Den Leader Coach

  • kr3945
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 15, 2004
      Good morning all!

      This may be a question that has been posted before, so I apologize if
      it is duplicate...

      There is an award for the Den Leader Coach which is no longer used.
      Regardless of how BSA has repackaged it, I am certain that Pack
      Trainer is the logical replacement position. It only makes sense.
      Can the Den Leader Coach award form/requirements be used to recognize
      a Pack Trainer? The person we want to recognize already has the Cub
      Scouter award from past service.

      Any thoughts and/or facts would be helpful.

      Thanks!

      KR
      Florida
    • Ida Lively

        QUESTOIN:
        There is an award for the Den Leader Coach which is no
        longer used. Regardless of how BSA has repackaged it, I am
        certain that Pack Trainer is the logical replacement
        position. It only makes sense. Can the Den Leader Coach
        award form/requirements be used to recognize a Pack Trainer?

        RESPONSE:
        No. Pack Trainer is a PACK COMMITTEE position. Being so, it falls under the umbrella of
        the CUB SCOUTER AWARD.

        Caveat: If a person earned the Den Leader Coach award while it was still a recognized
        position by the BSA, they are entitled to be awarded the knot for it -- even if they haven't
        filed the paperwork until now.

        In Scouting,

        Ida Lively
        - Nittany Mountain District Training Chair - Juniata Valley Council
      • Richard Damon
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 15, 2004
          My understanding is the Den Leader Coach Training Award is now retired and
          not earnable. Pack Trainers are specifically supposed to earn the Cub
          Scouter Training Award (there is an option specifically for them among the
          requirements). I have heard rumors that this was an intentional reducing of
          the number of different Cub Scout Knots in existence.

          There is nothing which says all recognition needs to be National awards. The
          pack could just recognize and thank him for his service.

          Richard Damon
          --
          rbrdamon@... (Home)
          rdamon@... (Work)

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 15, 2004
            This is something you will have to run through your council's
            training and recognition folks to get an answer that will be valid for
            YOUR council only. In my council a Scouter applied for the award having
            completed the work well before the award was suspended. After some
            thought we decided to award it to him, not only had he earned it, but we
            just happened to have an award package that we could present him at the
            next district dinner. n.b. The knot only represents the award, it is
            not the award. Why cheat your scouters of the awards they have earned
            by being too cheap to buy the medal on the ribbon as well as the knot.

            Dave

            Richard Damon wrote:

            > My understanding is the Den Leader Coach Training Award is now retired and
            > not earnable. Pack Trainers are specifically supposed to earn the Cub
            > Scouter Training Award (there is an option specifically for them among the
            > requirements). I have heard rumors that this was an intentional
            > reducing of
            > the number of different Cub Scout Knots in existence.
            >
            > There is nothing which says all recognition needs to be National
            > awards. The
            > pack could just recognize and thank him for his service.
            >
            > Richard Damon
            > --
            > rbrdamon@... (Home)

            Dave Loomis mailto: dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
            245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
            Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
          • Ken
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 16, 2004
              It was my underatnding that the medals were no longer being produced.

              Yours in Scouting,
              Ken

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, David Loomis <dloomis@n...> wrote:
              n.b. The knot only represents the award, it is
              > not the award. Why cheat your scouters of the awards they have
              earned
              > by being too cheap to buy the medal on the ribbon as well as the
              knot.

              > Dave
            • Bryan Polyak
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 16, 2004
                That's right. About the same time that the "coach"
                positions were eliminated in favor of the Pack
                Trainer, national said they were no longer making
                any of the medals and that they "had so many any stock
                that people could purchase as many as they wanted".
                That was 4 years ago and I assume the medals are still
                in large quantity at supply.

                --- Ken <krtodd@...> wrote:

                > It was my underatnding that the medals were no
                > longer being produced.
                >
                > Yours in Scouting,
                > Ken
                >
                > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, David Loomis
                > <dloomis@n...> wrote:
                > n.b. The knot only represents the award, it is
                > > not the award. Why cheat your scouters of the
                > awards they have
                > earned
                > > by being too cheap to buy the medal on the ribbon
                > as well as the
                > knot.
                > >
                > > Dave

                The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
                http://my.yahoo.com
              • R Fisher
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 16, 2004
                  > That's right. About the same time that the "coach"
                  > positions were eliminated in favor of the Pack
                  > Trainer, national said they were no longer making
                  > any of the medals and that they "had so many any stock
                  > that people could purchase as many as they wanted".
                  > That was 4 years ago and I assume the medals are still
                  > in large quantity at supply.

                  Well, our National Supply Scout Shop tells me they can't get them.
                  Maybe because they are discontinued, and therefore not on the computer
                  screen any more, but I've tried.

                  YiS

                  Roy Fisher