Venturing Specific

  • Debbie Beer
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 21, 2005
      Does anyone know exactly how long it takes to put on Venturing Specific training. I am being given four hours minus one hour for a lunch break to present Venturing Specific. Will that be enough time if they have already had New Leader Essentials training and youth protection training.

    • Larry D. Ohs
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 21, 2005
        Debbie: I don't have my syllabus with me at work today to give you the exact timing but three hours is not enough. Venturing has its own Youth Protection training as part of the Venturing Leader Specific. It deals with the coed issues of older teens in addition to the standard rules. Our Council schedules VLS training from 9 to 5 with an hour lunch break.

        Larry Ohs
        Cornhusker Council Venturing Committee
        Salt Valley District Training Committee
        2005 Jamboree Boating Staff
        "...and a good old Fox, too." W5-63-00

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 21, 2005
          I have given this training at least a dozen times in the last three
          years. VLST or Venturing Leader Specific Training syllabus is 305
          minutes long (5+ hours) without breaks or Q&A. We usually run this
          course in 5.5± hours. You could probably run it in about 4 hrs without
          the game and with a very small group. But, with almost an hour and a
          half of video alone, to do it in any less time would be a disservice to
          the participants and the training in my humble opinion.
          Yours in Scouting,

          Jim Ball
          Council Training Chairman
          Central Florida Council (Orlando)

          On Feb 21, 2005, at 10:19 AM, Debbie Beer wrote:

          > Does anyone know exactly how long it takes to put on Venturing
          > Specific training. I am being given four hours minus one hour for a
          > lunch break to present Venturing Specific. Will that be enough time
          > if they have already had New Leader Essentials training and youth
          > protection training.

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Kris Monroe
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 21, 2005
            Has the syllabus changed recently?

            Several years ago in a neighboring council I went to their Uof S and got
            my Trained strip and card in a 2 hour block. No videos at all, no
            games. I certainly didn't leave there feeling like I was prepared to
            run a crew, but as far as they were concerned, I was trained.

            Its kind of disturbing when you think about how differently the program
            is run from place to place.

            Kris

            Jim wrote:

            >I have given this training at least a dozen times in the last three
            >years. VLST or Venturing Leader Specific Training syllabus is 305
            >minutes long (5+ hours) without breaks or Q&A. We usually run this
            >course in 5.5± hours. You could probably run it in about 4 hrs without
            >the game and with a very small group. But, with almost an hour and a
            >half of video alone, to do it in any less time would be a disservice to
            >the participants and the training in my humble opinion.
            >Yours in Scouting,
            >
            >Jim Ball
            >Council Training Chairman
            >Central Florida Council (Orlando)
            >
            >On Feb 21, 2005, at 10:19 AM, Debbie Beer wrote:
            >

            >>Does anyone know exactly how long it takes to put on Venturing
            >>Specific training. I am being given four hours minus one hour for a
            >>lunch break to present Venturing Specific. Will that be enough time
            >>if they have already had New Leader Essentials training and youth
            >>protection training.

            >>For subscription and delevery options send a message to:
            >> scouter_t-help@yahoogroups.com
            >>
            >>Scouting The Net - http://www.ScoutingTheNet.com/
            >>Yahoo! Groups Links

            >Scouting The Net - http://www.ScoutingTheNet.com/
            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Larry D. Ohs
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 21, 2005
              Kris:

              The VLST I took in 2002 was an all-day event. Your two-hour training must have covered only 1/3rd of the course material. It is disturbing to know that a Council is willing to cut out that much of the material and still call you trained.

              Larry Ohs

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 21, 2005
                On Saturday I went through Venturing Leader Specific Training at our
                Council's University of Scouting. We did it over six 50-minute class
                periods (to accommodate the U of S schedule). This included Venturing Youth
                Protection, but did not include New Leader Essentials.

                There is often a lot of pressure to cut down training courses, and quite
                often neither the trainers nor the participants really mind (makes the
                training shorter and easier for them). I think what makes that easier is
                that our Position-Specific training courses are all over the lot on how much
                time is required and what elements are or are not included (NLE, YPT, IOLS,
                etc.) Without some uniformity, it is hard to build up the necessary
                expectation on the parts of trainers, schedulers, and participants that
                "Training takes x hours. Period." A first step would be to format all
                Scout training courses the same way, breaking them into uniform, numbered
                time segments (I like 50 minutes, but 30 or 75 would be fine) that would
                make it possible to either do all the segments together or do them over a
                series of evening sessions, and would make it easy for participants to pick
                up particular segments they might have missed, or want a refresher on. (For
                example, a Venturing adult who wants to take just a Venturing YP refresher
                would know from the class schedule to be there at 1:00 PM, the first class
                period after lunch, for Venturing 104.)

                Dan Kurtenbach
                Fairfax, VA
              • Debbie Beer
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 21, 2005
                  The program has changed. It keeps changing every year. Probably at that
                  time, that was the training, but now the training is more indepth.
                  > Several years ago in a neighboring council I went to their Uof S and got
                  > my Trained strip and card in a 2 hour block. No videos at all, no
                  > games. I certainly didn't leave there feeling like I was prepared to
                  > run a crew, but as far as they were concerned, I was trained.
                  >
                  > Its kind of disturbing when you think about how differently the program
                  > is run from place to place.
                  >
                  > Kris
                  >
                  > Jim wrote:
                  >
                  > >I have given this training at least a dozen times in the last three
                  > >years. VLST or Venturing Leader Specific Training syllabus is 305
                  > >minutes long (5+ hours) without breaks or Q&A. We usually run this
                  > >course in 5.5± hours. You could probably run it in about 4 hrs without
                  > >the game and with a very small group. But, with almost an hour and a
                  > >half of video alone, to do it in any less time would be a disservice to
                  > >the participants and the training in my humble opinion.
                  > >Yours in Scouting,
                  > >
                  > >Jim Ball
                  > >Council Training Chairman
                  > >Central Florida Council (Orlando)
                  > >
                  > >On Feb 21, 2005, at 10:19 AM, Debbie Beer wrote:
                  > >

                  > >>Does anyone know exactly how long it takes to put on Venturing
                  > >>Specific training. I am being given four hours minus one hour for a
                  > >>lunch break to present Venturing Specific. Will that be enough time
                  > >>if they have already had New Leader Essentials training and youth
                  > >>protection training.

                  > >>For subscription and delevery options send a message to:
                  > >> scouter_t-help@yahoogroups.com
                  > >>
                  > >>Scouting The Net - http://www.ScoutingTheNet.com/
                  > >>Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > >For subscription and delevery options send a message to:
                  > > scouter_t-help@yahoogroups.com
                  > >
                  > >Scouting The Net - http://www.ScoutingTheNet.com/
                  > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Scouter Chuck
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 22, 2005
                    This is what my District Venturing Trainer had to say...

                    > My wife has been to Philmont Training Center the last three years for
                    > Venturing Training and has taught VLST many many times. She says minimum of
                    > four hours. The course includes Venturing Youth Protection Training and
                    > Venturing Personal Safety Awareness (Venturing counterpart to "A Time to
                    > Tell/It happened to Me"). Note that the YP Training for Venturing is a
                    > different course than the Boy Scouting YP. It contains topics relevant to
                    > Venturing and its high school/college age coed environment. Personal Safety
                    > Awareness is for both youth and adults. It might be possible to squeeze the
                    > VLST course into three hours without YP and PSA, but these are part of the
                    > syllabus. They are generally not offered separately, so it would be unusual
                    > that someone would have had Venturing YP and PSA without the full VLST. The
                    > full course with breaks, lunch and a lot of questions/discussion could go a
                    > full day.
                    >
                    > Based on the comment about "already having YP," I'd say the key point is to
                    > understand that Venturing has its own YP. And I would bet its unlikely
                    > most people signed up for VLST "already have it".

                    That help anyone?

                    I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
                    -- Stephen R. Covey
                  • John Kullman
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 22, 2005
                      Hi Debby,
                      The Venturing Leadership Skills Course is intended to last all day. In
                      Denver we make sure that when they leave our class that they are fully
                      trained. That includes New Leader Essentials, if necessary, Fast Start
                      Training and Youth Protection Training with both Venturing Adult and Youth
                      versions. We also provide a lunch with our training class.

                      The VLST syllabus has changed several times but never very drastically. It
                      has always been all day training, and never 2 hours. The two hour class
                      sounds more like Fast Start.

                      We also run our course with what Denver call Chautauqua, which is like the
                      University of Scouting. We have had the VLST and added several specialized
                      Venturing classes that could also be taken by those not needing the Leader
                      Specific training.

                      Regards,
                      John

                      The program has changed. It keeps changing every year. Probably at that
                      time, that was the training, but now the training is more indepth.
                      > Several years ago in a neighboring council I went to their Uof S and got
                      > my Trained strip and card in a 2 hour block. No videos at all, no
                      > games. I certainly didn't leave there feeling like I was prepared to
                      > run a crew, but as far as they were concerned, I was trained.
                      >
                      > Its kind of disturbing when you think about how differently the program
                      > is run from place to place.
                      >
                      > Kris
                      >
                      > Jim wrote:
                      >
                      > >I have given this training at least a dozen times in the last three
                      > >years. VLST or Venturing Leader Specific Training syllabus is 305
                      > >minutes long (5+ hours) without breaks or Q&A. We usually run this
                      > >course in 5.5± hours. You could probably run it in about 4 hrs without
                      > >the game and with a very small group. But, with almost an hour and a
                      > >half of video alone, to do it in any less time would be a disservice to
                      > >the participants and the training in my humble opinion.
                      > >Yours in Scouting,
                      > >
                      > >Jim Ball
                      > >Council Training Chairman
                      > >Central Florida Council (Orlando)
                      > >
                      > >On Feb 21, 2005, at 10:19 AM, Debbie Beer wrote:
                      > >

                      > >>Does anyone know exactly how long it takes to put on Venturing
                      > >>Specific training. I am being given four hours minus one hour for a
                      > >>lunch break to present Venturing Specific. Will that be enough time
                      > >>if they have already had New Leader Essentials training and youth
                      > >>protection training.

                      > >>For subscription and delevery options send a message to:
                      > >> scouter_t-help@yahoogroups.com
                      > >>
                      > >>Scouting The Net - http://www.ScoutingTheNet.com/
                      > >>Yahoo! Groups Links

                      > >For subscription and delevery options send a message to:
                      > > scouter_t-help@yahoogroups.com
                      > >
                      > >Scouting The Net - http://www.ScoutingTheNet.com/
                      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • beer
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 22, 2005
                        Can you send me a list of the Venturing courses that you offer at your training college? Some information as to content would also be helpful

                        From: John Kullman <john.kullman@...>
                        Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:18:02 -0700

                        >Hi Debby,
                        >The Venturing Leadership Skills Course is intended to last all day. In
                        >Denver we make sure that when they leave our class that they are fully
                        >trained. That includes New Leader Essentials, if necessary, Fast Start
                        >Training and Youth Protection Training with both Venturing Adult and Youth
                        >versions. We also provide a lunch with our training class.
                        >
                        >The VLST syllabus has changed several times but never very drastically. It
                        >has always been all day training, and never 2 hours. The two hour class
                        >sounds more like Fast Start.
                        >
                        >We also run our course with what Denver call Chautauqua, which is like the
                        >University of Scouting. We have had the VLST and added several specialized
                        >Venturing classes that could also be taken by those not needing the Leader
                        >Specific training.
                        >
                        >Regards,
                        >John

                      • Michael Brown
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 22, 2005
                          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Kris Monroe <lightbulb@y...> wrote:
                          > Has the syllabus changed recently?

                          There have been minor changes over the years.

                          The course started off as a 4 hour course, soon expanding to 5
                          hours. As new changes to the Venturing program (new awards, etc),
                          they have updated the course.

                          Latest version is #33491D, which came out in 2002.

                          Michael Brown
                        • Kris Swank
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 22, 2005
                            We run the Venturing Specific on a week night from 6:00-10:30, Sometimes
                            shorter, it depends on how many folks are in attendance. When only 3
                            show up its hard to play the game. We do not show the whole Personal
                            Safety Awaareness, usually we show the Internet Safety/Stalking segment
                            and describe the others.
                            We have tried an all-day on weekends but it has not gone over well, very
                            few participants.
                            Kris Swank
                            OT Training Chair
                            East Texas Area Council
                            Associat Advisor Crew 589, Tyler TX
                          • Scott Eliason
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 24, 2005
                              Debbie and Group,

                              The current VLST takes a good five hours, to do completely and
                              correctly. Our course, which I put on 2-3 times a year, begins
                              instruction at 9 am and continues to 3:30 pm, with a 40 minute break
                              for lunch. We do take bathroom and stretch breaks from time to time,
                              but they don't use up much time. I have found that we can do the
                              entire Personal Safety Awareness with all three scenarios and stay
                              on time. You are only required to do one, so it is an area where
                              time lost can be made up.

                              There are things to remember and reinforce to Boy Scout and Cub
                              Scout program trainers and other volunteer and professional
                              Scouters.

                              1 - Fast Start is Venturing specific and is available on-line.
                              However, FS is also an integral part of VLST;

                              2 - Youth Protection for Venturing adults and youth is VERY
                              different from YP for CS and BS program adults and youth. The Adult
                              Youth Protection program used in long and short forms with Cub and
                              Boy Scout leaders is inadequate for Venturing leaders and will NOT
                              substitute for it. "A Time To Tell" and "It Happened To Me" work
                              very well for the younger youth and are age appropriate for the
                              programs. Personal Safety Awareness is for older youth and we need
                              to stay with the age appropriate training programs;

                              3 - A Venturing leader is fully trained with Fast Start and VLST.
                              Outdoor crew leaders are encouraged to attend Introduction to
                              Outdoor Skills, if not already done, but it is not required; and
                              finally,

                              4 - Short-cutting and condensing any of our adult training programs
                              by districts and councils is short-sighted and an insult to the
                              integrity of the programs and our adult leaders.

                              We trainers need to insist on fully training adults and not be bull-
                              dozed by the thinking that adults can't afford the time required to
                              be trained. We need to find innovative ways to get the training to
                              the adults, if necessary, but train them we must. James West said it
                              best, Training, Training and Training.

                              In short, No, Debbie, four hours is insufficient, New Leader
                              Essentials is separate training, and they will likely have not
                              already had the correct youth protection training.

                              Scott Eliason
                              Venturing Training Coordinator, Aquila District, Chief Seattle
                              Council
                              Advisor, Venturing Crew 391, Des Moines, Washington

                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 25, 2005
                                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Eliason" <sreliason@m...>
                                wrote:

                                > 3 - A Venturing leader is fully trained with Fast Start and VLST.
                                > Outdoor crew leaders are encouraged to attend Introduction to
                                > Outdoor Skills, if not already done, but it is not required; and
                                > finally,

                                You forgot NLE. :) Otherwise an excellent post!

                                Michael Brown