Re: [Scouter_T] Survival Game

  • NeilLup@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 4, 2004
      In a message dated 11/4/04 4:33:12 PM, Ken.Walker@... writes:

      > Side Note: Be careful if you blindly follow the "experts opinion", as you
      > may get much debate on several "opinions".

      I first saw this game as a NASA "lost on the moon" exercise. That had the
      advantage of not having anybody there who was, or who thought that they were
      super experts and of books contradicting the answer sheet.

      I have used that game several times and it has always worked well. It
      might be desirable to determine if you want to have mainly a team activities
      exercise or a wilderness survival discussion and debate.

      Best wishes,

      Neil Lupton

    • R Fisher
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 4, 2004
        Greetings Ken

        > Also, some of this info is seems very dated. For example it
        > says the following items would not be necessary:
        >
        > "5-gallon water jug. The water in the Maine wilderness is
        > potable." Hhmmmmmmmm, hardly. With the risk of gerardia and
        > cryptosporidium, it's fool-hardy to drink untreated water in
        > the wilderness.

        Not trying to be contrary, and hence the reason not posted to the list,
        but many "survival" texts now suggest if rescue is not imminent and if
        the water appears "normal" i.e. in a flowing stream, pond etc. go ahead
        and drink. Giardia and crypto will make you feel bad but can be treated
        once you are rescued. Dehydration and its unpleasant final result
        (death) can prevent you from being rescued and is untreatable.

        YiS

        Roy Fisher
      • R Fisher
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 4, 2004

          > Not trying to be contrary, and hence the reason not posted to
          > the list,

          OOPS! Well, even if I am contrary, (and maybe a little thick) I hope I
          was still . . . Friendly, Courteous, Kind . . .

          YiS

          Roy Fisher
        • Rod Smith
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 4, 2004
            Ken,

            I haven't been on Scouter -T for awhile and don't remember how to sign on.
            Can you help me?

            Rod