New OWLS or WOLT?

  • Alan Smason
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 14, 2004
      I don't believe that I imagined it, but wasn't there a discussion
      recently about a new replacement course for the former Outdoor
      Webelos Leader Skills (OWLS)? I'm not sure if it is to be called
      Webelos Outdoor Leader Training or not, although I prefer Webelos
      Outdoor Leader Fundamentals because of the obvious anagram.
      Nevertheless, one of my council's districts is planning an OWLS
      training this coming January and they desperately wanted to
      implement that new course. Is it possible that they could be a
      pilot for the new course, testing it initially and being able to
      report back to the powers that be on aspects of it in the field?
      This trainer has been around a long time and sticks to the syllabus
      of a course like nobody's business. If I were to hand select
      someone to "test drive" a new course, I couldn't select a better
      leader. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I could point
      this trainer? Does she have a prayer of getting a copy of the new
      course in the next month so that she could get her staff up to speed
      in time for the course, slated to be held on January 23?

      Alan Smason
      Southeast Louisiana Council
    • Keith Tilley
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 14, 2004
        No, Alan, you didn't imagine it - we're about to receive a new replacement
        course for the former Webelos Leader Outdoor Training (WLOT) course. It's
        called Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders.

        I worked on the task force that created this new course, and it's been held
        up for quite a while since the original work was done. There have been
        several changes to the Webelos program since we wrote the syllabus, and each
        change requires another look at the material to be sure it's current. My
        understanding from National is that it's been at the printer for a while and
        its release is "imminent".

        National's advice for your trainer, as for all trainers during this
        transition period, is to continue to use the old syllabus until the new one
        comes out.

        Keith Tilley
        Rip Van Winkle Council, NY

      • Paul
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 14, 2004
          The last time they told us "Imminent" it was over a year. So I
          would not count on it anytime soon

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Tilley" <redcoat@h...>
          wrote:
          > No, Alan, you didn't imagine it - we're about to receive a new
          replacement
          > course for the former Webelos Leader Outdoor Training (WLOT)
          course. It's
          > called Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders.
          >
          > I worked on the task force that created this new course, and it's
          been held
          > up for quite a while since the original work was done. There have
          been
          > several changes to the Webelos program since we wrote the
          syllabus, and each
          > change requires another look at the material to be sure it's
          current. My
          > understanding from National is that it's been at the printer for a
          while and
          > its release is "imminent".
          >
          > National's advice for your trainer, as for all trainers during this
          > transition period, is to continue to use the old syllabus until
          the new one
          > comes out.
          >
          > Keith Tilley
          > Rip Van Winkle Council, NY

        • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-P]
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 15, 2004
            Keith,
            Please don't take offense but I found it comical and
            fitting that this subject got tied with "Rip Van Winkle".

            ;-)
            Pete M.

            The last time they told us "Imminent" it was over a year. So I
            would not count on it anytime soon

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Tilley" <redcoat@h...>
            wrote:
            <snip> >
            > Keith Tilley
            > Rip Van Winkle Council, NY

          • Ken Todd
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 16, 2004
              Paul,

              This time, for a change, I have seen it in writing in a National publication. The "Cub Scout Outdoor Program Guidelines for 2005" states. "... Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders, No. 13-33640, due out in early 2005."

              Yours in Scouting,
              Ken

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 17, 2004
                Is there anyone who can scan the 2005 guidelines (mentioned below) and
                put it in the files section?

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 17, 2004
                  In a message dated 11/17/04 12:55:56 AM, krtodd@... writes:

                  > The "Cub Scout Outdoor Program Guidelines for 2005" states

                  Ooh - ooh - any other changes? I haven't seen the 2005 edition yet.

                  YiS,
                  Jamie Dunn
                  Pack Trainer
                  P. 512