Uniform Question

  • Alan Smason
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2004
      I know I can always get an answer in this forum. Although this is
      technically not a training question, only trained individuals would
      know the answer, so I hope you'll pardon my posting a uniform-
      related inquiry. However, I could not find anything online related
      to it, nor could I find anyone who could give me a direct and
      definitive answer in person. This relates to the red wool jacket
      that is sold nationwide in Scout shops. I bit the bullet and spent
      the $152 for one recently. I also acquired the trademark black bull
      patch this past summer at Philmont and placed it over the shoulder
      with the tail over the seam as the Philmont catalog described it.
      However, I have heard from at least one Scouter that I am
      not "permitted" to place more than one patch on the back or front
      (Order of the Arrow, Wood Badge, etc.) or that the jacket would lose
      its status as part of the official uniform. I need to know the
      answer and where, if anyplace, I can verify official policy on the
      red wool jacket. While I have never been a part of the uniform
      police, I am trying to be careful to wear my uniform correctly. The
      good news is that I live in a semi-tropical climate, so I'll
      probably only be able to wear the jacket once or twice a year.
      Nevertheless, this part of the "uniform" is not really addressed as
      far as I can tell. After shelling out the kind of money that I did
      for this jacket, I would like to think that I could put as many
      patches as I deemed appropriate. However, I would not want to
      offend one who is sensitive on the subject. So, can anyone quote
      the chapter and verse as to where the "official" policy can be
      found?

      Alan
      New Orleans
    • Kevin Pate
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2004
        > However, I have heard from at least one Scouter that
        > I am not "permitted" to place more than one patch
        > on the back or front (Order of the Arrow, Wood
        > Badge, etc.) or that the [RED SHIRT-JAC] would lose
        > its status as part of the official uniform.

        I'm not a uni cop, nor do I play one on tv or atcamp.
        I found info online at site operated by Col. Mike
        Walton,specifically:
        http://www.citilink.com/~blkeagle/jacshirt1.htm

        I'm providing the link instead of copying ebcause
        there are a passle of images and those won't copy over
        on this list.

        Hope it helps, and mega thanks to Mike for having info
        online.

        Kevin Pate
        justa googler outta Norman, America, where the Sooners
        escaped with another close win today.

        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        www.yahoo.com
      • Dan Kurtenbach
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2004
          The answer is found in the Insignia Guide. From page 5 of the 2003-2005
          edition:

          "JACKETS AND THEIR INSIGNIA
          "Multicolored jackets in nylon, wool, and poplin are available for optional
          wear by youth members and adult leaders. The universal emblem should be
          worn on the left pocket or, in case of a jacket without chest pockets, in
          the same area. The Philmont bull emblem is especially designed for the red
          wool jac-shirt to be sewn on the left side above the pocket. On all jackets
          the Philmont Scout Ranch, Philmont Training Center, or high-adventure base
          emblems may be worn centered on the right pocket or in the same relative
          position if there is no pocket. The Order of the Arrow has adopted the
          jac-shirt as its official jacket, and members may wear the 6-inch national
          Order of the Arrow patch centered on the back. The large Philmont, NESA,
          jamboree, National Camping School, Scoutmaster Award of Merit, and
          international participant emblems are approved to be worn the back of the
          jacket. Only one such emblem may be worn at a time. The Venture/Varsity
          letter may be worn on the center of the right side of the red or blaze nylon
          or poplin jacket. In all cases, the lightweight jacket is an alternate for
          the jac-shirt, and this insignia may be worn on it in the same way."

          Dan Kurtenbach
          Fairfax, VA