OT: Spam Trouble

  • Scouter Chuck
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 14, 2004
      For some reason, I have been getting an inordinate amount of Spam
      on this account. As this account is used _only_ for scouting
      correspondence, I find it both intriguing and annoying.

      In any case, I will have to change my username here. I'm getting
      almost 40 per day.

      Either someone's been trolling the groups for accounts, or someone
      got mad at me and put me on a list.

      Anyway, if you have written to me and I haven't responded, I
      probably accidentally deleted the email.

      I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 15, 2004
        Scouter Chuck wrote (Tue, 14 Dec 2004):

        > For some reason, I have been getting an inordinate amount of Spam
        > on this account. As this account is used _only_ for scouting
        > correspondence, I find it both intriguing and annoying.
        > Either someone's been trolling the groups for accounts, or someone
        > got mad at me and put me on a list.

        Chuck,

        If you search for "antelope95" (part of Chuck's e-mail address) on Google you'll get 39 hits, all in
        the archives of the Scouts-L mailing list. These archives are public and can be found by a web
        crawler (which follows links around the Internet). That could be the kind of trolling that's going
        on. It's hard to hide an e-mail address that's active! Perhaps the Scouts-L archives could be made
        available only to members.

        God bless!

        Geoffrey Mayer
        Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 95, New Bremen, Ohio
        District Training Chair, Old Sycamore District, Black Swamp Area Council
      • Scouter Chuck
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 15, 2004
          Geoffrey Mayer wrote...

          > If you search for "antelope95" (part of Chuck's e-mail address) on Google you'll get 39 hits, all in
          > the archives of the Scouts-L mailing list.

          Only 39? How for back do they go? I posted a lot more than that... ;)

          > These archives are public and can be found by a web crawler
          > (which follows links around the Internet). That could be the kind
          > of trolling that's going on. It's hard to hide an e-mail address
          > that's active! Perhaps the Scouts-L archives could be made
          > available only to members.

          Well, first I haven't posted much on Scouts-L for a couple of years.
          I keep my subscription, but I just don't have the time to read it
          much anymore.

          But those archives _used_ to be private. The only way you could get
          to them was thru the listserver. But no one wanted to take the time
          to learn listserver language. Then someone made them accessable
          via the Internet. The rest is "history".

          The problem with closing them now is that you have a number of folks
          like me who subscribe to it and keep all the digests. Only one of
          them could put the archives back upo if they were taken down.

          But you probably do have the culprit.

          Chuck