Eagle Scout Mentor Pin

  • Alan Smason
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 22, 2005
      Although this is a bit off topic insofar as it is not, strictly
      speaking, a training question, I thought I would put it to this
      group since it has such highly experienced Scouters who are vocal
      about a number of important topics. At last night's Eagle Scout
      Court of Honor, I was selected by the Eagle Scout to receive the
      very first Eagle Scout Mentor pin given at one of our troop's courts
      of honor. I was very surprised to receive this award, but its
      ascceptance brings about some questions. First of all, is this a
      non-uniform award in that it is only to be worn on regular everyday
      wear or can it be worn on a Scouting uniform? (Not knowing where it
      belonged, he pinned it on my shoulder.) Second, if it is permitted
      to be worn on a uniform, where would the preferred place be to
      display it? Or, is this award intended to be put aside and
      merely "collected" by Scouters, friends, or non-traditional
      parents? Any comments or answers would be appreciated.

      Alan Smason
      Southeast Louisiana Council
    • Scouter Chuck
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 22, 2005
        Alan Smason wrote...

        > At last night's Eagle Scout Court of Honor, I was selected by the
        Eagle Scout to receive the very first Eagle Scout Mentor pin given
        > at one of our troop's courts of honor.

        Concratulations!

        [snip]
        > First of all, is this a non-uniform award in that it is only to be
        > worn on regular everyday wear

        Yes. It's equivalent to the Father's Pin, which is civilian wear
        only.

        Several years ago, the Troop I worked with had a boy from a broken home.
        At his ECOH, not haveing Mentor's pins at the time, 7 of us who were
        SM/ASM that helped him along recieved the "Father's Pin". They was
        done with permission of the Council.

        So, it is not a uniform wear item (Unless you put in on a neckerchief
        slide ;) ).

        I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
        -- Stephen R. Covey
      • Alan Smason
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 22, 2005
          Thanks for the information and congratulations, Chuck. Please give my
          regards to David Gironda and Lee Shedroff in your council if you see them.

          Yours ever in Scouting,

          Alan Smason

          > At last night's Eagle Scout Court of Honor, I was selected by the
          Eagle Scout to receive the very first Eagle Scout Mentor pin given
          > at one of our troop's courts of honor.

          Concratulations!

          [snip]
          > First of all, is this a non-uniform award in that it is only to be
          > worn on regular everyday wear

          Yes. It's equivalent to the Father's Pin, which is civilian wear
          only.

          Several years ago, the Troop I worked with had a boy from a broken home.
          At his ECOH, not haveing Mentor's pins at the time, 7 of us who were
          SM/ASM that helped him along recieved the "Father's Pin". They was
          done with permission of the Council.

          So, it is not a uniform wear item (Unless you put in on a neckerchief
          slide ;) ).

          I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95

          Yahoo! Groups Links