Re: [Scouter_T] Re: training cost que stion -  long

  • NeilLup@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2004
      In a message dated 11/8/04 5:17:35 PM, dloomis@... writes:

      >   It is far better to plan on commercial
      > reproduction of course materials, and mailings, or budget a certain
      > amount of money to accomplish these tasks do them at the council office,
      > and pay council for the service!  Yes **PAY** council for using their
      > equipment and facilities.  It may sound like a radical idea, paying for
      > things that we might obtain for free, but putting courses on a paying
      > basis makes good financial sense, and frequently results in our being
      > able to use these services again in the future!
      >
      >          Putting it bluntly, councils are in the business of selling a
      > product, Scouting, and have lots of equipment devoted to this business,
      > equipment for which you would pay dearly, were you to contract it out to
      > local companies.

      Dave rases an extremely good point and it motivates me to add this point.
      How often in dealing with equipment at the council office to we find equipment
      that was new in the 16th century, was discarded by its original user 20
      years ago and is still being used because that's what the council has and can't
      afford better. The maintenance and downtime on these items can be very
      costly but that cost appears not to be a severe as the purchase price of good
      new equipment. If we truly do budget payment for reproducing services into
      course budgets and then pay that, it might result in much better equipment at
      the council office. Depreciation of all Scout properties appears to be a
      factor which often is lost when budgets become tight.

      Alternately, I have found that commercial copying facilities do offer
      generous discounts. One local shop gives me a 50% discount for BSA plus the
      exemption from state tax.

      Best wishes,

      Neil Lupton