RE: [Scouter_T] Den Leader Coach

  • Richard Damon
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 15, 2004
      My understanding is the Den Leader Coach Training Award is now retired and
      not earnable. Pack Trainers are specifically supposed to earn the Cub
      Scouter Training Award (there is an option specifically for them among the
      requirements). I have heard rumors that this was an intentional reducing of
      the number of different Cub Scout Knots in existence.

      There is nothing which says all recognition needs to be National awards. The
      pack could just recognize and thank him for his service.

      Richard Damon
      --
      rbrdamon@... (Home)
      rdamon@... (Work)

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 15, 2004
        This is something you will have to run through your council's
        training and recognition folks to get an answer that will be valid for
        YOUR council only. In my council a Scouter applied for the award having
        completed the work well before the award was suspended. After some
        thought we decided to award it to him, not only had he earned it, but we
        just happened to have an award package that we could present him at the
        next district dinner. n.b. The knot only represents the award, it is
        not the award. Why cheat your scouters of the awards they have earned
        by being too cheap to buy the medal on the ribbon as well as the knot.

        Dave

        Richard Damon wrote:

        > My understanding is the Den Leader Coach Training Award is now retired and
        > not earnable. Pack Trainers are specifically supposed to earn the Cub
        > Scouter Training Award (there is an option specifically for them among the
        > requirements). I have heard rumors that this was an intentional
        > reducing of
        > the number of different Cub Scout Knots in existence.
        >
        > There is nothing which says all recognition needs to be National
        > awards. The
        > pack could just recognize and thank him for his service.
        >
        > Richard Damon
        > --
        > rbrdamon@... (Home)

        Dave Loomis mailto: dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
        245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
        Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
      • Ken
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 16, 2004
          It was my underatnding that the medals were no longer being produced.

          Yours in Scouting,
          Ken

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, David Loomis <dloomis@n...> wrote:
          n.b. The knot only represents the award, it is
          > not the award. Why cheat your scouters of the awards they have
          earned
          > by being too cheap to buy the medal on the ribbon as well as the
          knot.

          > Dave
        • Bryan Polyak
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 16, 2004
            That's right. About the same time that the "coach"
            positions were eliminated in favor of the Pack
            Trainer, national said they were no longer making
            any of the medals and that they "had so many any stock
            that people could purchase as many as they wanted".
            That was 4 years ago and I assume the medals are still
            in large quantity at supply.

            --- Ken <krtodd@...> wrote:

            > It was my underatnding that the medals were no
            > longer being produced.
            >
            > Yours in Scouting,
            > Ken
            >
            > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, David Loomis
            > <dloomis@n...> wrote:
            > n.b. The knot only represents the award, it is
            > > not the award. Why cheat your scouters of the
            > awards they have
            > earned
            > > by being too cheap to buy the medal on the ribbon
            > as well as the
            > knot.
            > >
            > > Dave

            The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
            http://my.yahoo.com
          • R Fisher
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 16, 2004
              > That's right. About the same time that the "coach"
              > positions were eliminated in favor of the Pack
              > Trainer, national said they were no longer making
              > any of the medals and that they "had so many any stock
              > that people could purchase as many as they wanted".
              > That was 4 years ago and I assume the medals are still
              > in large quantity at supply.

              Well, our National Supply Scout Shop tells me they can't get them.
              Maybe because they are discontinued, and therefore not on the computer
              screen any more, but I've tried.

              YiS

              Roy Fisher