Rant

  • Ida Lively
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 9, 2004
      I went to a 'not fun' UC meeting last night? It was amazing. They decided
      that all of their people in the ailing packs needed to go to training.
      Great. I'd love it! But, they were unwilling to help me GET people to
      training. Hey, I'm the training chair ... That's my job, right? ;-)
      Wrong. I don't see the units on a monthly basis -- the untrained leaders
      do NOT show up on Roundtable (imagine that!). Those leaders who come to RT
      are trained and committed to the program. Me telling them to go to training
      is preaching to the choir, but you'd be amazed how many people think 'I'm
      trained, so I don't need to go', instead of 'perhaps Joe will go to training
      if I attend with him.'

      Honestly, that's how I got my Cubmaster trained. I had been bugging him,
      AND it was the ONLY THING keeping our Pack from earning quality unit. He is
      an Eagle Scout from the early 1980's an thought he knew everything about the
      scouting program -- he's an Eagle, after all. I said I'd attend training
      with him, so he'd at least know someone. Sure, it was a repeat for me, but
      he went. AND ... He was bitten by the training bug. He's now on the
      Council Training team and was the course director for our latest Scoutmaster
      training sessions.

      GRRRRR!

      Ida
    • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-P]
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 9, 2004
        Ida et al,
        At the recommendation of the training committee my council plans to
        implement the policy:
        "No trained leader (CM/SM/CL[Crew Leader?]), no Charter."
        In theory it's good, but I want to see if they will really
        pull charters. In addition the committee is going to require
        position retraining every so many years.

        Pete Mullaney

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 9, 2004
          Pete:

          The term should be Venturing Advisor (VA) for the adult leader of a Venturing Crew. The youth leader is called the President.

          I wish our Council would adopt that position too.

          Larry Ohs
          Salt Valley District Training Committee
          Cornhusker Council Venturing Committee, Training Chairman
          2005 Jamboree Boating Staff
          "...and a good old Fox, too." W5-63-00

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 9, 2004
            Actually, Venturing Advisors are NL and Associate Advisors are NA.
            The "V" goes to Varsity Coaches (VC) and Varsity Assistant Coaches
            (VA), as I recall. I am not putting my hands on a current Adult
            Leader Application, but all the pertinent unit codes are on the
            inside front cover. That aside, Ida is ranting about a commissioner
            staff/training committee disconnect. It is not that uncommon, and I
            join in the rant wholeheartedly. We need to get a large number of
            our trainers from the commissioner's team, for their benefit and
            ours.

            Scott Eliason,
            Advisor Crew 391, Des Moines, WA
            Venturing Training Coordinator, Aquila District, Chief Seattle
            Council
            Course Director, BSLWB W1 609-87 and 21st Century WB WE1 609-2-04

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Larry D. Ohs" <lohs@i...> wrote:
            > Pete:
            >
            > The term should be Venturing Advisor (VA) for the adult leader of
            a Venturing Crew. The youth leader is called the President.

            > I wish our Council would adopt that position too.
            >
            > Larry Ohs
            > Salt Valley District Training Committee
            > Cornhusker Council Venturing Committee, Training Chairman
            > 2005 Jamboree Boating Staff
            > "...and a good old Fox, too." W5-63-00

          • Debbie Beer
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 14, 2004
              This sounds like a great idea. But, we all know that councils are not going
              to pull charters.