Re: [Scouter_T] Re: ASL

  • David Loomis
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 23, 2004
      And more to the point, they may have been quoting from an out of
      date publication that they picked up at the council shop. (Yes,
      Virginia, some council shops do sell out of date publications until they
      are exhausted so they don't have to eat the cost of trashing the out of
      date publications.)

      Citing BSA publications should always be done by noting the alpha
      shred-out - 12345B <- that alpha shred-out - as well as the page number
      for the material. Frequently BSA publishes revisions with little done
      but rearrange the paragraphs to suit some new overseer's desires; the
      Training Committee Guide is a good example of this recently. BSA is
      also famous for using the same copyright date for a whole series of
      revisions of the Mark I publication, so it is impossible to go by the
      copyright date for most of their material. The /only/ valid way to
      check if a BSA publication is up to date, or is the latest revision is
      to check it out in the Scouting's Library of Literature, bin # 70-080N
      <- the "N" represents the alpha shred-out of this publication. I
      believe the latest revision is "C". Contrary to what your council may
      have told you, you /can/ order this and many other bit items by phoning
      the National Supply Service, in North Carolina, 1 800 323 0732, and
      asking them to send you one. Generally they won't send you the Library
      of Literature in the same box/envelope with other stuff you may have
      just ordered, since they come from separate areas of the warehouse. In
      this case you will get the Library of Literature in a separate mailing

      Paul wrote:

      > 130 pages? Sounds like someones pet project and that they killed a
      > lot of tree's copying parts of books already published instead of
      > just pointing out the books
      >

      > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-P]"
      > <peter.mullaney@u...> wrote:
      > > Charges for our training are supposed to build in cost of copying
      > and a
      > > little administrative salary. For BALOO we hand out a good sized
      > packet,
      > > but I don't think any of our trainings (maybe WoodBadge/JLTC
      > excepted)
      > > have 130 page packets.

      Dave Loomis mailto: dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
      245 Union St. (603) 431 5342