Re: Trainer Development Conference

  • Ida Lively
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 31, 2005
      In my District, an experienced Trainer is one that has either attended TDC
      and worked as an assistant for a trainer and then led at least one training
      (or equivalent).

      We have 'trainers' come to us from all areas. One of my favorite new
      trainers attended a 'communications' session of Cub College. I just
      happened to have a free period, and was monitoring that class.

      The new trainer, a mild-mannered, laid-back personality, asked several
      questions, asking for clarifications, and was even picked to be part of the
      presentation (to draw a Wood Badge totem for the Eagle Patrol of NE....).
      He sat with his back to the drawer, and told them what to draw. Then he sat
      facing the drawer, and gave directions. Then, the new trainer was handed a
      direction by direction explanation of how to draw the totem (Draw a large
      capital M in the center of your page ...). The class learned how hard it
      really was to communicate, without knowing what you need to know, and seeing
      what the student understands. It turns out that the new trainer's job is to
      train hostage negotiators for the PA Department of Police.

      Obviously, he needed less training on 'how to train' than others. The same
      would hold true with other 'professional teachers.' Hopefully, they would
      need to be coached less with how to teach, but they might need more
      information on 'how adults learn.' [It really is a different process than
      what you use with children.]

      Hope that helps!

      Ida
    • joedet@Hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 21, 2006
        We are doing a Trainer Development Conference and I would like to know any
        jokes or stunts people have that could help with this. I seem to remember
        the car crash but don't know how it went. If you have any NASCAR Jokes that
        would be helpful, it is a BSA 500 theme.

        Thank you
        joedet
        Bip

      • Michael Brown
        Message 3 of 27 , Nov 21, 2007
          We have heard for several months that the Trainer Development Conference was being reworked to use the EDGE principles of Wood Badge, NYLT, etc.

          We also have heard that (a) it would be out before summer 2007 (b) it would be introduced at Philmonth (c) it would be out at or before Top Hands in the fall.

          We have yet to see it. The local Scout Shop knows nothing about it.

          What have you heard? Does anyone have it? Has anyone seen it? Impressions? How did you get it?

          Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving!

          Michael Brown
          San Francisco Bay Area Council

        • Alan Smason
          Message 4 of 27 , Nov 22, 2007
            Yes, Michael. It is certainly time. Whether the EDGE principles are
            introduced or not, the present course work for the Trainer Development
            Conference seems in serious need of updating. Our council trained 22 new
            trainers this year, but a number of them attended because it was required
            that they attend or staff a TDC within the past 3 years in order to serve on
            the staff for the upcoming Wood Badge course.
            When the TDC was new to our council some six or so years ago, we drew
            upwards of 90 trainers. Many of them never returned to attend another
            conference because they saw nothing new being offered in the intervening
            years.
            Personally, I would prefer more time be spent on computer slide show
            presentations rather than on white boards, chalk boards, flannel boards, or
            magnet boards. But as Seinfeld observed..."not that there's anything wrong
            with that!"

            Happy Thanksgiving,

            Alan Smason
            2007 Trainer Development Conference
            Southeaast Louisiana Council

            Message 5 of 27 , Nov 22, 2007
              At the Southern Region WB Course Director's Conference earlier this month,
              we were told it was now expected in spring 2008.

              Teresa Hall
              SR-889 SM
              Greater AL Council

              On 11/22/07, Alan Smason <asmason@...> wrote:

              > Yes, Michael. It is certainly time. Whether the EDGE principles are
              > introduced or not, the present course work for the Trainer Development
              > Conference seems in serious need of updating. Our council trained 22 new
              > trainers this year, but a number of them attended because it was required
              > that they attend or staff a TDC within the past 3 years in order to serve
              > on
              > the staff for the upcoming Wood Badge course.
              > When the TDC was new to our council some six or so years ago, we drew
              > upwards of 90 trainers. Many of them never returned to attend another
              > conference because they saw nothing new being offered in the intervening
              > years.
              > Personally, I would prefer more time be spent on computer slide show
              > presentations rather than on white boards, chalk boards, flannel boards,
              > or
              > magnet boards. But as Seinfeld observed..."not that there's anything
              > wrong
              > with that!"
              >
              > Happy Thanksgiving,
              >
              > Alan Smason
              > 2007 Trainer Development Conference
              > Southeaast Louisiana Council

            • Sandra Martens
              Message 6 of 27 , Nov 22, 2007
                I went through a pilot Trainer's edge in October. The word we got was that the TDC will stay as it is for Cub Scout trainers and the Trainer's edge is geared for NYLT trainers and Boy Scout trainers. (they teach the EDGE process at NYLT and Woodbadge) they will both be done.

                I think that's kinda dumb. At the trainer's edge they seemed to assume you knew training techniques and training aids to use, etc. (the stuff taught at TDC). However, in our council at least, most of our BS trainers have never trained in the CS area and don't know these basics.

                Besides, our council is small, and to try to hold both with staff, etc is almost impossible. we'd have to double up with at least one other council to put on both training sessions effectively. And how do you tell someone who does both BS and CS training that they need to take both?

                Sandy OWL

                  Message 8 of 27 , Nov 22, 2007
                    Michael,
                    We have an EDGE course promised to take place in April 2008.
                    Can't wait, since I agree with the other posters, the Trainer Development
                    Conference was not too helpful for me.
                    Hope you all enjoyed your turkey :-)

                    Corinna Jones
                    Detroit Area Council

                    > We have heard for several months that the Trainer Development Conference
                    > was being reworked to use the EDGE principles of Wood Badge, NYLT, etc.
                    >
                    > We also have heard that (a) it would be out before summer 2007 (b) it
                    > would be introduced at Philmonth (c) it would be out at or before Top
                    > Hands in the fall.
                    >
                    > We have yet to see it. The local Scout Shop knows nothing about it.
                    >
                    > What have you heard? Does anyone have it? Has anyone seen it?
                    > Impressions? How did you get it?
                    >
                    > Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving!
                    >
                    > Michael Brown
                    > San Francisco Bay Area Council

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Alan Smason
                    Message 9 of 27 , Nov 22, 2007
                      Sandy,
                      I mean no disrespect, but from someone whose area experienced power
                      outages of Biblical proportions, I can assure you that I know about having
                      to deal with adversity. Nevertheless, I must tell you that we are very
                      blessed in our Council to have Tulane University as the site of our Trainer
                      Development Conferences.
                      The state of the art equipment -- multi-media rooms with overhead
                      projectors, display screens that descend from the ceilings, computers with
                      Internet access, laptop hookups and, of course, chalk boards -- in the large
                      arena style classrooms truly make our Trainer Development Conferences top
                      notch. Tulane provides this space to us at no charge with the proviso that
                      we keep the classrooms neat, clean up after ourselves, and turn out the
                      lights on the way out.
                      However, just because we are spoiled doesn't mean that we couldn't
                      respond to a less than desirable situation. Our TDC staffers are very
                      capable. Were we to experience a power outage, I am certain we would grab
                      pens and pads to instruct our group and would even conduct sessions by
                      candlelight if necessary.
                      I agree that we all need to have backup plans for any contingency
                      (Plans B and C, right?), but shouldn't we avail ourselves of what resources
                      we may have to make training as effective and up to date as possible? As a
                      Microsoft Certified Engineer with A+ and other CompTIA certifications, I'm
                      also lucky that in the event of a fried CPU, I could repair it or replace it
                      in just a few minutes. I'll bet that there are similar fellows in your
                      district or council who could assist you in your presentations.
                      While you are correct that not everyone can afford to have state of the
                      art equipment, you might be surprised at what institutions and people in
                      your area who are willing to support Scouting at little or no cost to your
                      Council. As an example, Tulane's Engineering School believes that it does
                      itself a favor by being civic minded and exposing the Scouting segment to
                      its facilities. It even allows our district to put on our annual Merit
                      Badge College there each January at no charge. Perhaps there is a college
                      or university with similar facilities in your area.

                      Alan

                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 23, 2007
                          Sandy,
                          You got a good point. It also needs to be considered that many trainers
                          bring training to the units.
                          The other night we were at a local VFW hall, in the basement. The outlets
                          were fine (luckily), but there were some problems between the laptop
                          connection and the display unit.
                          The trainer was prepared and had set up his back-up, and proceeded
                          immediately to do it "manually".
                          I believe there is more to being a good trainer, other than being able to
                          put on a good PowerPoint presentation.

                          Corinna

> [...]
                          > also lucky that in the event of a fried CPU, I could repair it or replace
                          > it
                          > in just a few minutes. I'll bet that there are similar fellows in your
                          > district or council who could assist you in your presentations.
                          > While you are correct that not everyone can afford to have state of the
                          > art equipment, you might be surprised at what institutions and people in
                          > your area who are willing to support Scouting at little or no cost to your
                          > Council. As an example, Tulane's Engineering School believes that it does
                          > itself a favor by being civic minded and exposing the Scouting segment to
                          > its facilities. It even allows our district to put on our annual Merit
                          > Badge College there each January at no charge. Perhaps there is a college
                          > or university with similar facilities in your area.

                        • Mark Landry
                          Message 12 of 27 , Nov 23, 2007
                            Guys, all points are well taken. Alan, Tulane is great, as is the New
                            Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, where we just held University of
                            Scouting. But we also have our council camp, Camp V-Bar at Salmen Scout
                            Reservation, which is in the woods, north of Kiln, MS, where we run Intro to
                            Outdoor Leader Skills, and, in conjunction, the new Webelos Outdoor Skills
                            for Leaders. We do have good volunteers who have set up a LAN in our
                            training center, and we have satellite Internet access. However, many
                            trainings do not lend themselves to an indoor setting, and many of us want
                            to get outside and be in the open air. So we also use flipcharts,
                            newsprints, and other aids you do not have to plug in <g>. As scribe on
                            our last Wood Badge course, Alan knows this.

                            Alan's point is that there are resources that make offering the TDC easier
                            on volunteers. The content of the course is, to put it mildly, a bit behind
                            the times. I simply cannot remember ever using felt board, but I do use a
                            portable whiteboard and newsprint flipcharts to teach Citizenship in the
                            World at winter camp (the chapel where I teach most of the badge is too far
                            to pick up the WiFi signal, but the boys do use the computers to get some of
                            the information they need).

                            So, as trainers, we may be called upon to train a Cub Scout pack committee,
                            at their meeting place, the capabilities of which we will not know until we
                            get there, as well as at places where we regularly hold training. Some will
                            have Internet access, some will have electricity, and some will be far
                            enough out that you may need to backpack your training materials <g>. No
                            LCD projector for that one, but a simple binder with a few preprinted sheets
                            might work. Or you may have to make due with whatever you can find. As I
                            recall drawing a diagram is the dirt is still available.

                            The point it that the TDC should prepare trainers to train, and teach them
                            training skills that could be used in any of these situations. I am not
                            sure that it does. Teaching the EDGE principals may not teach people to
                            teach. Until the course changes, our good friend and kindergarten teacher,
                            Terry, is in charge of the feltboard session.

                            YIS,

                            Mark C. Landry

                            Training Chair

                            Southeast Louisiana Council

                            _____

                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 23, 2007
                              Sandy wrote: The word we got was that the TDC will stay as it is for Cub
                              Scout trainers and the Trainer's edge is geared for NYLT trainers and Boy
                              Scout trainers. (they teach the EDGE process at NYLT and Woodbadge) they
                              will both be done.

                              Since Cub Scout trainers also serve on Wood Badge staff, why would they be
                              left out of Trainer's edge? (What am I missing here?? Hope you can
                              straighten me out! Thanks)

                              Faun

                              Long Island, NY

                            • Sandra Martens

                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 24, 2007
                                  I had the pleasure of being in the 1st of 4 pilots of the Trainers
                                  EDGE course last June, what a way to spend my birthday :-> As
                                  presented to us, it is an advanced trainer course, not a replacement
                                  for TDC, but the next level after TDC. The target audience is the
                                  NYLT & Wood Badge staff. Personally it would be good for the TC staff
                                  as well. The development team was to take the feedback from our group
                                  and modify the material before he next pilot in late July or August.
                                  The material was very well presented by our staff.

                                  One comment in this message thread confused me. First, one respondent
                                  implied that only their Cub Scout trainers have being going through
                                  TDC instead of all trainers. All trainers today should have bene
                                  taking TDC since it came out the training box back in '01. This
                                  included Boy Scout, Varsty & Venturing Training. Yes, Pack Trainers
                                  are encouraged to attend the course, but that does not mean that other
                                  trainers were to stop taking the course. It only added an additional
                                  audience. In fact, TDC has been a requirement for Wood Badge staff
                                  members in out area since the 21st Century WB came out.

                                  Somebody else commented about focusing more on PowerPoint, and not
                                  flip charts, flannel boards, etc. I personally disagree with that
                                  statement for 3 reasons. First, not every trainer is good at using
                                  PowerPoint and technology in general. Second, technology is not
                                  always available. For example, part of the 2nd weekend of Wood Badge
                                  is taught in the field, where power should not be available. Other
                                  locations may not have the fancy resources that some of us use at work
                                  all the time. And third, we need to change up our presentations and
                                  use a variety to presentation techniques for out participants. They
                                  do not all learn the same way, and some need variety to not get bored
                                  and tune out. This is why our TDC staff use a variety of techniques
                                  to demonstrate them, and shw the benefit of shanging them up during
                                  the day. Don't forget the old adage that too much of a good thing is
                                  not good.

                                  I hope that you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday. This group
                                  is one of the things I am thnakful for, especially my Wood Badge
                                  sister on the group. Have a wonderful Christmas Season.

                                  Yours in Scouting,
                                  Ken
                                • Sandra Martens
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 24, 2007
                                    Ken-

                                    What I said was the EDGE course people told me that the TDC will be for CS trainers and the EDGE for BS trainers and youth trainers when it comes out. They may have mis-informed us, but that is what they said.

                                    TDC now is for all trainers- in fact, our camp staff and NYLT youth trainers go through it every year.

                                    Sandy OWL

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Nov 29, 2007
                                      It will definitely be interesting to see how The Trainers EDGE is
                                      implemented next year as all the feedback from the pilots are
                                      incorporated. Sounds like we have received different information from
                                      the developers as the pilots went on.