Re: Training Tracking Software

  • Richard Pushies
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2004
      Hello Scouters,

      For those would like to have this type of trainging information
      accurately recorded at no additional cost, know that almost all of
      the information listed for the Automated District Management System
      is also recorded in ScoutNet.

      ScoutNet is a relational database develpoded and utilized by the Boy
      Scouts of America to manage chartered units, youth members and adult
      members. Each training event has a corresponding code that is entered
      into ScoutNet to credit and idividual for completing a particular
      training event. As an example, Youth Protection Training has a
      training code of Y01 and A01 is the code for New Leader Essentials.
      The quality of the data entered into the ScoutNet system is based on
      training reports being completed after a training event and sent to
      the council. Once the training report is received then the record of
      each Scouter who attended that traininge event can be updated to
      reflect that he/she has completed the training. If training reports
      on not completed by the staff administering the training and the
      completed reports are not sent to the council office, then the
      information in ScoutNet about training will be a poor reflection of
      who has actually been trained. This is often the case.

      If the ScoutNet sytem to record leader training is allowed to work it
      works rather well. But, if the training reports are not processed
      properly then both ScoutNet and the Automated District Management
      Sytem would show a poor record of who has been trained.

      Yours Truly in Scouting,
      Rick Pushies
      Scouter

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, JNDunnMN@a... wrote:

      > From time to time we have had questions/discussion regarding
      methods of tracking training attendance, trained status of leaders,
      etc.

      > Our district training chair pointed out to me that in the latest
      issue of Scouting Magazine, Troopmaster is advertising the release of
      their "Automated District Management System".
      > Among it's features:
      >
      > -Tracks district and unit leaders, including personal data,
      training, special awards, leadership positions/history, and Order of
      the Arrow.
      > -Includes a comprehensive training management capability.
      > --Create training schedules with dates, locations, instructors,
      expected attendees, etc.
      > --Credit all attendees when the training is complete. Automatically
      generate training completion reports for your council.
      > --Group credit feature makes it easy to credit adults for a prior
      training class or for which there was no schedule
      > --Establish training expiration periods and use on reports
      > --Easily see who has/needs training and who has been scheduled
      >
      > While it's pricey (introductory price $179.95), it offers many
      features that may be useful to us.

      http://www.troopmaster.com/products/adms/adms.html

      > --
      > YiS,
      > Jamie Dunn
      > Pack Trainer
      > P. 512
      > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      > Cub Scout Training Chair
      > 3 Rivers District
    • David Loomis
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 31, 2004
        Whiloe all of this may be true, most of us don't have much access
        to ScoutNet, deliberately so, and ScoutNet is poor at determining who is
        trained for which positions. For teh most part it mus rely on the
        reports of the various units and people who have no clue about what it
        takes to be considered trained in the new 21st Century Scout movement.

        ScoutNet has no provisions for recording training completed
        before the 2000 traning course revisions, such as Wood Badge for the
        20th Century, and other similar courses.

        Dave

        Dave Loomis mailto: dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
        245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
        Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349

      • Richard Pushies
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 31, 2004
          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, David Loomis <dloomis@n...> wrote:
> [...]
          > > > --Establish training expiration periods and use on reports
          > > > --Easily see who has/needs training and who has been scheduled
          > > >
          > > > While it's pricey (introductory price $179.95), it offers many
          > > features that may be useful to us.
          > > >
          > > > Here's a link to their web site:
          > > http://www.troopmaster.com/products/adms/adms.html
          > > >
          > > > --
          > > > YiS,
          > > > Jamie Dunn
          > > > Pack Trainer
          > > > P. 512
          > > > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
          > > > Cub Scout Training Chair
          > > > 3 Rivers District

          > > scouter_t-help@yahoogroups.com
          > >
          > > Scouting The Net - http://www.arkie.net/scouting/
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1296gdqi0/M=295196.4901138.6071305.300117
          6/D=groups/S=1705066162:HM/EXP=1094084455/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/

          subject=Unsubscribe>

          > --
          >
          > To reply, click on the mailto: address below.
          >
          > Dave Loomis mailto: dloomis.nh.ultranet@r...
          > 245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
          > Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349

        • Laura R Lyster
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 31, 2004
            I wanted to add that National BSA has updated their ScoutNet system so
            that the training part of their software is much more user friendly to
            the registrar or whomever is entering the training data. New reports can
            be run, training is easier to record and records are updated easier.

            In Scouting,
            Laura
          • Richard Pushies
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 31, 2004
              Hi David,

              I'm not sure what happened to my last posting, the new information I
              added did not get sent out. So I'll try again.

              I understand that normally direct access to ScoutNet is restricted to
              employees of your council. However, your unit serving Professional
              (DE) can get reports printed for you showing the training status of
              Scouters in your district. It may take him a few days to get the
              reports sent to you, but they are available.

              Your statement about training codes for training events prior to 2000
              not being available is not quite correct, they are. It took some
              digging to get them, but they do exist, and here they are:

              Code Description
              C Cub Scout Adult Training Series
              C07 Den Leader Coach Seminar
              C09 Webelos Den Leader Outdoor
              C20 Cub Scout Leader Basic Training Completed
              C30 Cub Scout Leader Pow-Wow
              C44 Cubmaster Award
              C45 Den Leader Award
              C46 Webelos Den Leader Award
              C47 Cub Scouter Award
              C48 Den Leader Coach Award
              C49 Tiger Cub Coach Award
              C90 Cub Scout Trainer Wood Badge
              CF-1 Cub Scout Den Leader Fast Start
              CF-2 Webelos Den Leader Fast Start
              CF-3 Cubmaster Fast Start
              CF-4 Pack Committee Fast Start
              CF-5 Tiger Cub Coach Fast Start
              P Venturing Adult Training Series
              P20 * Adult Venturing Leader Basic Training completed
              P40 Crew Officer's Seminar
              P41 Advisor's Key
              P91 Training Award - Venturing
              S Boy Scout Adult Leader Training Series
              S21 * Scoutmastership Fundamentals completed
              S07 * The Troop Meeting (part 1)
              S08 * Troop Organization (part 2)
              S09 * The Outdoor Program (part 3)
              S10 The Troop Committee Challenge
              S32 Troop Junior Leader Training
              S40 Scoutmaster's Key
              S41 Boy Scout Leader's Training Award
              S50 Leadership Training for leader's of 11-year old Scouts
              S90 Boy Scout Leader Wood Badge
              SFS Boy Scout Leader Fast Start completed
              V Varsity Scout Adult Training Series
              V01 * Introduction to Varsity Scouting
              V02 * Varsity Scouting Leadership
              V03 * Varsity Scout Program
              V20 * Varsity Scout Leader Fundamantals Completed
              V33 The Varsity Scout Letter
              V34 Youth Leaders in Varsity Scouting
              V40 Varsity Scout Coach's Key
              V41 Training Award - Varsity Scouting
              VFS Varsity Scout Leader Fast Start completed
              Y01 Youth Protection Training

              D District/Council Adult Training Series
              D00 Commissioner Orientation
              D20 * Commissioner Basic Training completed
              D01 * Why Commissioners?
              D02 *Units: The Commissioner's Top Priority
              D03 * How to Help a Unit
              D30 Commissioner Conference
              D31 Arrowhead Award
              D39 Commissioner's Key: Council and Assistant Council Commissioner
              D40 Commissioner's Key: District and Assistant District
              Commissioner
              D41 Commissioner's Key: Unit Commissioner
              D42 Commissioner's Key: Roundtable Commissioner
              D43 Training Award: Roundtable Staff
              D60 District Committee Key
              D61 * District Committee Training Workshop
              D70 Train The Trainer Conference
              D71 Council Officer / Board Orientation
              D73 Health and Safety Course

              And here are all the new training codes:

              Training Code Listing
              CODE DESCRIPTION
              Training for All Program Levels
              A01 New Leader Essentials
              A90 Wood Badge for the 21st Century
              Y01 Youth Protection Training

              C Cub Scout Adult Training Series
              C09 Webelos Den Leader Outdoor
              C30 Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow
              C31 Den Chief Training
              C32 Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation
              C40 Cubmaster Specific Training
              C41 Tiger Cub Den Leader Specific Training
              C42 Cub Scout Den Leader Specific Training
              C43 Tiger Cub Den Leader Award
              C44 Cubmaster Award
              C45 Cub Scout Den Leader Award
              C46 Webelos Den Leader Award
              C47 Cub Scouter Award
              C60 Pack Committee Member Specific Training
              C61 Webelos Den Leader Specific Training
              C90 Cub Scout Trainer Wood Badge
              CF-1 Cub Scout Den Leader Fast Start
              CF-2 Webelos Den Leader Fast Start
              CF-3 Cubmaster Fast Start
              CF-4 Pack Committee Fast Start
              CF-6 Tiger Cub Den Leader Fast Start

              D District/Council Adult Training Series
              D00 Commissioner Orientation
              D20 Commissioner Basic Training
              D01 Why Commissioners?
              D02 Units: The Commissioner's Top Priority
              D03 How to Help a Unit
              D10 Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner and Staff Basic Training
              D11 Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner Training
              D30 Commissioner Conference
              D31 Arrowhead Award
              D39 Commissioner's Key: Council and Assistant Council Commissioner
              D40 Commissioner's Key: District and Assistant District
              Commissioner
              D41 Commissioner's Key: Unit Commissioner
              D42 Commissioner's Key: Roundtable Commissioner
              D43 Training Award: Roundtable Staff
              D60 District Committee Key
              D61 District Committee Training Workshop
              D69 Trainer Development Conference
              D71 Council Officer/Board Orientation
              D73 Health and Safety Course

              P Venturing Adult Training Series
              P21 Venturing Leader Specific Training
              P30 Sea Scouting Leader Specialized Training
              P31 Crew Officers' Seminar
              P40 Advisor's Key
              P41 Skipper's Key
              P43 Training Award—Venturing
              P91 Sea Badge
              PFS Advisor Fast Start

              S Boy Scout Adult Training Series
              S10 The Troop Committee Challenge
              S11 Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills
              S24 Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training
              S32 Troop Junior Leader Training
              S40 Scoutmaster's Key
              S41 Boy Scout Leader's Training Award
              S50 Leadership Training for Leaders of 11-Year-Old Scouts
              SFS Boy Scout Leader Fast Start completed

              V Varsity Scout Adult Training Series
              V21 Varsity Coach Leader Specific Training
              S11 Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills
              V33 The Varsity Scout Letter
              V34 Youth Leaders in Varsity Scouting
              V40 Varsity Scout Coach's Key
              V41 Training Award—Varsity Scouting
              VFS Varsity Scout Leader Fast

              Yours Truly in Scouting,
              Rick Pushies
            • Ida Lively
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
                > ScoutNet has no provisions for recording training completed
                > before the 2000 traning course revisions, such as Wood Badge for the
                > 20th Century, and other similar courses.
                >
                > Dave

                This is incorrect. My council has entered information with
                dates prior to 2000. The registrar just needs to select the
                Correct code (i.e. Y01 or A01), AND ... If there isn't a
                code already present, your council people can create their OWN
                SPECIAL CODE through the "custom" area.

                And, as for reports, it only takes a minute to call the Council
                Office, tell the people there what you need, and they can have it
                ready for you by the time you drive to the office.

                I'm learning all kinds of things. ScoutNet is a great database.
                People just need to be trained how to BETTER use it.

                If you need to know who is trained and for what position,
                you need to keep better records at your end, or your district
                training chair needs to. I can go back through my paper records
                and look for a name. It makes it easier if/when a Scouter knows
                an approximate date of when they took the training.

                Ida Lively
                - Nittany District Training Chair
                - Training Team Liaison, Juniata Valley Council
              • Fred Goodwin, CMA
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
                  > Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 00:04:15 -0000
                  > From: "Richard Pushies" <rpushies@...>
                  >
                  > For those would like to have this type of trainging information
                  > accurately recorded at no additional cost, know that almost all
                  > of the information listed for the Automated District Management
                  > System is also recorded in ScoutNet.

                  Richard, as a unit, we use "Scoutmate" and we updated our leader
                  training records at recharter; but I've since been told that that
                  information isn't uploaded to ScoutNet at recharter.

                  Is this a national policy, or this something our local council is
                  doing? We took a lot of time last year inventorying our leaders
                  about their training, but I don't want to waste my time and theirs
                  again this year at recharter if the information is ignored.

                  Thanx,

                  Fred Goodwin
                  ACM, Pack 2003
                  Alamo Area Council
                • Judy Yeager
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
                    Ida said, "And, as for reports, it only takes a minute to call the Council
                    Office, tell the people there what you need, and they can have it ready for
                    you by the time you drive to the office."

                    This may be how it works in your Council, but I don't think you would have
                    any luck calling our Council office and asking for reports! Not only is our
                    Council office grossly understaffed, we have had LOADS of problems with
                    ScoutNet. Even if you could call, drive over and pick up forms, at the
                    present time they really aren't very reliable.

                    Here's hoping that your mileage DOES vary!

                    Judy Yeager
                    Heart of America Council
                  • Ned Darden
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
                      --- Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:

                      > This may be how it works in your Council, but I
                      > don't think you would have
                      > any luck calling our Council office and asking for
                      > reports!

                      I'll second that for our council (Gulf Coast -
                      Florida). I know for a fact that few if any training
                      information has been input to ScoutNet for our
                      council. The registrar says she doesn't have time to
                      do that with the crush of recharter info to input. I
                      submitted my recharter info on disk and it still takes
                      2-3 months to get the paperwork and member cards back.

                      At the last recharter, I also submitted advancement
                      info for all the Scouts I rechartered beginning from
                      the day they joined the troop. I watched this info
                      being loaded into ScoutNet and was informed that this
                      was the first time she had been able to upload this
                      info. As far as I know, there is only one other troop
                      in the council that has advancement info loaded on
                      ScoutNet.

                      I've suggested that the council require use of
                      electronic media to recharter but the Luddites are in
                      charge so it won't happen any time soon. The average
                      turnaround time for recharter paperwork is 4-5 months
                      with some units taking as much as 8 months.

                      Ned Darden
                      SM, T451
                      I used to be a Bobwhite - SR-254

                      http://mail.yahoo.com