RE: Den Leader Coach

  • Ida Lively

      QUESTOIN:
      There is an award for the Den Leader Coach which is no
      longer used. Regardless of how BSA has repackaged it, I am
      certain that Pack Trainer is the logical replacement
      position. It only makes sense. Can the Den Leader Coach
      award form/requirements be used to recognize a Pack Trainer?

      RESPONSE:
      No. Pack Trainer is a PACK COMMITTEE position. Being so, it falls under the umbrella of
      the CUB SCOUTER AWARD.

      Caveat: If a person earned the Den Leader Coach award while it was still a recognized
      position by the BSA, they are entitled to be awarded the knot for it -- even if they haven't
      filed the paperwork until now.

      In Scouting,

      Ida Lively
      - Nittany Mountain District Training Chair - Juniata Valley Council
    • Richard Damon
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 15, 2004
        My understanding is the Den Leader Coach Training Award is now retired and
        not earnable. Pack Trainers are specifically supposed to earn the Cub
        Scouter Training Award (there is an option specifically for them among the
        requirements). I have heard rumors that this was an intentional reducing of
        the number of different Cub Scout Knots in existence.

        There is nothing which says all recognition needs to be National awards. The
        pack could just recognize and thank him for his service.

        Richard Damon
        --
        rbrdamon@... (Home)
        rdamon@... (Work)

        This may be a question that has been posted before, so I apologize if
        it is duplicate...

        There is an award for the Den Leader Coach which is no longer used.
        Regardless of how BSA has repackaged it, I am certain that Pack
        Trainer is the logical replacement position.  It only makes sense.
        Can the Den Leader Coach award form/requirements be used to recognize
        a Pack Trainer?  The person we want to recognize already has the Cub
        Scouter award from past service.

        Any thoughts and/or facts would be helpful.

        Thanks!

        KR
        Florida
      • David Loomis
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 15, 2004
          This is something you will have to run through your council's
          training and recognition folks to get an answer that will be valid for
          YOUR council only. In my council a Scouter applied for the award having
          completed the work well before the award was suspended. After some
          thought we decided to award it to him, not only had he earned it, but we
          just happened to have an award package that we could present him at the
          next district dinner. n.b. The knot only represents the award, it is
          not the award. Why cheat your scouters of the awards they have earned
          by being too cheap to buy the medal on the ribbon as well as the knot.

          Dave

          Richard Damon wrote:

          > My understanding is the Den Leader Coach Training Award is now retired and
          > not earnable. Pack Trainers are specifically supposed to earn the Cub
          > Scouter Training Award (there is an option specifically for them among the
          > requirements). I have heard rumors that this was an intentional
          > reducing of
          > the number of different Cub Scout Knots in existence.
          >
          > There is nothing which says all recognition needs to be National
          > awards. The
          > pack could just recognize and thank him for his service.
          >
          > Richard Damon
          > --
          > rbrdamon@... (Home)

          Dave Loomis mailto: dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
          245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
          Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
        • Ken
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 16, 2004
            It was my underatnding that the medals were no longer being produced.

            Yours in Scouting,
            Ken

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, David Loomis <dloomis@n...> wrote:
            n.b. The knot only represents the award, it is
            > not the award. Why cheat your scouters of the awards they have
            earned
            > by being too cheap to buy the medal on the ribbon as well as the
            knot.

            > Dave
          • Bryan Polyak
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 16, 2004
              That's right. About the same time that the "coach"
              positions were eliminated in favor of the Pack
              Trainer, national said they were no longer making
              any of the medals and that they "had so many any stock
              that people could purchase as many as they wanted".
              That was 4 years ago and I assume the medals are still
              in large quantity at supply.

              --- Ken <krtodd@...> wrote:

              > It was my underatnding that the medals were no
              > longer being produced.
              >
              > Yours in Scouting,
              > Ken
              >
              > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, David Loomis
              > <dloomis@n...> wrote:
              > n.b. The knot only represents the award, it is
              > > not the award. Why cheat your scouters of the
              > awards they have
              > earned
              > > by being too cheap to buy the medal on the ribbon
              > as well as the
              > knot.
              > >
              > > Dave

              The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
              http://my.yahoo.com
            • R Fisher
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 16, 2004
                > That's right. About the same time that the "coach"
                > positions were eliminated in favor of the Pack
                > Trainer, national said they were no longer making
                > any of the medals and that they "had so many any stock
                > that people could purchase as many as they wanted".
                > That was 4 years ago and I assume the medals are still
                > in large quantity at supply.

                Well, our National Supply Scout Shop tells me they can't get them.
                Maybe because they are discontinued, and therefore not on the computer
                screen any more, but I've tried.

                YiS

                Roy Fisher