Safe Environment Program

  • Donna Ragusa
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 2004
      Hi Ken and Chuck,

      I am a facilitator for our Archdiocese Safe Envirmonment program. Since I
      am cub scout training chair in my district, this sort of thing seemed up my
      alley. YPT and SEP are meant to be 2 totally different perspectives on
      protecting children. SEP should have been more broad so that we all in our
      catholic community know what to look for and how to keep children safe. Of
      course, being trained scout leaders, we have a jump on the rest of the
      community in already practicing 2 deep leadership, etc. I draw a lot on my
      scouting experience and that of the scouters in my audiences. The program
      is actually based on our Guide to Safe Scouting and they even use the same
      company to do background checks. Still, I find the training to be totally
      different than YPT, with emphasis on recognizing abusers rather than looking
      for signs of abuse in children after the fact. I hope your session answered
      more questions than it raised. If you'd like any additional info, I'd be
      glad to help.

      Donna Ragusa
      WPCBSA