Philmont "Duty to God" program

  • Fred Goodwin, CMA
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 21 9:33 PM
      Last year Philmont Scout Ranch offered a new "Duty to God" program
      to youth on backcountry treks; if a crew appointed a chaplain aide,
      and fulfilled certain requirements, each youth member could qualify
      for a special "Duty to God" patch. These patches cannot be
      purchased except by the crew chaplain aide, and only upon
      presentation of a completed checklist of the requirements.

      This year, Philmont has expanded its "Duty to God" program so that
      adult leaders and their families attending the Training Center can
      also qualify for the "Duty to God" patch by completing certain
      requirements (appointing a family chaplain aide, reading and
      discussing two daily devotionals, attending at least one camp
      religious service, and meeting with a camp chaplain to learn about
      his or her duties at Philmont).

      This is a wonderful program; if you go to PTC next year, please
      consider it.

      Fred Goodwin
    • Ida Lively
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 24 12:15 PM
        I had the opportunity to be at PTC the same week as Fred. As luck would have it, we were
        in the same class, and even put in the same work group.

        My family earned the Duty to God patch, and have brought the information back to our
        Troop. It's a neat little program.

        AND, it doesn't take much to do your Duty to God -- remember grace at meals, thank your
        respective maker everytime you see the wonders of the world. If you have a dollar store
        near you, you can probably pick up an inexpensive bible to put in each patrols chuck box
        [our Troop did].

        Hey ... you ... get FIRED UP ABOUT TRAINING!

        Ida