Re: Training Tracking Software

  • Richard Pushies
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2004
      Hi David,

      I'm not sure what happened to my last posting, the new information I
      added did not get sent out. So I'll try again.

      I understand that normally direct access to ScoutNet is restricted to
      employees of your council. However, your unit serving Professional
      (DE) can get reports printed for you showing the training status of
      Scouters in your district. It may take him a few days to get the
      reports sent to you, but they are available.

      Your statement about training codes for training events prior to 2000
      not being available is not quite correct, they are. It took some
      digging to get them, but they do exist, and here they are:

      Code Description
      C Cub Scout Adult Training Series
      C07 Den Leader Coach Seminar
      C09 Webelos Den Leader Outdoor
      C20 Cub Scout Leader Basic Training Completed
      C30 Cub Scout Leader Pow-Wow
      C44 Cubmaster Award
      C45 Den Leader Award
      C46 Webelos Den Leader Award
      C47 Cub Scouter Award
      C48 Den Leader Coach Award
      C49 Tiger Cub Coach Award
      C90 Cub Scout Trainer Wood Badge
      CF-1 Cub Scout Den Leader Fast Start
      CF-2 Webelos Den Leader Fast Start
      CF-3 Cubmaster Fast Start
      CF-4 Pack Committee Fast Start
      CF-5 Tiger Cub Coach Fast Start
      P Venturing Adult Training Series
      P20 * Adult Venturing Leader Basic Training completed
      P40 Crew Officer's Seminar
      P41 Advisor's Key
      P91 Training Award - Venturing
      S Boy Scout Adult Leader Training Series
      S21 * Scoutmastership Fundamentals completed
      S07 * The Troop Meeting (part 1)
      S08 * Troop Organization (part 2)
      S09 * The Outdoor Program (part 3)
      S10 The Troop Committee Challenge
      S32 Troop Junior Leader Training
      S40 Scoutmaster's Key
      S41 Boy Scout Leader's Training Award
      S50 Leadership Training for leader's of 11-year old Scouts
      S90 Boy Scout Leader Wood Badge
      SFS Boy Scout Leader Fast Start completed
      V Varsity Scout Adult Training Series
      V01 * Introduction to Varsity Scouting
      V02 * Varsity Scouting Leadership
      V03 * Varsity Scout Program
      V20 * Varsity Scout Leader Fundamantals Completed
      V33 The Varsity Scout Letter
      V34 Youth Leaders in Varsity Scouting
      V40 Varsity Scout Coach's Key
      V41 Training Award - Varsity Scouting
      VFS Varsity Scout Leader Fast Start completed
      Y01 Youth Protection Training

      D District/Council Adult Training Series
      D00 Commissioner Orientation
      D20 * Commissioner Basic Training completed
      D01 * Why Commissioners?
      D02 *Units: The Commissioner's Top Priority
      D03 * How to Help a Unit
      D30 Commissioner Conference
      D31 Arrowhead Award
      D39 Commissioner's Key: Council and Assistant Council Commissioner
      D40 Commissioner's Key: District and Assistant District
      Commissioner
      D41 Commissioner's Key: Unit Commissioner
      D42 Commissioner's Key: Roundtable Commissioner
      D43 Training Award: Roundtable Staff
      D60 District Committee Key
      D61 * District Committee Training Workshop
      D70 Train The Trainer Conference
      D71 Council Officer / Board Orientation
      D73 Health and Safety Course

      And here are all the new training codes:

      Training Code Listing
      CODE DESCRIPTION
      Training for All Program Levels
      A01 New Leader Essentials
      A90 Wood Badge for the 21st Century
      Y01 Youth Protection Training

      C Cub Scout Adult Training Series
      C09 Webelos Den Leader Outdoor
      C30 Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow
      C31 Den Chief Training
      C32 Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation
      C40 Cubmaster Specific Training
      C41 Tiger Cub Den Leader Specific Training
      C42 Cub Scout Den Leader Specific Training
      C43 Tiger Cub Den Leader Award
      C44 Cubmaster Award
      C45 Cub Scout Den Leader Award
      C46 Webelos Den Leader Award
      C47 Cub Scouter Award
      C60 Pack Committee Member Specific Training
      C61 Webelos Den Leader Specific Training
      C90 Cub Scout Trainer Wood Badge
      CF-1 Cub Scout Den Leader Fast Start
      CF-2 Webelos Den Leader Fast Start
      CF-3 Cubmaster Fast Start
      CF-4 Pack Committee Fast Start
      CF-6 Tiger Cub Den Leader Fast Start

      D District/Council Adult Training Series
      D00 Commissioner Orientation
      D20 Commissioner Basic Training
      D01 Why Commissioners?
      D02 Units: The Commissioner's Top Priority
      D03 How to Help a Unit
      D10 Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner and Staff Basic Training
      D11 Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner Training
      D30 Commissioner Conference
      D31 Arrowhead Award
      D39 Commissioner's Key: Council and Assistant Council Commissioner
      D40 Commissioner's Key: District and Assistant District
      Commissioner
      D41 Commissioner's Key: Unit Commissioner
      D42 Commissioner's Key: Roundtable Commissioner
      D43 Training Award: Roundtable Staff
      D60 District Committee Key
      D61 District Committee Training Workshop
      D69 Trainer Development Conference
      D71 Council Officer/Board Orientation
      D73 Health and Safety Course

      P Venturing Adult Training Series
      P21 Venturing Leader Specific Training
      P30 Sea Scouting Leader Specialized Training
      P31 Crew Officers' Seminar
      P40 Advisor's Key
      P41 Skipper's Key
      P43 Training Award—Venturing
      P91 Sea Badge
      PFS Advisor Fast Start

      S Boy Scout Adult Training Series
      S10 The Troop Committee Challenge
      S11 Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills
      S24 Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training
      S32 Troop Junior Leader Training
      S40 Scoutmaster's Key
      S41 Boy Scout Leader's Training Award
      S50 Leadership Training for Leaders of 11-Year-Old Scouts
      SFS Boy Scout Leader Fast Start completed

      V Varsity Scout Adult Training Series
      V21 Varsity Coach Leader Specific Training
      S11 Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills
      V33 The Varsity Scout Letter
      V34 Youth Leaders in Varsity Scouting
      V40 Varsity Scout Coach's Key
      V41 Training Award—Varsity Scouting
      VFS Varsity Scout Leader Fast

      Yours Truly in Scouting,
      Rick Pushies
    • Ida Lively
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
        > ScoutNet has no provisions for recording training completed
        > before the 2000 traning course revisions, such as Wood Badge for the
        > 20th Century, and other similar courses.
        >
        > Dave

        This is incorrect. My council has entered information with
        dates prior to 2000. The registrar just needs to select the
        Correct code (i.e. Y01 or A01), AND ... If there isn't a
        code already present, your council people can create their OWN
        SPECIAL CODE through the "custom" area.

        And, as for reports, it only takes a minute to call the Council
        Office, tell the people there what you need, and they can have it
        ready for you by the time you drive to the office.

        I'm learning all kinds of things. ScoutNet is a great database.
        People just need to be trained how to BETTER use it.

        If you need to know who is trained and for what position,
        you need to keep better records at your end, or your district
        training chair needs to. I can go back through my paper records
        and look for a name. It makes it easier if/when a Scouter knows
        an approximate date of when they took the training.

        Ida Lively
        - Nittany District Training Chair
        - Training Team Liaison, Juniata Valley Council
      • Fred Goodwin, CMA
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
          > Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 00:04:15 -0000
          > From: "Richard Pushies" <rpushies@...>
          >
          > For those would like to have this type of trainging information
          > accurately recorded at no additional cost, know that almost all
          > of the information listed for the Automated District Management
          > System is also recorded in ScoutNet.

          Richard, as a unit, we use "Scoutmate" and we updated our leader
          training records at recharter; but I've since been told that that
          information isn't uploaded to ScoutNet at recharter.

          Is this a national policy, or this something our local council is
          doing? We took a lot of time last year inventorying our leaders
          about their training, but I don't want to waste my time and theirs
          again this year at recharter if the information is ignored.

          Thanx,

          Fred Goodwin
          ACM, Pack 2003
          Alamo Area Council
        • Judy Yeager
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
            Ida said, "And, as for reports, it only takes a minute to call the Council
            Office, tell the people there what you need, and they can have it ready for
            you by the time you drive to the office."

            This may be how it works in your Council, but I don't think you would have
            any luck calling our Council office and asking for reports! Not only is our
            Council office grossly understaffed, we have had LOADS of problems with
            ScoutNet. Even if you could call, drive over and pick up forms, at the
            present time they really aren't very reliable.

            Here's hoping that your mileage DOES vary!

            Judy Yeager
            Heart of America Council
          • Ned Darden
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
              --- Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:

              > This may be how it works in your Council, but I
              > don't think you would have
              > any luck calling our Council office and asking for
              > reports!

              I'll second that for our council (Gulf Coast -
              Florida). I know for a fact that few if any training
              information has been input to ScoutNet for our
              council. The registrar says she doesn't have time to
              do that with the crush of recharter info to input. I
              submitted my recharter info on disk and it still takes
              2-3 months to get the paperwork and member cards back.

              At the last recharter, I also submitted advancement
              info for all the Scouts I rechartered beginning from
              the day they joined the troop. I watched this info
              being loaded into ScoutNet and was informed that this
              was the first time she had been able to upload this
              info. As far as I know, there is only one other troop
              in the council that has advancement info loaded on
              ScoutNet.

              I've suggested that the council require use of
              electronic media to recharter but the Luddites are in
              charge so it won't happen any time soon. The average
              turnaround time for recharter paperwork is 4-5 months
              with some units taking as much as 8 months.

              Ned Darden
              SM, T451
              I used to be a Bobwhite - SR-254

              http://mail.yahoo.com