RE: [Scouter_T] RE: Cub Scout Training ?

  • Richard Damon
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 19, 2004
      I would like to get a copy of this too!

      Richard Damon
      --
      rbrdamon@... (Home)
      rdamon@... (Work)
      ScoutMaster, Troop 302
      Pack Trainer, Pack 306, Arlington, MA
      District Member at Large, Training Committee, Sons of Liberty District
      Boston Minuteman Council
      I used to be a fox... (NE-I-209)
      and now a staffer too (NE-I-234)

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
        I also would like to get a copy is possible
        Jay Oakman
        District Cub Trainer
        Mid America Council

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Clay Converse <barbarossade@g...>

      • Nadine Melchior
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 22, 2004
          I would also like a copy of this! It would be helpful.

          Nadine

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com<mailto:scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>, Clay Converse <barbarossade@g<mailto:barbarossade@g>...>
          wrote:
          > Our Distirct is using a CD that contains both the PPT slides and
          the videos
          > embeded on the CD, to allow us to do an integrated training without
          having
          > to use different media for display purposed. It can be used with a
          computer
          > driving a video projector or a TV / large screen monitor. This
          might be an
          > option. We have trained 39 Scouters in two trainings using this
          version of
          > NLE in the last week.
          >
          > Clay Converse
          > Barbarossa District
          > Transatlantic Council, BSA
          >

          > On 19/9/04 2:45, "Fred Goodwin, CMA" <fgoodwin@s...> wrote:
          >
          > >> Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 08:00:42 -0400
          > >> From: David Swift <dswift@t...>
          > >>
          > >> Try this link:
          > >> http://cnyscouts.homestead.com/files/training/index.html<http://cnyscoutshomestead.com/files/training/index.html>
          > >>
          > >> You will find a link to online NLE training
          > >> I do not know if your council will accept this for training as
          > >> it is from our local council.
          > >
          > > I doubt if my Council would accept it as a self-study course in
          > > completion of the NLE requirements -- although the slides are
          > > basically taken directly from the NLE syllabus (with the exception
          > > of your last, Council-specific slide), the problem is, the slides
          > > *supplement* the NLE course material, but are not designed to
          stand
          > > alone as a self-paced, self-study course.
          > >
          > > A perfect example is "How Youth Grow & Develop", which is just one
          > > slide in the PPT file, but comprises an entire video in the actual
          > > course, a video which is omitted from the PPT presentation.
          > >
          > > The actual course includes four more videos, all of which are
          > > missing from the PPT presentation: Introduction, Scouting Begins
          > > with Youth, How Do I Keep Scouting Safe, Closing.
          > >
          > > I think much is gained from seeing the videos, and the video
          > > content cannot be adequately reproduced in a set of PPT slides.
          > >
          > > So while it is helpful to have the PPT slides available, I don't
          > > think they were ever intended to be used as a stand alone,
          > > self-study course.
          > >
          > > Fred Goodwin
          > > Cub Scout Trainer
          > > Alamo Area Council

          > > scouter_t-help@yahoogroups.com
          > >
          > > Scouting The Net - http://www.arkie.net/scouting/<http://www.arkie.net/scouting/>
          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Scouting The Net - http://www.arkie.net/scouting/<http://www.arkie.net/scouting/>

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1291h64gf/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=1705066162:HM/EXP=1095765280/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

        • Brant Lippincott
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 15, 2004
            I'm following up on some old emails.....

            How do you do this? Have a slide that points to the video & It kicks off the video player?? How big are the videos??

            Our preferred method is to hook the VCR & laptop up to the projector & just switch the input. We've never hooked up directly to the TV.

            For the Boys,
            Brant

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Clay Converse wrote:
            > Our Distirct is using a CD that contains both the PPT slides
            > and the videos embeded on the CD, to allow us to do an
            > integrated training without having to use different media for
            > display purposed. It can be used with a computer driving a
            > video projector or a TV / large screen monitor.

          • Sean Scott
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 15, 2004
              Brant asked: < snip> How do you do this? Have a slide that points to the
              video & It kicks off the video player?? How big are the videos??

              Wood Badge for the 21st Century includes a lot of PowerPoint presentations,
              and some integrate video clips as well. BSA provides the video segments on
              tape, and the PowerPoint on CD.

              What we did is to take the video and compress it out as an .mpeg movie, then
              embed that as a movie object into the PowerPoint itself. This way, there's
              no switching inputs, and the video plays seamlessly as a part of the
              presentation. There are a number of video converters (the one by Dazzle
              comes to mind...) that allow you to run video from a camcorder, VCR, or
              other video source, and store it on your hard drive as a file.

              YiS,
              Sean