Re: OWL/WOLF

  • Ida Lively
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2004
      > Subject: New OWLS or WOLT?
      >

      > I don't believe that I imagined it, but wasn't there a discussion
      > recently about a new replacement course for the former Outdoor
      > Webelos Leader Skills (OWLS)? I'm not sure if it is to be called
      > Webelos Outdoor Leader Training or not, although I prefer Webelos
      > Outdoor Leader Fundamentals because of the obvious anagram.
      > Nevertheless, one of my council's districts is planning an OWLS
      > training this coming January and they desperately wanted to
      > implement that new course. Is it possible that they could be a
      > pilot for the new course, testing it initially and being able to
      > report back to the powers that be on aspects of it in the field?
      > This trainer has been around a long time and sticks to the syllabus
      > of a course like nobody's business. If I were to hand select
      > someone to "test drive" a new course, I couldn't select a better
      > leader. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could point
      > this trainer? Does she have a prayer of getting a copy of the new
      > course in the next month so that she could get her staff up to speed
      > in time for the course, slated to be held on January 23?
      >
      > Alan Smason
      > Southeast Louisiana Council

      Just heard from my DE who talked to National Cub Scout people in the past
      week, that the OWL/WOLF course was put on the back-burner while national
      fired up the Soccer/Hispanic recruitment.

      Additionally, they sent it for a re-write to correspond to the new character
      connections and handbook. I heard something about an updated Webelos Leader
      book, too, but am fuzzy on that one.

      The word is that the OWL/WOLF is at the printers NOW, and should be released
      by years end.

      Yes, yes ... We've heard it before. I wouldn't hold my breath to have the
      new syllabus for your January training.

      Ida
      - Juniata Valley Council