes, for insertion into the manual or pamphlet.

                                Dave

                                John Halter wrote:

                                > Fort Knox Scouting Community wrote:
                                >
                                > > Of course if the BSA would scan the syllabi into .PDF's, we'd have
                                > > the option of distributing the files to trainers, and allowing them to
                                > > print out their own.
                                >
                                > Or, how about giving us the opportunity to purchase only the pages where
                                > information has been changed/removed?
                                >
                                > Thank you,
                                >
                                > John Halter
                                > Pack Trainer
                                > Pack 230 Apopka Florida
                                > www.pack230.com
                                > Assistant Scoutmaster
                                > Troop 936 Longwood Florida
                                > Wekiwa District Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                                > www.wekiwa.org
                                > "PackDude" at www.Scoutboard.com
                                > ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442

                                > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
                                > click here
                                > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1293gvn9n/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=1705066162:HM/EXP=1110206088/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>

                                To reply, click on the address below.

                                Dave Loomis dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
                                245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
                                Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
                              • Michael Crothers
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 3, 2008
                                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Sean Scott <sscott@...> wrote:

                                  > Trisha,
                                  >
                                  > I do, but be warned--it's big! 33.6MB
                                  >
                                  > YiS,
                                  > Sean
                                  >
                                  > On Mar 4, 2005, at 6:53 AM, Lady T wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > Does anyone have the BALOO syllabus in a pdf?

                                  Could you break it down into two or three parts and send it to me at
                                  dowrightbw@...

                                  Mike Crothers
                                • struax@tidalwave.net
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 3, 2008
                                    Sean,

                                    Could you break it up and post on the yhaoo listserve?

                                    YIS
                                    Scott Truax

                                    > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Sean Scott <sscott@...> wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >> Trisha,
                                    >>
                                    >> I do, but be warned--it's big! 33.6MB
                                    >>
                                    >> YiS,
                                    >> Sean
                                    >>
                                    >> On Mar 4, 2005, at 6:53 AM, Lady T wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >> > Does anyone have the BALOO syllabus in a pdf?

                                    > Could you break it down into two or three parts and send it to me at
                                    > dowrightbw@...
                                    >
                                    > Mike Crothers

                                  • Willis Madden
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 7, 2008
                                      Scott,

                                      Your fellow Fox has the file if you need it, but it IS the old one.

                                      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, struax@... wrote:

                                      > Sean,
                                      >
                                      > Could you break it up and post on the yhaoo listserve?
                                      >
                                      > YIS
                                      > Scott Truax
                                      >

                                      > > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Sean Scott sscott@ wrote:
                                      > >>
                                      > >> Trisha,
                                      > >>
                                      > >> I do, but be warned--it's big! 33.6MB
                                      > >>
                                      > >> YiS,
                                      > >> Sean

                                      > > Could you break it down into two or three parts and send it to me at
                                      > > dowrightbw@...
                                      > >
                                      > > Mike Crothers

                                    • Michael Crothers
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Apr 8, 2009
                                        In the file section of this group you will find the 2008 Baloo syllabus.

                                        It is broken down in three parts for easy e-mailing.

                                        Yours In Scouting

                                        Mike Crothers

                                        Catalina Council Pow Wow Chair 2008 & 09

                                        and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

                                        and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06