Re: What is a "Trained" Leader?

  • Richard Pushies
    Message 1 of 29 , Jan 16, 2005
      Dear Diane,

      The reference to my comments is the Leadership Training Committee
      Guide, #34169F. This is the official publication of the Boy Scouts of
      America regarding training.

      "The local council is the final authority in interpreting and
      approving all training awards. Interpretation of the requirements for
      the various awards is the responsibility of the council training
      committee." taken from Leadership Training Committee Guide, #34169F.

      So,your council may have interpreted the requirements to include
      Youth Protection Training for all training awards (knots). However
      the requirements for training awards published in the Leadership
      Training Committee Guide DO NOT list Youth Protection Training as a
      requirement for all training awards.

      The Cub Scout Training Awards (knots) DO require Youth Protection
      Training. All the other Training Awards (Boy Scout, Varsity,
      Venturing, Commissioner, Roundtable, Sea Scouting) DO NOT REQUIRE
      Youth Protection Training.

      So, if your comment is that your local council has interpreted the
      requirements to include Youth Protection Training for all training
      awards (knots), your may be correct. If your comment is a statement
      about the requirements published by the Boy Scouts of America for
      Training Awards (knots), your statements is only correct for Scouters
      earning Training Awards within the Cub Scout Program.

      Yours Truly in Scouting,
      Rick Pushies

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Polyak <bjpolyak64@y...>
      wrote:
      > For the trained patch, a leader must complete basic training- fast
      start [orientation], new leaders essentials and leader specific.
      For "knots", youth protection must be completed.

      > As council training chair, I direct training team to ask leaders if
      they have taken fast start [either online or video]. We rely on the
      leader to honestly say if they have completed the training. At our
      day long training events, we show fast start during lunch. On the
      evening trainings, we have it on hand for participants to watch or
      to take home. We also coordinate with the School Night for Scouting
      folks to encourage showing video the night adults sign up to be
      leaders.

      > We have begun a new Cub Scout Leader 101 where we give leaders
      resources for the first month of meetings- plus we show fast start at
      the very end. This allows leaders to choose to stick around or do it
      at home.

      > Diane Polyak
      > Sioux Council Training Chair
      >
      > Basically, we expect leaders to be trustworthy and to let us know
      if they have had the training.

      > John Halter <john@p...> wrote:
      > Not trying to be argumentative, but the website you list does not
      say
      > that it is required for a leader to be around scouts. It says that:
      > "BSA Youth Protection Training is now *required* for at least one
      adult
      > present during any event or activity needed a local or national
      tour
      > permit. Further, every adult participating in nationally sponsored
      > events and activities must be trained in BSA Youth Protection."
      > I agree that it would be a good idea to require all leaders to
      receive
      > YP training, but the original question was whether or not it was
      > required to be considered Trained.
      > Having said that, Jim pointed out something that I had overlooked
      when I
      > posted earlier. The National web page I was referring to does list
      Fast
      > Start Orientation as one of the portions of training to be
      considered
      > trained. My question to everyone is this, how many districts
      conduct
      > Fast Start Orientation? How does the training team/chair verify
      that
      > Fast Start has been completed before they award the leader with
      their
      > Trained strip? Do they even ask? I know our district does not
      conduct
      > Fast Start Orientation and it is not required before we issue the
      leader
      > their training card and strip.
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > John Halter
      > Pack Trainer
      > Pack 230 Apopka Florida
      > www.pack230.com
      > Assistant Scoutmaster
      > Troop 936 Longwood Florida
      > Wekiwa District Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
      > www.wekiwa.org
      > "PackDude" at www.Scoutboard.com
      > ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
      >

      > edward michelin wrote:
      >
      > > To all
      > > Please try this website - It set forth the national guildlines.
      > > I hope everyone will agree that even though as some have pointed
      out
      > > that YP is Supplemental traing. It is required supplemental
      training -
      > > not required for the "trained Patch" but none the less required
      to be
      > > around scouts.
      > >
      > > If you can't go directly to this site - cut and paste it to your
      url

      > > http://www.boyscouts-ncac.org/pages/71_youth_protection.cfm
      > >

      > > Wendell Brown <wbrown@a...> wrote:
      > > JimK wrote:
      > >
      > > >I don't see this question getting answered adequately. Half the
      > > >say YP is required while the other half say it isn't. This is
      one of my
      > > >frustrations with Scouting: conflicting and/or missing
      information.
      > > >Obviously, people responding from memory is not sufficient for
      this
      > > >particular detail. Would someone like to quote from a National
      > > source (not
      > > >another mailing list)? Hopefully that will put this to rest.
      > > >

      > > Ok, I'll take a stab at it. Check out this URL (it comes
      directly from
      > > National):
      > >
      > > http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resources/18-813/
      > >

      > > What Makes a Trained Leader?
      > >
      > > * *Cub Scout leaders* are considered trained when they have
      > > completed New Leader Essentials and the Cub Scout Leader
      Specific
      > > training for their position.
      > > * *Scoutmasters and assistant Scoutmasters* are considered
      trained
      > > when they have completed New Leader Essentials, Scoutmaster
      and
      > > Assistant Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training, and
      Introduction
      > > to Outdoor Leader Skills.
      > > * *Troop committee members* are considered trained when they
      have
      > > completed New Leader Essentials and the Troop Committee
      Challenge
      > > as their Leader Specific training.
      > > * *Varsity Scout leaders and assistants* are considered
      trained when
      > > they have completed New Leader Essentials, Varsity Scout
      Leader
      > > Specific Training (available April 2002), and Introduction
      > > Outdoor Leader Skills.
      > > * *Venturing crew Advisors, assistant Advisors, and crew
      committee
      > > members* are considered trained when they have completed New
      > > Leader Essentials and Venturing Leader Specific Training.
      > >
      > > Wendell Brown
      > > Scouter_T Moderator

      > > scouter_t-help@yahoogroups.com
      > >
      > > Scouting The Net - http://www.ScoutingTheNet.com/