Survival Game

  • gaalmus@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2004
      I am searching for the survival game that involves a group stranded in Maine
      with the option of selecting from several items to ensure survival. The
      game includes an expanation from experts re. which items should be welected and
      why.

      Does anyone have this?

      Gary A. Musselman
      Scoutmaster
      Troop 53, BSA
      North Olmsted, Ohio

    • Ken.Walker@mscsoftware.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 2, 2004
        Gary/all-
        I have "played" this game (and it's variations) in various corporate
        settings.
        (However, I think my group was stranded by a plane crash in Eastern Canada.
        LOL)

        I probably have a copy buried in an old training files, or could recreate a
        list of the props, and their need (or lack there of). However, I think it's
        copyright protected (so the creators can make money selling it to corporate
        trainers.) I can check with a friend that does this for a living and see
        what she knows.

        As I recall, "correct responses" are based on the expert opinion of the
        Canadian SAR (Search & Rescue) teams.
        In fact, the MOST IMPORTANT decision is not "what to take", but "do I go,
        or do I stay?".
        That decision also impacts the priority of the list.
        The right answer is STAY PUT. (Same answer as the Wilderness Survival MB!)

        Of course, the real "learning objective" isn't the decisions -- it's the
        discovery that "none of us is as smart as all of us". Typically, the
        participants will INDIVIDUALLY select their response to the situation, and
        then work as a team to create a team response. USUALLY, the team response
        is much, much better than any individual response. Of course, some highly
        dysfunctional teams regress to a worse set of responses (been there, it
        ain't pretty).

        Here's a link to something that looks similar:
        http://scoutingweb.com/scoutingweb/SubPages/SurvivalGame.htm

        -Ken
        T-259, Plano, TX

        > Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 11:53:06 EST
        > From: gaalmus@...
        > Subject: Survival Game
        >
        > I am searching for the survival game that involves a group stranded in
        Maine
        > with the option of selecting from several items to ensure survival. The

        > game includes an expanation from experts re. which items should be
        > welected and why.
        >
        > Does anyone have this?
        >
        > Gary A. Musselman
        > Scoutmaster
        > Troop 53, BSA
        > North Olmsted, Ohio

      • Mark Neblung
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 2, 2004
          What you are looking for is in woods wisdom and I believe also it's
          replacement, Troop Program features. Going from memory, it should be
          listed under the Wilderness Survival chapter.

          If you have problem finding it, let me know and I'll do some digging.

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 2, 2004
            I, too, believe it was in Woods Wisdom, a copy of which I cannot find. The
            replacement does not have it. I'm continuing my search.

            Thanks

          • gaalmus@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 2, 2004
              Thank you very much for your response. I had the senario you sent; it isn't
              the Maine backwoods tale I was looking for. The Maine story, as I recall
              it, was much more Scout-friendly. I continue my search.

            • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-P]
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 3, 2004
                Interesting, I surprised that they don't ask: "With the ground frozen,
                how do the bury the survivors?"

                ;-)
                Pete Mullaney

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 4, 2004
                  I looked thru my copy of Woods Wisdom, and think I found what Mark was
                  talking about.

                  It took some digging, as it wasn't part of Wilderness Survival (or
                  Emergency Preparation). In fact, I kinda stumbled over it by accident, as
                  it's actually in the Leadership section -- figures! The game is called
                  "Stranded". I scanned it and put it in the Files section. Look for
                  Stranded.doc in the Outdoor_Program section.

                  Side Note: Be careful if you blindly follow the "experts opinion", as you
                  may get much debate on several "opinions".

                  Much of the "Stranded" advice contradicts info provided by the Wilderness
                  Survival MB.
                  When stranded, your priorities should be:
                  1. Positive Mental Attitude
                  2. First-Aid
                  3. Shelter
                  4. Fire building
                  5. Signaling device
                  6. Water
                  7. Food

                  Here are some of the recommended items from the Stranded list:
                  "Rank #10. Sheath knife. This could be useful for preparing any captured
                  animals, such as frogs, or cutting string, cheese, a pole, etc."
                  The WS MB doesn't recommend that Scouts capture and/or eat wild animals.
                  It's too risky.

                  "Rank #13. First-aid kit. Adhesive bandages, aspirin, and petroleum jelly
                  would be useful for minor injuries."
                  Clearly, this should be MUCH higher based on the priorities above.

                  "Rank #15. Map. An auto map could be useful for sighting major land- marks
                  like lakes, rivers, etc."
                  True. But who's going anywhere?? We teach "hug a tree" when you're lost. No
                  need for a map (unless you use it to start a wood fire.!).

                  It's also interesting that food is so highly ranked, given it's the LAST
                  item in the WS MB priority list.

                  Also, some of this info is seems very dated. For example it says the
                  following items would not be necessary:

                  "5-gallon water jug. The water in the Maine wilderness is potable."
                  Hhmmmmmmmm, hardly. With the risk of gerardia and cryptosporidium, it's
                  fool-hardy to drink untreated water in the wilderness.

                  "Coleman camp stove. Too heavy; wood fires can be used."
                  Who's going anywhere? It could be very handy.

                  "Rubber raft. Too heavy; also not likely to be useful"
                  True, but could be used as a shelter.

                  ".44 Magnum gun. Inaccurate for hunting; caliber too large for small game."
                  Again, true, but an EXCELLENT signalling device.

                  Enough on the exercise critique - just remember to use it carefully.
                  Also, as noted in the document, the real learning object is to learn about
                  decision making, reaching a group consensus, and [hopefully] learning that
                  a group needs the input from everyone to reach the best decisions.

                  -Ken Walker
                  T-259, Plano, TX

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 4, 2004
                    In a message dated 11/4/04 4:33:12 PM, Ken.Walker@... writes:

                    > Side Note: Be careful if you blindly follow the "experts opinion", as you
                    > may get much debate on several "opinions".

                    I first saw this game as a NASA "lost on the moon" exercise. That had the
                    advantage of not having anybody there who was, or who thought that they were
                    super experts and of books contradicting the answer sheet.

                    I have used that game several times and it has always worked well. It
                    might be desirable to determine if you want to have mainly a team activities
                    exercise or a wilderness survival discussion and debate.

                    Best wishes,

                    Neil Lupton

                  • R Fisher
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 4, 2004
                      Greetings Ken

                      > Also, some of this info is seems very dated. For example it
                      > says the following items would not be necessary:
                      >
                      > "5-gallon water jug. The water in the Maine wilderness is
                      > potable." Hhmmmmmmmm, hardly. With the risk of gerardia and
                      > cryptosporidium, it's fool-hardy to drink untreated water in
                      > the wilderness.

                      Not trying to be contrary, and hence the reason not posted to the list,
                      but many "survival" texts now suggest if rescue is not imminent and if
                      the water appears "normal" i.e. in a flowing stream, pond etc. go ahead
                      and drink. Giardia and crypto will make you feel bad but can be treated
                      once you are rescued. Dehydration and its unpleasant final result
                      (death) can prevent you from being rescued and is untreatable.

                      YiS

                      Roy Fisher
                    • R Fisher
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 4, 2004

                        > Not trying to be contrary, and hence the reason not posted to
                        > the list,

                        OOPS! Well, even if I am contrary, (and maybe a little thick) I hope I
                        was still . . . Friendly, Courteous, Kind . . .

                        YiS

                        Roy Fisher
                      • Rod Smith
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 4, 2004
                          Ken,

                          I haven't been on Scouter -T for awhile and don't remember how to sign on.
                          Can you help me?

                          Rod