Re: [Scouter_T] Re: training cost que stion -  long

  • JNDunnMN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2004
      My answer would be very similar to Dave's. The budget items include:
      Space rental - most of the churches/schools/camps where we hold sessions
      charge us to use the space.
      Food - we serve coffee, bottled water, soda, breakfast rolls or donuts and
      lunch at most sessions. Outdoor skills sessions include multiple meals.
      Copying - the council charges us $0.03 per face. Local copy shops are
      $0.06-$0.10. We have a booklet for each course that is approved by the Training
      Committee of what is to be distributed at each course. The council charges us
      $1.00-$2.00 per book
      Literature - almost all courses include the handbook for the position.
      Trained strips

      From my own pocket, I provide door prizes, trainer recognition items, flip
      charts, displays, etc.

      New Leader Essentials costs $5.00
      Cub Scout Leader Specific costs $20
      Troop Committee Challenge is $10
      SM/ASM is $20 or $25
      Venturing is $10 or $15
      IOLS is $35
      BALOO is $25
      WLOT (if we ever do it again), will probably be $25 or $30
      YPT is free

      There is a $5.00 preregistration discount for all courses (except NLE). The
      deadline is two days prior to the course.

      YiS,
      Jamie Dunn
      Pack Trainer
      P. 512
      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      Cub Scout Training Chair
      3 Rivers District

    • NeilLup@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 8, 2004
        In a message dated 11/8/04 5:17:35 PM, dloomis@... writes:

        >   It is far better to plan on commercial
        > reproduction of course materials, and mailings, or budget a certain
        > amount of money to accomplish these tasks do them at the council office,
        > and pay council for the service!  Yes **PAY** council for using their
        > equipment and facilities.  It may sound like a radical idea, paying for
        > things that we might obtain for free, but putting courses on a paying
        > basis makes good financial sense, and frequently results in our being
        > able to use these services again in the future!
        >
        >          Putting it bluntly, councils are in the business of selling a
        > product, Scouting, and have lots of equipment devoted to this business,
        > equipment for which you would pay dearly, were you to contract it out to
        > local companies.

        Dave rases an extremely good point and it motivates me to add this point.
        How often in dealing with equipment at the council office to we find equipment
        that was new in the 16th century, was discarded by its original user 20
        years ago and is still being used because that's what the council has and can't
        afford better. The maintenance and downtime on these items can be very
        costly but that cost appears not to be a severe as the purchase price of good
        new equipment. If we truly do budget payment for reproducing services into
        course budgets and then pay that, it might result in much better equipment at
        the council office. Depreciation of all Scout properties appears to be a
        factor which often is lost when budgets become tight.

        Alternately, I have found that commercial copying facilities do offer
        generous discounts. One local shop gives me a 50% discount for BSA plus the
        exemption from state tax.

        Best wishes,

        Neil Lupton