Re: [Scouter_T] Cub Advancement

  • Brant Lippincott
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 22, 2005
      Finally getting caught up on some follow-up....

      Cub advancement is an interesting and (IMHO) often misunderstood topic.

      Remember that the motto of Cub Scouts is "Do Your Best". The operative word here is "do". The scout should actually "do" the activity. We all know of the Cub who came in where their parent had signed off on everything (and I mean everything). The parent in this case is not doing the boy any good by signing off on things they have not really done. Below the Webelos level, it's kind of hard to question this. At the Webelos level, the DEN leader is supposed to have the ultimate sign off. Personally, I would not recommend getting into a war of wills with a parent over this, but perhaps I'd take them aside and quitely explain that in the future, I'd like to see some sort of verification that the boy actually did it.

      I don't think it's "pushing" the boy to require that he actually DO or DO HIS BEST on a requirement....

      On the topic of Belt loops, pins, etc. This was not intended tobe a GO DO IT type thing. Many boys have outside interests (Sports, academics, etc.). So if the boy participates in a soccer league, he probably completes the soccer belt loop and likely the pin. Get a copy of the book and check it out. You are more than welcome to take your boys out to learn how to play (lets say "ultimate") and then everyone earns the belt loop. But find out what the boys do outside and reward them.

      I'm going to have to disagree with some of what "Dave in Tennessee" wrote. True, it is the responsibility of the parents to insure that their boy completes the requirements, but I see things differently.

      As a Den Leader, you should set up a program to insure that the boys can complete a LOT (if not MOST) of the requirements simply by attending most of the den meetings. True, there are a number of requirements that are not possible to earn in the den meeting. These, you communicate to the parents. Tell them what is expected of them and their son. You'll find that most of them will complete what you tell them to do.

      I think that John did his den a diserevice by completing the "Sawdust and Nails" without them. Not all parents are intentionally lazy. Many have lots of other interests, work, etc that will pull them away from being able to do something like this. Others simply do not have the skills or the TOOLS to do this. John should have volunteered his garage for the meeting. As a Den Leader, I hold him to a higher standard on this one. If he were "just a parent", I'd let it slide. My den built a tool box during a den meeting. I had a lot of help from a number of other parents who brought several additional hand tools to the meeting and supervised the boys working.

      As a DEN leader, you should find out what your parents know and can do. The "Parent Survey" is a great resource. Then ASK them for their help. You can use your parents to provide a well rounded program. As a den leader, you don't have to do everything. It's trite, but the TEAM approach works (Together Everyone Achieves More).

      Lastly, John, I think perhaps you misspoke on the EAGLE topic. This is one area that the BOY MUST do. BOYS should be held back for NOT completing the requirements. It's not "Do your best". It's "DO". EAGLE REQUIRED badges are not Eagle "suggested" badges. They must be completed.

      We must rememeber WHY we do this. And true, not all parents are as motivated as the leaders, especially the folks who frequent THIS board. But EVERYTHNG we do is FOR THE BOYS. If the parents fall down in an area, we can try like heck to fill the gap. True, there are some things we can't do ("make a list of chores that you do at home and keep track of it for ..."). There are some things best done at home ("Tell a parent about the dangers of smoking") - but there is another part of THAT requirement ("or other adult").

      Our goal is to help the boy in achieving his best.

      For the Boys,
      Brant