Re: [Scouter_T] Re: OT: Spam Trouble

  • Scouter Chuck
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 15, 2004
      Geoffrey Mayer wrote...

      > If you search for "antelope95" (part of Chuck's e-mail address) on Google you'll get 39 hits, all in
      > the archives of the Scouts-L mailing list.

      Only 39? How for back do they go? I posted a lot more than that... ;)

      > These archives are public and can be found by a web crawler
      > (which follows links around the Internet). That could be the kind
      > of trolling that's going on. It's hard to hide an e-mail address
      > that's active! Perhaps the Scouts-L archives could be made
      > available only to members.

      Well, first I haven't posted much on Scouts-L for a couple of years.
      I keep my subscription, but I just don't have the time to read it
      much anymore.

      But those archives _used_ to be private. The only way you could get
      to them was thru the listserver. But no one wanted to take the time
      to learn listserver language. Then someone made them accessable
      via the Internet. The rest is "history".

      The problem with closing them now is that you have a number of folks
      like me who subscribe to it and keep all the digests. Only one of
      them could put the archives back upo if they were taken down.

      But you probably do have the culprit.

      Chuck