Training Tracking Software

  • JNDunnMN@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2004
      From time to time we have had questions/discussion regarding methods of tracking training attendance, trained status of leaders, etc.

      Our district training chair pointed out to me that in the latest issue of Scouting Magazine, Troopmaster is advertising the release of their "Automated District Management System".
      Among it's features:

      -Tracks district and unit leaders, including personal data, training, special awards, leadership positions/history, and Order of the Arrow.
      -Includes a comprehensive training management capability.
      --Create training schedules with dates, locations, instructors, expected attendees, etc.
      --Credit all attendees when the training is complete. Automatically generate training completion reports for your council.
      --Group credit feature makes it easy to credit adults for a prior training class or for which there was no schedule
      --Establish training expiration periods and use on reports
      --Easily see who has/needs training and who has been scheduled

      While it's pricey (introductory price $179.95), it offers many features that may be useful to us.

      Here's a link to their web site: http://www.troopmaster.com/products/adms/adms.html

      Jamie Dunn
      Pack Trainer
      P. 512
      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
      Cub Scout Training Chair
      3 Rivers District
    • Richard Pushies
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 31, 2004
        Hello Scouters,

        For those would like to have this type of trainging information
        accurately recorded at no additional cost, know that almost all of
        the information listed for the Automated District Management System
        is also recorded in ScoutNet.

        ScoutNet is a relational database develpoded and utilized by the Boy
        Scouts of America to manage chartered units, youth members and adult
        members. Each training event has a corresponding code that is entered
        into ScoutNet to credit and idividual for completing a particular
        training event. As an example, Youth Protection Training has a
        training code of Y01 and A01 is the code for New Leader Essentials.
        The quality of the data entered into the ScoutNet system is based on
        training reports being completed after a training event and sent to
        the council. Once the training report is received then the record of
        each Scouter who attended that traininge event can be updated to
        reflect that he/she has completed the training. If training reports
        on not completed by the staff administering the training and the
        completed reports are not sent to the council office, then the
        information in ScoutNet about training will be a poor reflection of
        who has actually been trained. This is often the case.

        If the ScoutNet sytem to record leader training is allowed to work it
        works rather well. But, if the training reports are not processed
        properly then both ScoutNet and the Automated District Management
        Sytem would show a poor record of who has been trained.

        Yours Truly in Scouting,
        Rick Pushies
        Scouter

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, JNDunnMN@a... wrote:

        > From time to time we have had questions/discussion regarding
        methods of tracking training attendance, trained status of leaders,
        etc.

        > Our district training chair pointed out to me that in the latest
        issue of Scouting Magazine, Troopmaster is advertising the release of
        their "Automated District Management System".
        > Among it's features:
        >
        > -Tracks district and unit leaders, including personal data,
        training, special awards, leadership positions/history, and Order of
        the Arrow.
        > -Includes a comprehensive training management capability.
        > --Create training schedules with dates, locations, instructors,
        expected attendees, etc.
        > --Credit all attendees when the training is complete. Automatically
        generate training completion reports for your council.
        > --Group credit feature makes it easy to credit adults for a prior
        training class or for which there was no schedule
        > --Establish training expiration periods and use on reports
        > --Easily see who has/needs training and who has been scheduled
        >
        > While it's pricey (introductory price $179.95), it offers many
        features that may be useful to us.

        > Here's a link to their web site:
        http://www.troopmaster.com/products/adms/adms.html

        > --
        > YiS,
        > Jamie Dunn
        > Pack Trainer
        > P. 512
        > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
        > Cub Scout Training Chair
        > 3 Rivers District
      • David Loomis
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 31, 2004
          Whiloe all of this may be true, most of us don't have much access
          to ScoutNet, deliberately so, and ScoutNet is poor at determining who is
          trained for which positions. For teh most part it mus rely on the
          reports of the various units and people who have no clue about what it
          takes to be considered trained in the new 21st Century Scout movement.

          ScoutNet has no provisions for recording training completed
          before the 2000 traning course revisions, such as Wood Badge for the
          20th Century, and other similar courses.

          Dave

          Dave Loomis mailto: dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
          245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
          Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349

        • Richard Pushies
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 31, 2004
            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, David Loomis <dloomis@n...> wrote:
> [...]
            > > > --Establish training expiration periods and use on reports
            > > > --Easily see who has/needs training and who has been scheduled
            > > >
            > > > While it's pricey (introductory price $179.95), it offers many
            > > features that may be useful to us.
            > > >
            > > > Here's a link to their web site:
            > > http://www.troopmaster.com/products/adms/adms.html
            > > >
            > > > --
            > > > YiS,
            > > > Jamie Dunn
            > > > Pack Trainer
            > > > P. 512
            > > > Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
            > > > Cub Scout Training Chair
            > > > 3 Rivers District

            > > scouter_t-help@yahoogroups.com
            > >
            > > Scouting The Net - http://www.arkie.net/scouting/
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1296gdqi0/M=295196.4901138.6071305.300117
            6/D=groups/S=1705066162:HM/EXP=1094084455/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/

            subject=Unsubscribe>

            > --
            >
            > To reply, click on the mailto: address below.
            >
            > Dave Loomis mailto: dloomis.nh.ultranet@r...
            > 245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
            > Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349

          • Laura R Lyster
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 31, 2004
              I wanted to add that National BSA has updated their ScoutNet system so
              that the training part of their software is much more user friendly to
              the registrar or whomever is entering the training data. New reports can
              be run, training is easier to record and records are updated easier.

              In Scouting,
              Laura
            • Richard Pushies
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 31, 2004
                Hi David,

                I'm not sure what happened to my last posting, the new information I
                added did not get sent out. So I'll try again.

                I understand that normally direct access to ScoutNet is restricted to
                employees of your council. However, your unit serving Professional
                (DE) can get reports printed for you showing the training status of
                Scouters in your district. It may take him a few days to get the
                reports sent to you, but they are available.

                Your statement about training codes for training events prior to 2000
                not being available is not quite correct, they are. It took some
                digging to get them, but they do exist, and here they are:

                Code Description
                C Cub Scout Adult Training Series
                C07 Den Leader Coach Seminar
                C09 Webelos Den Leader Outdoor
                C20 Cub Scout Leader Basic Training Completed
                C30 Cub Scout Leader Pow-Wow
                C44 Cubmaster Award
                C45 Den Leader Award
                C46 Webelos Den Leader Award
                C47 Cub Scouter Award
                C48 Den Leader Coach Award
                C49 Tiger Cub Coach Award
                C90 Cub Scout Trainer Wood Badge
                CF-1 Cub Scout Den Leader Fast Start
                CF-2 Webelos Den Leader Fast Start
                CF-3 Cubmaster Fast Start
                CF-4 Pack Committee Fast Start
                CF-5 Tiger Cub Coach Fast Start
                P Venturing Adult Training Series
                P20 * Adult Venturing Leader Basic Training completed
                P40 Crew Officer's Seminar
                P41 Advisor's Key
                P91 Training Award - Venturing
                S Boy Scout Adult Leader Training Series
                S21 * Scoutmastership Fundamentals completed
                S07 * The Troop Meeting (part 1)
                S08 * Troop Organization (part 2)
                S09 * The Outdoor Program (part 3)
                S10 The Troop Committee Challenge
                S32 Troop Junior Leader Training
                S40 Scoutmaster's Key
                S41 Boy Scout Leader's Training Award
                S50 Leadership Training for leader's of 11-year old Scouts
                S90 Boy Scout Leader Wood Badge
                SFS Boy Scout Leader Fast Start completed
                V Varsity Scout Adult Training Series
                V01 * Introduction to Varsity Scouting
                V02 * Varsity Scouting Leadership
                V03 * Varsity Scout Program
                V20 * Varsity Scout Leader Fundamantals Completed
                V33 The Varsity Scout Letter
                V34 Youth Leaders in Varsity Scouting
                V40 Varsity Scout Coach's Key
                V41 Training Award - Varsity Scouting
                VFS Varsity Scout Leader Fast Start completed
                Y01 Youth Protection Training

                D District/Council Adult Training Series
                D00 Commissioner Orientation
                D20 * Commissioner Basic Training completed
                D01 * Why Commissioners?
                D02 *Units: The Commissioner's Top Priority
                D03 * How to Help a Unit
                D30 Commissioner Conference
                D31 Arrowhead Award
                D39 Commissioner's Key: Council and Assistant Council Commissioner
                D40 Commissioner's Key: District and Assistant District
                Commissioner
                D41 Commissioner's Key: Unit Commissioner
                D42 Commissioner's Key: Roundtable Commissioner
                D43 Training Award: Roundtable Staff
                D60 District Committee Key
                D61 * District Committee Training Workshop
                D70 Train The Trainer Conference
                D71 Council Officer / Board Orientation
                D73 Health and Safety Course

                And here are all the new training codes:

                Training Code Listing
                CODE DESCRIPTION
                Training for All Program Levels
                A01 New Leader Essentials
                A90 Wood Badge for the 21st Century
                Y01 Youth Protection Training

                C Cub Scout Adult Training Series
                C09 Webelos Den Leader Outdoor
                C30 Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow
                C31 Den Chief Training
                C32 Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation
                C40 Cubmaster Specific Training
                C41 Tiger Cub Den Leader Specific Training
                C42 Cub Scout Den Leader Specific Training
                C43 Tiger Cub Den Leader Award
                C44 Cubmaster Award
                C45 Cub Scout Den Leader Award
                C46 Webelos Den Leader Award
                C47 Cub Scouter Award
                C60 Pack Committee Member Specific Training
                C61 Webelos Den Leader Specific Training
                C90 Cub Scout Trainer Wood Badge
                CF-1 Cub Scout Den Leader Fast Start
                CF-2 Webelos Den Leader Fast Start
                CF-3 Cubmaster Fast Start
                CF-4 Pack Committee Fast Start
                CF-6 Tiger Cub Den Leader Fast Start

                D District/Council Adult Training Series
                D00 Commissioner Orientation
                D20 Commissioner Basic Training
                D01 Why Commissioners?
                D02 Units: The Commissioner's Top Priority
                D03 How to Help a Unit
                D10 Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner and Staff Basic Training
                D11 Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner Training
                D30 Commissioner Conference
                D31 Arrowhead Award
                D39 Commissioner's Key: Council and Assistant Council Commissioner
                D40 Commissioner's Key: District and Assistant District
                Commissioner
                D41 Commissioner's Key: Unit Commissioner
                D42 Commissioner's Key: Roundtable Commissioner
                D43 Training Award: Roundtable Staff
                D60 District Committee Key
                D61 District Committee Training Workshop
                D69 Trainer Development Conference
                D71 Council Officer/Board Orientation
                D73 Health and Safety Course

                P Venturing Adult Training Series
                P21 Venturing Leader Specific Training
                P30 Sea Scouting Leader Specialized Training
                P31 Crew Officers' Seminar
                P40 Advisor's Key
                P41 Skipper's Key
                P43 Training Award—Venturing
                P91 Sea Badge
                PFS Advisor Fast Start

                S Boy Scout Adult Training Series
                S10 The Troop Committee Challenge
                S11 Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills
                S24 Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training
                S32 Troop Junior Leader Training
                S40 Scoutmaster's Key
                S41 Boy Scout Leader's Training Award
                S50 Leadership Training for Leaders of 11-Year-Old Scouts
                SFS Boy Scout Leader Fast Start completed

                V Varsity Scout Adult Training Series
                V21 Varsity Coach Leader Specific Training
                S11 Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills
                V33 The Varsity Scout Letter
                V34 Youth Leaders in Varsity Scouting
                V40 Varsity Scout Coach's Key
                V41 Training Award—Varsity Scouting
                VFS Varsity Scout Leader Fast

                Yours Truly in Scouting,
                Rick Pushies
              • Ida Lively
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
                  > ScoutNet has no provisions for recording training completed
                  > before the 2000 traning course revisions, such as Wood Badge for the
                  > 20th Century, and other similar courses.
                  >
                  > Dave

                  This is incorrect. My council has entered information with
                  dates prior to 2000. The registrar just needs to select the
                  Correct code (i.e. Y01 or A01), AND ... If there isn't a
                  code already present, your council people can create their OWN
                  SPECIAL CODE through the "custom" area.

                  And, as for reports, it only takes a minute to call the Council
                  Office, tell the people there what you need, and they can have it
                  ready for you by the time you drive to the office.

                  I'm learning all kinds of things. ScoutNet is a great database.
                  People just need to be trained how to BETTER use it.

                  If you need to know who is trained and for what position,
                  you need to keep better records at your end, or your district
                  training chair needs to. I can go back through my paper records
                  and look for a name. It makes it easier if/when a Scouter knows
                  an approximate date of when they took the training.

                  Ida Lively
                  - Nittany District Training Chair
                  - Training Team Liaison, Juniata Valley Council
                • Fred Goodwin, CMA
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
                    > Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 00:04:15 -0000
                    > From: "Richard Pushies" <rpushies@...>
                    >
                    > For those would like to have this type of trainging information
                    > accurately recorded at no additional cost, know that almost all
                    > of the information listed for the Automated District Management
                    > System is also recorded in ScoutNet.

                    Richard, as a unit, we use "Scoutmate" and we updated our leader
                    training records at recharter; but I've since been told that that
                    information isn't uploaded to ScoutNet at recharter.

                    Is this a national policy, or this something our local council is
                    doing? We took a lot of time last year inventorying our leaders
                    about their training, but I don't want to waste my time and theirs
                    again this year at recharter if the information is ignored.

                    Thanx,

                    Fred Goodwin
                    ACM, Pack 2003
                    Alamo Area Council
                  • Judy Yeager
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
                      Ida said, "And, as for reports, it only takes a minute to call the Council
                      Office, tell the people there what you need, and they can have it ready for
                      you by the time you drive to the office."

                      This may be how it works in your Council, but I don't think you would have
                      any luck calling our Council office and asking for reports! Not only is our
                      Council office grossly understaffed, we have had LOADS of problems with
                      ScoutNet. Even if you could call, drive over and pick up forms, at the
                      present time they really aren't very reliable.

                      Here's hoping that your mileage DOES vary!

                      Judy Yeager
                      Heart of America Council
                    • Ned Darden
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 1, 2004
                        --- Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:

                        > This may be how it works in your Council, but I
                        > don't think you would have
                        > any luck calling our Council office and asking for
                        > reports!

                        I'll second that for our council (Gulf Coast -
                        Florida). I know for a fact that few if any training
                        information has been input to ScoutNet for our
                        council. The registrar says she doesn't have time to
                        do that with the crush of recharter info to input. I
                        submitted my recharter info on disk and it still takes
                        2-3 months to get the paperwork and member cards back.

                        At the last recharter, I also submitted advancement
                        info for all the Scouts I rechartered beginning from
                        the day they joined the troop. I watched this info
                        being loaded into ScoutNet and was informed that this
                        was the first time she had been able to upload this
                        info. As far as I know, there is only one other troop
                        in the council that has advancement info loaded on
                        ScoutNet.

                        I've suggested that the council require use of
                        electronic media to recharter but the Luddites are in
                        charge so it won't happen any time soon. The average
                        turnaround time for recharter paperwork is 4-5 months
                        with some units taking as much as 8 months.

                        Ned Darden
                        SM, T451
                        I used to be a Bobwhite - SR-254

                        http://mail.yahoo.com