RE: [Scouter_T] Training

  • Marshall J Creighton
    Message 1 of 29 , Mar 21, 2001
      Frank, you're probably right about they way I go about asking for
      "volunteers". Each session of CSBLT and BSBLT I do ( and I have done a lot
      of them), I'm always on the lookout for potential candidates. If they
      start coming to roundtable, then I figure I got a good shot at them. I
      take leader training very seriously and maybe pass over those who don't
      meet with my "standards". But, that's just who I am. I'm a firm believer
      that a few well trained leaders are better than a lot of poorly trained
      leaders. Maybe my approach is wrong, but I haven't lost too many leaders
      in the past couple of years. Anyway, thanks for the info, I'll "do my
      best" to implement your suggestions

      Marshall Creighton
      Fellow Webelos Den Leader - Pack 191 ( just another one of my hats)

      "Maddalena,
      Frank" To: "'scouter_t@yahoogroups.com'" <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>
      <maddalenaf@c cc:
      oned.com> Subject: RE: [Scouter_T] Training

      03/21/2001
      12:39 PM
      Please
      respond to
      scouter_t

      Marshall as with anything or anytime you ask someone to "volunteer" to
      help,
      a few things set into motion. The 1st one that comes to mind is "I'm too
      busy". Then there is the "someone better then me can do it" or " I wouldn't
      know how to do/teach that". I could go on for pages as I am sure we all
      could about excuses we have heard. If you approach a person in a one on one
      setting and explain to them what is expected of them and then try to
      answer/alleviate their fears & concerns you are more likely to get
      volunteers to staff the training courses for your district. You need to
      have
      a few ideas/positions available for people to fill so that when they say
      "that's not for me" you can reply "how about doing the __________ ? or
      _________________? Sooner or later you will hit on something they are
      willing to commit to even if it is just to make the coffee and do
      registration! Remember we are volunteers (no pay remember) so there is no
      harm in having 5 people do registration and get their feet wet in the
      training pool. You need people to work behind the scenes as well: set up ;
      clean up; photo copy; prepare handouts, etc. the more helping hands you can
      get the less work each one has to do and it makes the training team a fun
      thing! Above all else always, always have some back up reliable people in
      case you new recruit gets cold feet at the last second! Being the newest
      and
      youngest member of my training staff here I hope I can bring the energy
      that
      I brought to my pack when I joined them! Energy and enthusiasm are
      contagious, so lets go out and spread it!

      Frank Maddalena
      GNYC Pack 20 Webelos den leader
      Council training Staff
      Round table Comm.

      Message 2 of 29 , Mar 21, 2001
        I whole heartily agree with the fact that it's best to work with experienced
        well seasoned trainers! You need to remember that we were once all in the
        dark and someone trained us! You need to look at those people you pass over
        a second time and see if they can fill in as support staff and learn the
        ropes of how o be a good trainer and with someone as you to teach them a
        great trainer!

        Frank Maddalena

        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 23, 2004
          All

          How do I produce a report from TroopMaster Me that list all the training
          done so far by all the adults.

          Thanks Pete Kenny, SM Troop 1270
        • Ida Lively
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 10, 2004
            Aww, shucks, Wendell!

            Thanks for the thanks. <*grin*>

            This list has been pretty quiet, so I guess I'll stir things up.

            I'm hearing from more and more people that Saturday trainings do not work
            for them. So, this year, with a year of experience as Cub Trainer under my
            belt, I'm making a noted effort to offer evening training sessions
            especially at Roundtable. We have 9 RT meetings in the year, and I know of
            at least 4 that have Training Scheduled.

            Since Thursdays (RT day) might not work for everyone, I'm looking at doing
            some other weekday evening trainings. So, here come the questions:

            1) Where do you hold your training sessions
            2) What do they charge you for building use
            3) How often do you hold each of the following training sessions
            New Leader Essentials
            Youth Protection
            Cub Scout Leader Specific Training
            Troop Committee Challenge
            Chartered Organizational Representative Training
            Den Chief Training
            4) How often (if ever) do you hold group-requested training

            For the record, here are my answers

            1) Usually local schools, although two a year (Council level) are out at
            Scout Camp

            2) Schools on Saturday cost us $20/hr for a custodian.
            We had been able to get rooms at the local university, but they've
            changed their policy for room usage, and now we can't get in.

            3) NLE - twice at district, twice at council
            Youth Protection - twice at district, twice at council
            Cub Scout Leader Specific - twice at district, twice at council
            Troop Committee Challenge - once at district, twice at council
            COR - once at council
            Den Chief - once at district, twice at council
            4) Twice last year -- both Troop Committee

            FYI, I know that NLE and YP along with some Red Cross certifications were
            available at our Scout Camp last year, because I had the pleasure of leading
            the NLE sessions out there (one each of the 4 weeks of our Boy Scout camp,
            we tried having training for Webelos Leaders, but they showed no interest).

            I'll be out there again this year teaching NLE. Have flipchart will travel!

            --

            Ida Lively
            - Juniata Valley Council, Nittany Mountain District Training Chair

            "Train them up in the way they should go..."
          • Kevin Pate
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 10, 2004
              > Thanks for the thanks. <*grin*>
              Ditto

              > 1) Where do you hold your training sessions

              Most districts within the council use various church
              facilities for NLE, various leader Position Specific
              segments, YPT, SSD/SA, etc. Sometimes a local camp
              (YPT offered at a camporee, SSD/SA or Climb on Safely
              offered to leaders at resident camp, etc.

              Pow-Wow is typically at a high school, but other
              locations have also been utilized in past years.

              IOLS, OST, WLOT, BALOO, Wood Badge are taught
              outdoors, natch, typically at a council camp property,
              though sometimes a city or state park.

              > 2) What do they charge you for building use
              Except for thePow-Wow building, and I don't know that
              cost, we don't typically get assessed a facility fee
              for the churches.

              > 3) How often do you hold each of the following
              > training sessions
              > New Leader Essentials
              > Youth Protection
              > Cub Scout Leader Specific Training
              > Troop Committee Challenge
              > Chartered Organizational Representative
              > Training
              > Den Chief Training

              All vary by district.

              In my district,NLE is 8-9 X a year, or more, as it's
              an option to RT each non-summer month.

              The remaining opportunities range from about 1 - 3
              times per year per district (Cub PST, SM PST, SSD/SA
              for example) to once or twice a year
              council-wide(BALOO, IOLS, OST, WB, COPE
              Facilitator,Climb on Safely)

              >4) How often (if ever) do you hold group-requested
              > training

              Can't speak to other districts but our current
              district trainng chair and a fewtrainers do appear
              willing to do whatever they can to bring together a
              team to deliver a course, especially NLE and TCC.

              http://messenger.yahoo.com/
            • JNDunnMN@aol.com
              Message 6 of 29 , Jun 10, 2004
                In a message dated 6/10/04 7:28:51 AM, glezen@... writes:

                > 1) Where do you hold your training sessions

                Generally, local churches with large Sunday School facilities. This allows us
                to do breakouts. Schools are really difficult to access on weekends.

                > 2) What do they charge you for building use

                Cost is $100 - $150 for the day, or $10-20 per hour for evenings.

                > 3) How often do you hold each of the following training sessions
                >         New Leader Essentials
                > 5-6x, three Saturdays, three evenings
                >         Youth Protection
                > 6-8x
                >         Cub Scout Leader Specific Training
                > 5x - three Saturdays, two evenings
                >         Troop Committee Challenge
                > 2x and on demand in units
                >         Chartered Organizational Representative Training
                > Only at the council level
                >         Den Chief Training
                > 2x

                > 4) How often (if ever) do you hold group-requested training
                > We will go anywhere and teach any thing, if the unit can get
                4-5 people together. I understand that Troop committee challenge is the only
                "on demand" Boy Scout specific course that gets this treatment. The Boy Scout
                trainers (of whom I am no longer one) feel that SM/ASM position specific doesn't
                work well on a troop level.

                YiS,
                Jamie Dunn
                Pack Trainer
                P. 512
                Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                Cub Scout Training Chair
                3 Rivers District

              • JNDunnMN@aol.com
                Message 7 of 29 , Jun 10, 2004
                  I should have provided this context to my post. We are a geographically large
                  district (two full counties and part of a third). We have 45+ Cub Packs,
                  approx 30 Boy Scout Troops, and 25+ Venturing Crews, with approx 1500 adult
                  leaders registered.

                  YiS,
                  Jamie Dunn
                  Pack Trainer
                  P. 512
                  Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                  Cub Scout Training Chair
                  3 Rivers District

                • Teresa P Hall
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jun 10, 2004
                    Okay, I'll play!

                    We work with a mix of RT and Saturday trainings.

                    1. The "where" varies. Our district makes an annual "deal" with a
                    chartering org, usually a big church with ample facilities. Most of our
                    classroom-based trainings are held there, as are RT and the district
                    banquet. IOLS and WOTL are held at a Scout camp about 30 minutes
                    outside the district. BALOO has been held at a variety of locations,
                    whatever works at the time.

                    2. We don't pay for building use if we can help it. If a church begins
                    to impose a fee, we move on. The church prior to where we are now
                    started charging $100 cleaning fee for any meeting held on Saturday.
                    They only caught me once on THAT -- talk about wreaking havoc on a
                    budget for a small class when no one tells you in advance.

                    3. Here's a sketch of our annual offerings. Also bear in mind - we are
                    one of 6 districts in a metropolitan area. We coordinate our training
                    schedules with the other two districts that have strong training
                    programs and want to play with us. So there are LOTS more opportunities,
                    all of which we post on our district website and email to our district
                    members.

                    NLE: twice in September, once in October, once in March or April.
                    Council-wide in March (Univ of Scouting). All of these are Saturdays.
                    Once in February during RT.
                    CSLST: one Saturday session in September where all segments are
                    offered. Beyond that, RT sessions as follows:
                    TDLST: October
                    CSDLST: November and March
                    WDLST: December and April
                    CubmasterLST/Committee Mbr LST: January and May.
                    We have held a Saturday session in March with all segments offered. We
                    also have a handful of Pack Trainers who are able to offer these
                    trainings within their units. We will do special offerings as
                    requested, but there were no requests last year that could not be filled
                    through already-scheduled group offerings.

                    YPT: Five scheduled offerings (two September Saturdays, one October
                    Saturday and one October RT, one Saturday in spring) plus online. This
                    one is available for unit-level instruction, we did two year before last
                    but none last year.

                    TCC: Centrally offered about three times a year, all on Saturdays:
                    September, October (at Advance-o-Rama) and March or April. This one has
                    been offered several times to individual troop committees, probably 4
                    additional times in past year, times at the convenience of the
                    committee.

                    COR: Was offered twice last year, I believe -- and I don't think either
                    course made. The August offering had but one registrant (MY new COR) and
                    he was taught via coaching rather than holding the scheduled class.

                    Den Chief Training: I hang my head in shame. This has not been offered
                    in quite some time. I've surveyed Cubmasters as to the need and only one
                    pack showed an interest, and THEY did not want to participate, just send
                    the boy. A neighboring district is offering in August and I'm scheduled
                    to visit and learn.

                    During Advance-o-Rama we try to offer a full day of adult training
                    opportunities. In addition to the above we offer Safe Swim, Safety
                    Afloat, Health and Safety, CPR, and others based on Trainer
                    availability. I offer SSD at the June RT as part of the RT offering
                    itself (not a break-out) for Cub Scout RT. This year the BSRT decided to
                    join us.

                    We offer SMLST and IOLS twice a year, WOLT once or twice a year, and
                    BALOO once a year at the district level. (Well, we combine with one or
                    two other districts for WOLT and IOLS.) At University of Scouting, NLE,
                    YPT, SSD, and SA at a minimum are offered. Next year UofS will be
                    physically back in my city and perhaps in my district again, but this
                    year is held about 90 minutes away.

                    4. Unit-level trainings - readily available for YPT, TCC, all CSLST
                    offerings, and NLE but rarely requested.

                    Teresa Hall
                    Coordinator, Cub Scout Training
                    Vulcan District, Greater AL Council
                  • Judy Yeager
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jun 10, 2004
                      1) Where do you hold your training sessions

                      We use local churches, city parks for BALOO, a private troop-owned scout
                      camp for OLS and a church related retreat area for WLOE.

                      2) What do they charge you for building use

                      All are free except the retreat area for WLOE. They charge $25/night for a
                      shelter and $2.00 per person for camping. We usually set out a can and ask
                      for donations and get much more than that.

                      3) How often do you hold each of the following training sessions
                      New Leader Essentials - 4X/year
                      Youth Protection - 7X/year
                      Cub Scout Leader Specific Training - 2X/year
                      Troop Committee Challenge - 2X/year
                      Chartered Organizational Representative Training - was not the
                      training team responsibility until just recently - haven't scheduled yet
                      Den Chief Training - 1X/year Council, 1X/year district

                      4) How often (if ever) do you hold group-requested training - Have not done
                      that yet

                      Judy Yeager
                      HOAC - Northern Tier District
                    • Ida Lively
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jun 11, 2004
                        > During Advance-o-Rama we try to offer a full day of adult training
                        > opportunities. In addition to the above we offer Safe Swim, Safety
                        > Afloat, Health and Safety, CPR, and others based on Trainer
                        > availability. I offer SSD at the June RT as part of the RT offering
                        > itself (not a break-out) for Cub Scout RT. This year the BSRT decided to
                        > join us.

                        This sounds like our Advancement Day. I've been *trying* to get in on this
                        training, but haven't been successful. Because our AD is held in February,
                        most (if not ALL) of the buildings at camp are in use. Several Troops that
                        rent cabins for the weekend, are warned that their cabin WILL be used as a
                        training site, so they must have everything neat and tidy when they leave
                        for AD after breakfast.

                        We do have the other courses, which are offered twice a year at council
                        level: BALOO, OWL, IOLS

                        We do Cub College (Pow Wow) once a year, and TDC/TTT once a year.

                        Wood Badge is held at "Cluster" level (Several clusters in a region, I
                        think) every year. It's coming to my council next year, and I'm already on
                        the waiting list.

                        --

                        Ida Lively
                        - Juniata Valley Council, Nittany Mountain District Training Chair

                        "Train them up in the way they should go..."
                      • Barbara Karweik
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jun 11, 2004
                          1. Where do you hold your training sessions?
                          We do most of our trainings at area churchs
                          Outdoor trainings are held at a Scout camp.

                          2. What do they charge for building use?
                          Usually there is no charge but that is changing. We did get a charge of
                          $100 for a Sat session and haven't gone back there again
                          Camp charges are usually $50 for building use for the day

                          3. How often do you hold training
                          This is our District training schedule
                          Sept we do YPT, NLE, and Specific Training
                          Oct we do all three on a Sat and on 2 Tues eves
                          Nov we do all three on a Sat and 2 Thurs eves
                          Feb we do all three on a Sat
                          June we do all three on a Sat
                          Troop Committee Challenge is by appointment with a team of people who go
                          to each troop as needed
                          Boy Scout training is done on 4 weekends in the fall
                          COR hasn't been done in a while
                          Baloo is a Sat in Apr
                          Webelos outdoor is a Sat in Mar
                          Den Chief is done on a Sat in Aug
                          We also have one District that does a portion of Cub training the 2nd Thur
                          of every month (1st Thur is their Roundtable) They rotate between YPT, NLE
                          and the specific trainings on a regular schedule
                          Since we are a large metropolitan area, our leaders also have access to
                          other District's trainings

                          4. Group requested trainings
                          Haven't had any requests except for Troop Comm Challenge - it's been
                          done about 15 times

                          Barb Karweik
                          Buckeye District Training Chair (retires)
                          Simon Kenton Council Training Chair
                          Columbus Ohio
                        • tsbeb@att.net
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jun 14, 2004
                            With the addition of Standard 68 in the 2004 National Camp Standards for Cub Scout/Boy Scout Resident Camps, where are you finding your Leave No Trace Master Educators?

                            Regional camp school and some councils have been running courses for Leave No Trace Trainers but they pretty much full up fast.

                            With NOLS and AMC holding a monopoly on Master Trainer courses can scouters afford to pay the amounts that they ask for the course?
                            I know that in past years there were a number of courses that could not find enough participants to run.

                            How far would you be willing to go to attend a Master's course?

                            Ted Beblowski
                            Been there,
                            done that,
                            have the tshirts
                            the mugs
                            and the wallet full of cards

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            To visit your group on the web, go to:

                          • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-P]
                            Message 13 of 29 , Jun 14, 2004
                              Hi Ida,

                              So, here come the questions:

                              1) Where do you hold your training sessions
                              All over, camps, schools, churches, homes, council office, parks ...
                              2) What do they charge you for building use
                              We look for free use, though I think we pay for maintenance
                              people for our University of Scouting.
                              3) How often do you hold each of the following training sessions
                              (These are from memory)
                              New Leader Essentials New schedule for the coming year -
                              monthly - council sponsored (each district responsible for 2 months)
                              Districts - I believe 2 plus as deemed needed
                              Youth Protection - I believe the council runs this monthly
                              Units can arrange for 'unit training'. I have offered to do it for
                              units at mutually convenient dates.
                              Cub Scout Leader Specific Training Roughly the same as NLE.
                              Troop Committee Challenge As requested by troops
                              Chartered Organizational Representative Training
                              Probably as requested, not familiar with this.
                              Den Chief Training Used to be only at U of Scouting, but
                              for the last few years districts have been trying to offer additional
                              classes.
                              4) How often (if ever) do you hold group-requested training
                              If the group is big enough we do our darnedest to accommodate.

                              Pete Mullaney, who has a council training committee meeting tonight!

                            • norman henderson
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
                                Hey everyone, I guess I am the new kid on the block as a new member
                                of your group.

                                I was the Tiger Den leader last year at Pack 557 in Columbus, IN and
                                what an experience.

                                They through me in head first and that is where I stayed all year.

                                Trying to get help was a feat in its self, no one had time, just
                                said you will be OK, keep at it.

                                Well the year is all but over, I had a bad year as experience would
                                have helped and now they moved me up to pack trainer. So I jumped
                                in early and did my own research as to the job and so far have
                                completed every training online I can find.

                                Looking for more, anyone have courses I can get a hold of to use in
                                advanced leadership at home? Our council has always given me the
                                credit for any course I have sent in completed.

                                Thanks
                                Norman Henderson/pack 557
                              • Dave Loomis
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
                                  You didn't note what training you have taken, so my comments may
                                  be a bit off target.

                                  I'd get a copy of the Leadership Training Committee Guide, #
                                  34169, $ 5.00, from your Scout Shop. This booklet is the meat of the
                                  training program, and will get you started with what you need to do.
                                  Secondly, I'd get in touch with your district or council training
                                  committee, and see what courses they are offering and when. As a Pack
                                  Trainer, you should take the Trainer Development Conference, to get you
                                  up to speed on Scouting training methods and programs. Your district or
                                  council training people should be running this program a couple of times
                                  each year.

                                  In order to be familiar with the training your pack needs, you
                                  need to take the Fast Start training for all of the positions. These
                                  are available at the National web site at,
                                  http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=xx&c=ds&terms=Fast+Start+Training&x=0&y=0
                                  or http://tinyurl.com/s58xw. You will have to create a logon name and
                                  password to take these courses, but when you do, and complete the
                                  courses, they should post to your record on your council's ScoutNet files.

                                  Reading through the Leadership Training Committee Guide, you will
                                  see the training each leader requires to become trained in his or her
                                  position, and this will give you a good jumping off point. You will
                                  have to determine what training they have completed, and then arrange
                                  for the training they need, by position, so that you can request that
                                  your district provide these specific courses. For the most part, Cub
                                  Scout Training is composed of two or three steps; Fast Start, Youth
                                  Protection, New Leader Essentials, Position Specific Training, and
                                  either BALOO or Outdoor Leader Skills for the WEBELOS Leaders. You can
                                  get Fast Start and Youth Protection Training online at the National site
                                  I noted earlier, so this leaves you outdoors and position training to
                                  worry about. BALOO is an acronym for Basic Adult Leader Outdoor
                                  Orientation, which is required before the Pack take the Cubs out camping
                                  as a pack or den. The syllabus is # 34162A (or later) and costs $
                                  6.95. WEBELOS Leaders need Outdoor Leader Skills for the WEBELOS
                                  Leaders, # 13-33640.which is a bin item so will either have to be
                                  ordered from your council, or gotten from a person on this list. I can
                                  feed you this course section by section, or can mail you a CD with the
                                  entire course on it. The rest of the leaders will require the position
                                  specific training for their position. This consists of a group of core
                                  skills, plus a break out session for Cub Masters and Committee, and
                                  Tiger, Wolf & Bear, and WEBELOS Den leaders all usually taught on a
                                  Saturday within your district. The syllabus for this course is 34875A,
                                  or later, and costs $ 12.00 as it comes with a CD.

                                  You will also want to insure that each of your dens has a Den
                                  Chief, a Boy Scout from a local troop who has taken the Den Chief
                                  Orientation, # 34450C or later,which costs $ 4.75. Den Chiefs are an
                                  important help to den leaders as they serve as an extra set of eyes and
                                  hands, to help keep the program moving, as well as give the Cubs another
                                  leader to look up to. They are especially important in the WEBELOS Dens
                                  as they can facilitate the WEBELOS to Scout crossover, insuring that all
                                  of the WEBELOS cross over to a troop, and are made to feel welcome in
                                  the troop they chose.

                                  This is a brief outline of your training needs and
                                  responsibilities, that will help you get started on the right foot.
                                  Don't hesitate to ask one of us some more questions, once you've gotten
                                  the Training Committee book, and read the parts pertaining to Cub Packs
                                  through a few times.

                                  All the Best,

                                  Dave

                                  norman henderson wrote:

                                  > Hey everyone, I guess I am the new kid on the block as a new member
                                  > of your group.
                                  >
                                  > I was the Tiger Den leader last year at Pack 557 in Columbus, IN and
                                  > what an experience.
                                  >
                                  > They through me in head first and that is where I stayed all year.
                                  >
                                  > Trying to get help was a feat in its self, no one had time, just
                                  > said you will be OK, keep at it.
                                  >
                                  > Well the year is all but over, I had a bad year as experience would
                                  > have helped and now they moved me up to pack trainer. So I jumped
                                  > in early and did my own research as to the job and so far have
                                  > completed every training online I can find.
                                  >
                                  > Looking for more, anyone have courses I can get a hold of to use in
                                  > advanced leadership at home? Our council has always given me the
                                  > credit for any course I have sent in completed.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks
                                  > Norman Henderson/pack 557

                                  ADC & BS Training Chair
                                  Historic District
                                  Daniel Webster Council, BSA

                                  245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
                                  Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

                                • Den Leader Norman Henderson
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
                                    Thanks,

                                    I have finished all of the training in all area's and my council told me this was the next on I need. However, they wont be giving it untill later this fall and as you may guess, I would rather get it in now before I get tied up with our pack in a month or so.

                                    As I can best figure out, being the first Pack Trainer we have ever had, in the past 21/2 months, I have taken and completed more courses than anyone in our pack. It seems, they feel that, they volunteer their time during the school year, and I might add do a great job, they just have a hard time understanding how the required training can really help them. And I have to try and reach them some how.

                                    Thanks
                                    Norman

                                    norman henderson wrote:

                                    > Hey everyone, I guess I am the new kid on the block as a new member
                                    > of your group.
                                    >
                                    > I was the Tiger Den leader last year at Pack 557 in Columbus, IN and
                                    > what an experience.
                                    >
                                    > They through me in head first and that is where I stayed all year.
                                    >
                                    > Trying to get help was a feat in its self, no one had time, just
                                    > said you will be OK, keep at it.
                                    >
                                    > Well the year is all but over, I had a bad year as experience would
                                    > have helped and now they moved me up to pack trainer. So I jumped
                                    > in early and did my own research as to the job and so far have
                                    > completed every training online I can find.
                                    >
                                    > Looking for more, anyone have courses I can get a hold of to use in
                                    > advanced leadership at home? Our council has always given me the
                                    > credit for any course I have sent in completed.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks
                                    > Norman Henderson/pack 557

                                    ADC & BS Training Chair
                                    Historic District
                                    Daniel Webster Council, BSA

                                    245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
                                    Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

                                  • Don Wilson
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
                                      Hi, Norman,

                                      Then you have completed:

                                      Cub Scout Fast Start
                                      New Leader Essentials for Cub Scouts
                                      Position Specific for Cubmaster, Tiger Leader, Den Leader, Webelos
                                      Leader, Committee
                                      BALOO
                                      Webelos Outdoor Training
                                      Youth Protection
                                      Trainer Development Course

                                      That is quite a lot of training for one year, and I applaud your
                                      efforts. If by chance you have not completed all of the above, then
                                      I would suggest that you make use of the time before the next Wood
                                      Badge course in your council participate in all training events
                                      available to you, not those focused on your present leadership
                                      position. You might be serving in a different position by the time
                                      you have the Wood Badge experience, and perhaps any "pre-course"
                                      work.

                                      I would also highly recommend that you work with the District
                                      Training Chair and after completing the Trainer Development Course
                                      work as a trainer whenever possible.

                                      Part of your job as Pack Trainer is to conduct orientation of new
                                      families. That is extremely important for retention of Cub Scouts
                                      and should not wait until you can put that on your ticket. So that
                                      would be a project to consider investing tie and energy for the
                                      success of the Pack.

                                      As to the thought of experiencing Wood Badge via PowerPoint and CD, I
                                      fully agree with Dave. The course is much to important to try an end
                                      run.

                                      Don Wilson
                                      Trainer, Old Hickory Council
                                      Council Training Committee member 15 years
                                      Past Past Training Chairman Chairman
                                      Was a Fabulous, Feisty Fox, SR-191
                                    • Den Leader Norman Henderson
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
                                        Thank you Sir,

                                        As with all the other advice, yours is also appreciated and taken to heart. I learned the hard way about retention and keeping families and their scouts interested. As a parent of a scout, I didnt realize just how much work and planning the leaders were doing, then when I volunteered last year, I started learning real fast,

                                        I simply want to be a good Pack Trainer and have enough knowledge about each area that I can be of help when needed. With over 40 boys in our pack, we are proud of what we have to offer. I hope that I can help make it even better.

                                        Norman Henderson

                                      • corinnajones@comcast.net
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
                                          Norman,
                                          Great to hear you jumped in are are doing all you can to take all of the trainings.
                                          For our district and council, I am not authorized to train anyone in my pack, unless it is at a district training. BUT, I have been able to motivate our leaders to get trained, and got our pack's training record updated (and for the first time our leadership has earned the den leader award, webelos leader award, and cubmaster award). We are a smaller pack, but now have all trained leaders, except the assistant webelos leader who just moved up from bears.
                                          Our pack members got BALOO trained for the first time, roundtable attendance is way up, and three of our leaders participated in Jungle Book training http://www.dacbsa.org/cc_schedtng/forms-schedtng/06%20Jungle%20Book.pdf (I was Webelos den leader in the course). Look out for your council's Powwow or University of Scouting. You will find a large variety of training courses.
                                          One year after our leadership change the enthusiasm in the pack is now phantastic. Everybody knows what they're doing, and the boys are having fun.
                                          Scouting.org has a great job description for Pack Trainer.
                                          There is another list I have learned tons of things, and the discussions can be very fruitful, hopefully that link works: Cub-L-subscribe@...

                                          Keep up the good work.
                                          Yours in Scouting,

                                          Corinna Jones
                                          Pack Trainer
                                          Day Camp Program Director
                                          Unit Commissioner
                                          Troop Committee Member
                                          Michigami & Sunset District
                                          Detroit Area Council
                                        • David Brown
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
                                            Norman,

                                            I am for Pack 563 in Charlestown, Indiana, just an hour south of
                                            you. I am the Pack Trainer and a member of my District's Training Team.
                                            You are part of Hoosier Hills Council? Or is it Crossroads of America in
                                            Columbus? I know Crossroads has New Leader Essentials online and Job
                                            Specifics as well, BUT in person Training is always better than the online
                                            as you get more out of it. Our District is having it's' first Training of
                                            the year on August 26th. We are also planning one sometime in Scottsburg,
                                            IN. Keep in mind with Training you don't have to go to your District or
                                            even Council for Training. Especially for Trainers Development as most
                                            Councils do this once a Year. LHC's was June 17th and the Next one will be
                                            June 2007.

                                            If you have any question feel free to post and will comment, or
                                            if you want to email me off group.

                                            Dave Brown

                                            Pack Trainer

                                            Pack 563

                                            Chief Old Ox District

                                            Lincoln Heritage Council

                                            kc9dre@...

                                            _____

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                                              I am in need of a cool (inspiring) induction ceremony that would be done at a camp fire at Wood Badge for the troop guides that will be inducted into Venturing. If you have any ideas that would be great. I am trying to inspire adults and introduce many of them to the family of Venturing.

                                              Andre
                                              Branson, MO

                                            • NeilLup@aol.com
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006

                                                > As I can best figure out, being the first Pack Trainer we have ever had, in
                                                > the past 21/2 months, I have taken and completed more courses than anyone in
                                                > our pack. It seems, they feel that, they volunteer their time during the
                                                > school year, and I might add do a great job, they just have a hard time
                                                > understanding how the required training can really help them. And I have to try and
                                                > reach them some how.

                                                Hello Norman,

                                                Thank you for undertaking the very important job of Pack Trainer.
                                                Hopefully, it will be fun and rewarding for you and helpful for your Pack.

                                                A few comments about the leaders in your Pack and their reluctance to take
                                                training. Ideally, training should

                                                1) Make the leaders' job more efficient and REDUCE THE TIME THAT THEY NEED
                                                TO SPEND
                                                2) Make their job more rewarding and more fun
                                                3) Give them plenty of resources to have a better, more exciting program
                                                4) Allow them to get to know other leaders in Cub Scouting with whom they
                                                can share and borrow ideas and talk about challenges, etc.
                                                5) Help ensure that the real purposes of Scouting are being met and not
                                                just the surface purposes
                                                6) Etc. etc. etc.

                                                You say that your leaders are doing a great job and I can't question that,
                                                certainly based just on e-mail posts. However, how do they know that and how
                                                do you know that? How do they know what they should be doing and what the
                                                real purposes of the Scouting movement are? One can have an extremely well
                                                organized "Pack" doing pinewood derbies and Blue and Golds and other things
                                                and be missing the point Similarly, a Pack can appear to be a lot less
                                                well organized and have fewer activities but be delivering a real Scouting
                                                program.

                                                Perhaps an analogy is this. Suppose a school bus driver were to say "I'm
                                                really busy. I'm so busy driving this school bus that I don't have time to
                                                take school bus driver training." How would the parents feel? Should
                                                they, or the Pack leaders, feel any different about trying to run a Cub Scout
                                                Pack without training?

                                                You also mentioned about the goal of Wood Badge within two years. This is
                                                for the most obvious reason possible. If Wood Badge is helpful and
                                                beneficial in learning how to run a great Pack efficiently, to work with adults and
                                                youth and to enjoy Scouts and Scouting, then one should get that experience
                                                and skills as early in ones time as a Scout leader as possible. Why wait
                                                5-10 years as a non Wood Badge trained leader only to go and say (as people do),
                                                "Gee, I wish I had taken this years ago." But WB within two years is a
                                                goal. It is not locked in concrete.

                                                As a Pack Trainer, you have the very important front line job of making
                                                sure that training really is useful and beneficial for the leaders in your Pack.
                                                Your job is not just to present material and hope that it is helpful. To
                                                the fullest extent possible, you should do what you can to make it helpful.
                                                Wood Badge should help you with this. So will Roundtables.

                                                Thank you for undertaking a challenging task.

                                                Best wishes,

                                                Neil Lupton

                                              • CubScoutDen@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                                                  In a message dated 7/4/2006 5:39:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                                  don-wilson@... writes:
                                                  Part of your job as Pack Trainer is to conduct orientation of new
                                                  families.
                                                  Does anyone have a link to the responsibilities for this position? All I
                                                  have is the requirements for the new knot, and I would like to become Pack
                                                  Trainer this Fall (turning in my ACM hat, for now).

                                                  Lisa
                                                  Mom to 3 boys
                                                  ACM Pack 689
                                                  Webelos DL
                                                  Troop Committee

                                                • JNDunnMN@aol.com
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                                                    http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/about/thepack/ptrnr.html

                                                    YiS,
                                                    Jamie Dunn
                                                    Pack Trainer
                                                    P. 512
                                                    Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                                                    Cub Scout Training Chair
                                                    Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                                                    3 Rivers District

                                                    don-wilson@... writes:
                                                    Part of your job as Pack Trainer is to conduct orientation of new
                                                    families.
                                                    Does anyone have a link to the responsibilities for this position?All I
                                                    have is the requirements for the new knot, and I would like to become Pack
                                                    Trainer this Fall (turning in my ACM hat, for now).

                                                    Lisa
                                                    Mom to 3 boys
                                                    ACM Pack 689
                                                    Webelos DL
                                                    Troop Committee

                                                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed

                                                  • Jim von Schmacht
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                                                      http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-152.pdf

                                                      Jim von Schmacht

                                                      Loma Prieta District Training Chair

                                                      ________________________________

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                                                        See http://www.geocities.com/~pack215/pt.html for a nice Pack Trainer
                                                        synopsis.

                                                        YiS,

                                                        John Spahr, Aklan Training Team
                                                        Work: (510) 434-7611 x231
                                                        Cell: (510) 377-0742
                                                        Home: (925) 944-9467

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                                                          In a message dated 7/5/2006 5:40:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                                          JNDunnMN@... writes:
                                                          http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/about/thepack/ptrnr.html Thanks!

                                                          Lisa
                                                          Mom to 3 boys
                                                          ACM Pack 689
                                                          Webelos DL
                                                          Troop Committee

                                                        • Judy Yeager
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                                                            John wrote, "See http://goecities.com/~pack215/pt.html for a nice Pack Trainer synopsis."

                                                            Not a good reference. As excellent as the Pack 215 site is in so many areas, this Pack Trainer synopsis is totally out of date and does not agree with the "official" job description found on National's website at http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-152.pdf

                                                            Judy Yeager
                                                            NT District Training Chair
                                                            HOAC

                                                          • Russ Gordon, Pack 42
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Jul 12, 2006
                                                              Dave didn't I read someplace a list you posted with all the current
                                                              training item bin numbers? I just found out we have several Districts
                                                              that do not have a complete set of training material. I told our Council
                                                              Training chair I thought I had a list of the up-to-date bin numbers for
                                                              everything.
                                                              I just read through my past e-mails and I can't find it.