Re: Requiring training

  • Ken.Walker@mscsoftware.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 27, 2005
      I'm just catching up on this thread....

      Our troop also requires all ASMs to be trained.
      New adult leaders are first added to the committee.
      *IF* they continue to demonstrate interest and commitment for a few months,
      and attend district training, THEN they can move to an ASM position.
      Otherwise, they remain on the committee. Note: the committee isn't the
      "untrained leper colony". Many of our committee members are trained, but
      choose to help in that way. <grin>

      The unit pays for all training (1/2 for Wood Badge once you earn your
      beads).

      Our charter org also requires ALL youth leaders to have a background check
      (w/ finger prints!), YPT, and it must be renewed annually.

      Our old pack didn't REQUIRE training, but we highly encouraged it. We used
      the suggestion: "invest a few hours now, save days later". A trained den
      leader is much more efficient and effective (IMHO).

      -Ken Walker
      T-259 Plano, TX
      Great Plains District
      Circle Ten Council