Merit Badge Counselors

  • David Roos
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 28, 2005
      This may not be directly related to the issue of training but I need
      to ask anyhow......

      I recently asked a Scoutmaster where he got his list of qualified
      Merit Badge Counselors. he told me that he did not use a District or
      Council list since all of the Merit BAdge work was either done at
      District or Council Camps. He further indicated that he was under
      the understanding that merit badge work done within the troop by the
      leaders did not require a " Official Merit Badge Conselor ".

      Is this accurate or does the merit badge work need to be done by a
      registered merit badge counselor????

      Are the boys who earned merit badges by a " Non Qualified " leader
      ineligible to receive the merit badge ?????

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Thanks
    • Richard Damon
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 28, 2005
        ALL merit badges must be done under a registered merit badge councilor. The
        councilor need not be there for all the work, but must make the final
        determination on completion of the badge. Without a registered councilor for
        the badge the boy is risking having the badges award revoked if a question
        comes up. (and as a side note, the SM is not automatically a councilor for
        badges like camping.)

        Richard Damon

        --

        <mailto:rbrdamon@...> rbrdamon@... (Home)

        <mailto:rdamon@...> rdamon@... (Work)

        ScoutMaster, Troop 302

        Pack Trainer, Pack 306, Arlington, MA

        District Member at Large, Training Committee, Sons of Liberty District

        Boston Minuteman Council

        I used to be a fox... (NE-I-209)

        and a staffer too (NE-I-234)

      • Rick Pushies
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 28, 2005
          Merit badge counselor must be approved and regisitered. A Scout going
          before an Eagle Board of Review could become very dissapointed when
          un-approved and un-registed merit badge counselors have been used.

          This is extracted directly from the Advancement Committee Policies
          and Procedures.

          "Troop and Team Merit Badge Counselors
          As a practical approach to providing merit badge counselors, troop
          and team committees may establish their own lists of counselors, if
          necessary, at least for the required and more popular merit badges.
          The Troop Resource Survey, available from the council service center,
          can be used to identify parents and others in the neighborhood who
          can serve as merit badge counselors.

          All merit badge counselors, even those who serve only one unit, must
          be approved by the council and district advancement committee, and
          counselors must register as a merit badge counselor
          (see "Qualifications of Counselors"). However, it is essential that a
          district have the most complete list of merit badge counselors that
          is possible. Thus, troops and teams should be encouraged to share
          lists of counselors willing to assist districtwide or councilwide."

          "Qualifications of Counselors
          Persons serving as merit badge counselors must be registered as a
          merit badge counselor with the Boy Scouts of America. They must be
          men and women of good character, age 18 or older, and recognized as
          having the skills and education in the subjects for which they are to
          serve as merit badge counselors, as well as having the ability to
          work with Scout­age boys.

          Register merit badge counselors by using the basic adult registration
          form. All merit badge counselors must be approved by the council
          advancement committee. Merit badge counselors are not required to pay
          a fee if they are only registered as merit badge counselors.

          There is no restriction or limit on the number of merit badges an
          individual may be approved to counsel for, but they must be approved
          by the committee for each specific merit badge.

          There is no limit on the number of merit badges a youth may earn from
          one counselor.

          An approved merit badge counselor may counsel any youth member,
          including his or her own son, ward, or relative.

          Older Venturers, age 18 or older, make excellent counselors."

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "David Roos" <droos@m...> wrote:

          > This may not be directly related to the issue of training but I
          need
          > to ask anyhow......
          >
          > I recently asked a Scoutmaster where he got his list of qualified
          > Merit Badge Counselors. he told me that he did not use a District
          or
          > Council list since all of the Merit BAdge work was either done at
          > District or Council Camps. He further indicated that he was under
          > the understanding that merit badge work done within the troop by
          the
          > leaders did not require a " Official Merit Badge Conselor ".
          >
          > Is this accurate or does the merit badge work need to be done by a
          > registered merit badge counselor????
          >
          > Are the boys who earned merit badges by a " Non Qualified " leader
          > ineligible to receive the merit badge ?????
          >
          > Any help would be appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks
        • David Roos
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 28, 2005
            So does that mean all of the merit badges awarded can be revoked ?

            Are there no checks and balances at District or Council levels ?

            Are the Eagle Scouts truly Eagles ?
          • Scouter Chuck
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 28, 2005
              David Roos wrote...

              > So does that mean all of the merit badges awarded can be revoked ?

              While I have heard of this possibility, I have not seen or heard of
              it actually occurring YET. But it could, under the right set of
              circumstances.

              > Are there no checks and balances at District or Council levels ?

              How would they enforce it? Does the staff have the time and
              resources to verify ever counsellor on the advancement report,
              with the unit advancement chair standing there tapping one foot?

              > Are the Eagle Scouts truly Eagles ?

              If they truly earned it, they are. This is a problem that the boys
              have little control over. The problem is completely adult created,
              because some don't feel the need to follow rules.

              I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
              -- Stephen R. Covey
            • Mark Neblung
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 29, 2005
                So does that mean all of the merit badges awarded can be revoked ?

                The wording in the "Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures" book
                states, "A merit badge cannot be taken away once it has been earned,
                provided the counselor is a registered counselor for the merit badge."
                So yes, if a Scout is in a Troop that doesn't want to follow the rules,
                the scout could be the one who suffers. Not the I personally know of
                anyone it's happened to, but the wording from National clearly makes it
                possible.

                Mark Neblung
                Troop 264
                Crew 215

              • Dave Loomis
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 29, 2005
                  This gives more weight to insuring that the Scoutmaster receives
                  and saves a listing of approved merit badge counselors from an out of
                  council scout camp, because your council may not have this listing which
                  sets the Scouts up for challenge of a merit badge. In your own council
                  your council advancement committee is responsible for insuring that the
                  person SIGNING the merit badge application, not necessarily the ones
                  actually doing the instruction, is over the age of 21, and competent to
                  sort good information, in the classes or examinations, from trash.
                  Having the program area director sign off on merit badges is very
                  common, especially when the classes are taught by older scouts, which is
                  frequently the case in the waterfront badges, and perhaps the craft and
                  nature badges as well.

                  Dave

                  Mark Neblung wrote:

                  > So does that mean all of the merit badges awarded can be revoked ?
                  >

                  > The wording in the "Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures" book
                  > states, "A merit badge cannot be taken away once it has been earned,
                  > provided the counselor is a registered counselor for the merit badge."
                  > So yes, if a Scout is in a Troop that doesn't want to follow the rules,
                  > the scout could be the one who suffers. Not the I personally know of
                  > anyone it's happened to, but the wording from National clearly makes it
                  > possible.
                  >
                  > Mark Neblung
                  > Troop 264
                  > Crew 215

                  To reply, click on the address below.

                  Dave Loomis dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
                  245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
                  Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349

                • smt451
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 18, 2012
                    I'm currently engaged in an ongoing discussion with the Council Advancement Chair about the procedure currently used to re-register merit badge counselors.

                    Currently, our council requires that we submit a new copy of the merit badge counselor information sheet (BSA Form 34405) each year regardless of whether any information has changed. This form is then reviewed each year by the advancement committee before approval or rejection.

                    I am arguing that a simple "Yes I will continue" or "No I will not continue" response should be adequate for all but the few merit badges with specific qualification criteria spelled out in the Guide to Advancement. And that the screening process should occur before the invitation to renew is sent to the counselor.

                    I'm curious as to what the renewal process is in your neck of the woods.

                    Ned Darden
                    SM Emeritus, T451
                    Pace, FL
                    On the beautiful Redneck Riveria
                  • A. Dukovic
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 18, 2012
                      BSAs answers are in the "Merit Badge Program" on Scouting.org but you're on the right track, because there's variations to getting the job done easier.  What worked best for us was having each District Advancement Chair initially review & approve the applications and then present their list to the council committee for final approval; thinking here was that the District folks know better both the applicants and their references, in most cases??

                      What's gonna change things are todays headlines, as YPT completion, MUST considered before any counselor is going to be "approved" as with any other volunteer in the future so you're NOT going to get away from "verifying" all counselors at least every 2 years to coincide with YPT certification.  The days of "do ya wanna??" only, are gone forever, I'm afraid thanks to the lawyers??

                      - Art