Re: [Scouter_T] Concurrent outdoor sessions

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 9, 2004
      One thought comes to mind, why not ask around to you district's
      Cubmasters and Webelos leaders in your more active packs to come out
      and do a session, maybe even tag team sessions for those that may be
      hesitant to take on an assignment alone. It has always been my opinion
      that, although not preferable, you do not have to have gone through a
      training class to make a good instructor. I would work with your DE,
      DC, and Commissioners staff to try to locate capable people in the
      various topics you need to cover. In my experience, the cooking demos
      (we normally do two - foil for lunch and dutch ovens for a dinner) are
      the hardest to staff appropriately. Once you commit to a training event
      I would try very hard not to cancel or postpone. It doesn't set a good
      president for future attendance. You may be surprised at just how much
      knowledge and talent is out there, especially in units that have an
      active camping program. There are also many in Cub Scouts who have sons
      (read camping experience) in the BS program and may be dual registered
      as leaders in both. Good luck and don't give up the ship too soon.
      Yours in Scouting,

      Jim ball
      "your" Council Training Chairman
      Central florida Council (Orlando)

      On Sep 9, 2004, at 10:06 AM, Lady T wrote:

      > Last spring, the district training team got together and began
      > planning our schedule for the year. Sitting at a table with pizza
      > all around us, we, in our infinite wisdom, said, "Oh, Yeah! We can
      > make 3 trainings at once work! BALOO can be run right along with
      > IOLS and OWLS, and we can borrow from each others' staff."
      >
      > Well, now that the time is here, I have a staff of two for BALOO...
      > myself and one other gentleman. HA! None of the others want to come
      > over to BALOO, even for a session during the day. Most of our IOLS
      > leaders are coming in for their particular session and then leaving.
      > With this training less than 2 weeks away, I have pleaded with the
      > professionals to postpone the BALOO. I hate doing that, but what's a
      > gal to do? All of the previous participants I have polled are
      > involved in one of the other trainings, either as a participant or a
      > staff member. I would rather postpone than to have an unproductive
      > training.
      >
      > Thoughts?
      >
      > Lady T

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Alan Smason
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 9, 2004
        A Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO) is possible to be run with
        a staff of two, but is certainly not advised. I wouldn't want to disappoint
        those participants who are already signed up for the training, but if you
        and one other stout fellow trainer is all you can muster, you may be
        shortchanging them the essentials of this important training. Perhaps you
        can find out from your local council who is currently listed as
        BALOO-trained and call them directly. Impress upon them the importance of
        giving you an assist on this one occasion. Of course you could postpone the
        course, but you run the risk of penalizing interested participants due to no
        fault of their own. My former Assistant District Commissioner, the late
        Lloyd Solis, always believed that a proper staff for BALOO should consist of
        at least ten (10) qualified instructors. While we may not always reach that
        mark, it is a good goal to shoot for. Good luck.

        Alan Smason
        Pontchartrain District Commissioner
        Southeast Louisiana Council

[...]

        ---
        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

        ---
      • Richard Pushies
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 9, 2004
          Hi Lady T,

          Do you have a list of email addresses for Scouters in your area? I
          bet you do. Send out an email and let your fellow Scouters know you
          need their help staffing your upcoming BALOO training. Give them the
          who, what, where, why and attach a copy of your flyer. Ask them to
          forward your message to all the Scouters they know. Including
          a "please" in your email won't hurt. Your might be very surprised at
          the response you get from your fellow Scouters. Heck, I'd come and
          help but I don't think you are very close to Santa Maria, CA.

          Keep in mind that according to the BSA policy a Scouter can
          become trained in three different methods. They are: Group Training
          (what we normally think of when we think of a training experience),
          Personal Coaching, and Self-Study. Now each of these methods have
          benefits and draw backs, but the whole idea of training is to train
          leaders, not to put on training courses. Check out the "Methods and
          Levels of Training" pages in the "Leadership Training Committee
          Guide". They will even explain a process to set up a self study
          training program. I've used both Personal Coaching and Self Study
          methods myself, and they work. However it is hard to get good patrol
          spirit going when there is only one participant, as in the Personal
          Coaching. I still love Group Training, but sometimes you need to look
          for new methods to get Scouters trained.

          Yours Truly in Scouting,
          Rick Pushies

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Lady T" <eagleladyt@y...> wrote:
          > Last spring, the district training team got together and began
          > planning our schedule for the year. Sitting at a table with pizza
          > all around us, we, in our infinite wisdom, said, "Oh, Yeah! We can
          > make 3 trainings at once work! BALOO can be run right along with
          > IOLS and OWLS, and we can borrow from each others' staff."
          >
          > Well, now that the time is here, I have a staff of two for BALOO...
          > myself and one other gentleman. HA! None of the others want to
          come
          > over to BALOO, even for a session during the day. Most of our IOLS
          > leaders are coming in for their particular session and then
          leaving.
          > With this training less than 2 weeks away, I have pleaded with the
          > professionals to postpone the BALOO. I hate doing that, but what's
          > gal to do? All of the previous participants I have polled are
          > involved in one of the other trainings, either as a participant or
          > staff member. I would rather postpone than to have an unproductive
          > training.
          >
          > Thoughts?
          >
          > Lady T
        • Herbert Dulzo
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 9, 2004
            I recall something about the Order of the Arrow helping with outdoor
            leader training. Another resource is a Venturing crew. In order
            for members to advance the have to teach the skill ie camping, leave
            no trace, orienteering.... If that doesn't work, recruit some den
            chiefs to help.

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Lady T" <eagleladyt@y...> wrote:
            > Last spring, the district training team got together and began
            > planning our schedule for the year. Sitting at a table with pizza
            > all around us, we, in our infinite wisdom, said, "Oh, Yeah! We can
            > make 3 trainings at once work! BALOO can be run right along with
            > IOLS and OWLS, and we can borrow from each others' staff."
            >
            > Well, now that the time is here, I have a staff of two for
            BALOO...
            > myself and one other gentleman. HA! None of the others want to
            come
            > over to BALOO, even for a session during the day. Most of our
            IOLS
            > leaders are coming in for their particular session and then
            leaving.
            > With this training less than 2 weeks away, I have pleaded with the
            > professionals to postpone the BALOO. I hate doing that, but
            what's a
            > gal to do? All of the previous participants I have polled are
            > involved in one of the other trainings, either as a participant or
            > staff member. I would rather postpone than to have an
            unproductive
            > training.
            >
            > Thoughts?
            >
            > Lady T
          • Kris Swank
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
              I may be the only one who does it with BALOO but I use Venturers who are
              working on their Ranger award for some of the sessions. The cooking
              demo, campfire, first aid & sanitation and hikes & games all work really
              well for Venturers. Also, they can come in handy for some of the
              sessions in the WOLT and IOLS. Obviously you have to use caution and
              know the young person but they do a good job and can be ambassadors for
              the Venturing program. I have gotten more glowing compliments for my
              Venturers than I can count.
              YIS,
              Kris Swank
              OT Training Chait
              East Texas Area Council
            • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-P]
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 10, 2004
                We have used Boy Scouts for the cooking portions, but you have to remind
                them
                that this is for family camping cooking, not Boy Scouts learning to do their
                own cooking.

                Pete M.