University of Scouting

  • doublelope
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 20, 2004
      Judy: We have also changed to University of Scouting. Our 4th one
      is coming up Saturday, January 22, 2005. We are also outside your
      300 mile limit, as it's 380 miles just from Knoxville, TN to Memphis,
      TN. The big reason we switched to University of Scouting was so that
      we could have inter-action between the various programs. We do offer
      Venturing Training, and also New Leader Essentials and Youth
      Protection. We have 4 colleges, General Knowledge, Cub Scout, Boy
      Scout, and Venturing. We don't offer a degree program, as we did not
      want this real structured. We liked the idea of people coming to
      take what they wanted to take. We have Scouters who will take one or
      two classes in the Boy Scout program, several more in the Cub
      program, and then a class or two from the General Knowledge. The
      General Knowledge sessions are classes that would appeal to all
      programs, such as cooking, storytelling, flags.
      Hope this helps.
      Linda Goff
      University of Scouting President
      Council Cub Scout Training Chairman
      Great Smoky Mountain Council
      Knoxville, TN
    • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E]
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 14, 2005
        Here is an ad for my council's U Of Scouting.

        Pete M.

        Patriots' Path Council University of Scouting<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns =

        Saturday, October 29, 2005
        Randolph Middle School, 500 Millbrook Avenue, Randolph, NJ
        Check-in at 8:00 AM. Opening at 8:30 AM.
        Classes start at 9:00 AM. Closing ceremony at 3:20.

        Here is a link to the registration forms on the council web site, in both
        PDF and Word format.

        http://ppbsa.org/tra/trawb07.htm
        <http://ppbsa.org/tra/trawb07.htm>

        If you register by September 10, you can save with an Early Bird discount
        coupon. Your unit should already have them, or they are available at
        Council Trading Posts and District Roundtables.

        We look forward to seeing you there!
        Bruce Black
        Dean of Students, University of Scouting
        Mary Ruth Lareau

        Chancellor, University of Scouting

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 30, 2005
          I am teaching a class this month at our University of Scouting,
          and would like some input from all of the dedicated trainers out
          there. The subject is WEBELOS to Scouts Transition. I have the video
          supplied by National, and three very good Powerpoint Presentations,
          each based on time constraints. But what I would like to know is
          what you would like to have presented, what you think would be the
          information that you would like to recieve.
          I plan to present the video at this time, and have several
          handouts that I plan to go over. I have prepared listings of the
          Troops, Scoutmasters, and the sponsoring orginization, broken down
          by District, to give to the WEBELOS Den Leaders. I also have some
          questionaires for the WDL's to give to the boys, that prompt them
          and their parents to think of questions to ask of themselves, when
          looking at Troops to join. Handouts as to whom is responsible for
          what to take place for a successful transition to occur. Checklists
          that the WDL's can fill out and turn into the districts, so that we
          can arrange for the Troop sand Packs to talk to one another.
          Is there anything that I have obviously over looked? Any thing
          that you think that I should include to help this important event in
          the WEBELOS transition occur.

          Please reply either here or off line at rdewitt10@...
          Thanke,
          Robert L. DeWitt
          ASM Troop 12
          Chickasaw District
          Georgia Carolina Council
          Augusta, Ga
          I used to be a good Ole Bear SR-691
        • Sandra Martens
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 30, 2005
            if you can encourage regular parents to attend it would be good to do a session on the differences between cub scouting and boy scouting. many parents don't know this, go to the troop meetings, find them disorganized (in their terms, not the troops), and stop bringing their sons.

            when I was with a troop I held a "parents class" just to get the parents on the right page.

            if not in your session- there just wouldn't be time- that would be a great session to have.

            Sandy OWL

            Robert <rdewitt10@...> wrote:
[...]

            Training programs Training program development Training program for restaurant Fitness training program Gsi outdoors Scouting camera

          • Thomas Burke
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 30, 2005
              My thoughts, again more to the point of the parents of boys ready to
              transition, is what to look for in a troop: is the patrol method truely
              functioning, is it boy led or with a 42 y/o SPL, what does the troop
              calendar look like, what special activities have they done in the past and
              what are they planning, what does the first year look like for a new scout,
              what sort of equipment does it have (and how old), what does the troop do
              for fund raising, Summer Camp, what will the parent be expected to do?

              these are just a few of my thoughts,

              Tom Burke
            • Teresa P Hall
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 30, 2005
                You've already gotten some great ideas. One thing we emphasize to our
                Webelos leaders AND our troop leadership is that boys are not obligated
                to join any specific troop, and that Webelos leaders should have many
                options available for their Scouts. Web leaders may not really
                understand how very different troops might be, and need to be prepared
                to emphasize to their boys that if they don't like the first troop they
                visit, it doesn't mean they won't like ANY troop they visit! Troops in
                our area vary dramatically in cost, in types of trips taken, in
                fundraising, in how well they integrate parents, in whether the Scouts
                come from one or several schools (or school systems), in attitude of
                older Scouts to younger, in whether patrols are same-age or multi-age,
                and what that means..... and all this can make a difference in fit for a
                boy and his family. It may be as much as the boy has a continuous
                commitment on the night the troop next door meets but will always be
                free when the troop two miles away is scheduled.

                Hope you have a great session!

                Teresa Hall

                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 1, 2005
                  Hi,
                  We have a "disappearing packet" that is available for leaders that is full of info that tells who does what and what the timeline is supposed to be. I believe I can snail mail it to you. When do you need it??

                  I am teaching a class this month at our University of Scouting,
                  and would like some input from all of the dedicated trainers out
                  there. The subject is WEBELOS to Scouts Transition.

                  connie

                • Robert L. DeWitt
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 1, 2005
                    The Uos is on the 12th of November, this year. If you think you can get it
                    here I would be grateful. the address is as follows

                    Robert L. Dewitt
                    2323 Travis Road
                    Augusta, Ga 30906

                    Thanks, Robert

                    _____

                    We have a "disappearing packet" that is available for leaders that is full
                    of info that tells who does what and what the timeline is supposed to be. I
                    believe I can snail mail it to you. When do you need it??

                    I am teaching a class this month at our University of Scouting,
                    and would like some input from all of the dedicated trainers out
                    there. The subject is WEBELOS to Scouts Transition.

                    connie

                    _____

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                    * Visit your group "scouter_t
                    <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scouter_t> " on the web.

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                    _____

                      We have a "disappearing packet" that is available for leaders that is full
                      of info that tells who does what and what the timeline is supposed to be. I
                      believe I can snail mail it to you. When do you need it??

                      I am teaching a class this month at our University of Scouting,
                      and would like some input from all of the dedicated trainers out
                      there. The subject is WEBELOS to Scouts Transition.

                      connie

                      _____

                      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                      * Visit your group "scouter_t
                      " on the web.

                      .

                      _____

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      connie

                    • Judy Yeager
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 31, 2006
                        Heart of America Council's 2006 University of Scouting will be held on Saturday, November 4, 2006. This event is an outgrowth of Pow Wow and will include all the usual features of Pow Wow plus classes and activities for Boy Scout and Venturing Leaders.

                        We are offering our usual Pow Wow Book which we have renamed the Cub Scout Resource Book plus a resource book for Boy Scout/Venturing Leaders.

                        If you are in the vicinity of Kansas City the first Saturday in November, come join us. If you can't attend, you can order books (which are available in paper or CD format) if you would like.

                        You can access complete information at

                        www.hoac-bsa.org

                        On the main page click on University of Scouting.

                        Hope we can see all of you in November.

                        Judy Yeager
                        HOAC

                      • Dan Hammond, Sr.
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 1, 2006
                          "Judy Yeager" kcjscout@... posted in part:

                          "Heart of America Council's 2006 University of
                          Scouting will be held on Saturday, November 4, 2006.
                          This event is an outgrowth of Pow Wow and will include
                          all the usual features of Pow Wow plus classes and
                          activities for Boy Scout and Venturing Leaders."<snip>

                          Continued; "Hope we can see all of you in November."
                          Judy Yeager
                          HOAC

                          Judy, et al, I hope to be there!

                          Daniel D. Hammond, Sr. MA(HRD)
                          Leavenworth, KS, Army Major(Ret), Overtrained Scout Leader,
                          Kaw District Training Chairman,
                          CM P3001, SA T366, NRA Life Member
                          |<--W-W-W--<<<| Mic-O-Say HW "Big Quick Steel"
                          I Used to be an Owl... (W-CS-44)
                          And a good old staffer too (C-34-04) (C-38-06)

                          Cheerful Service; because it's the right thing to do

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                        • Judy Yeager
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                            I am curious about a couple of things:

                            * How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
                            Scouting and can you share an example?
                            * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
                            Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?

                            Thanks for your input.

                            Judy Yeager

                          • Lisa
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                              This is my 12th year. We've never had a UoS, and I think the last Council Pow Wow was at least 3 years ago. = (

                              Lisa
                              Sent from my iPod

                              On May 17, 2011, at 4:53 PM, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:

                              > I am curious about a couple of things:
                              >
                              > * How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
                              > Scouting and can you share an example?
                              > * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
                              > Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?
                              >
                              > Thanks for your input.
                              >
                              > Judy Yeager

                            • Sandra Martens
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                                we held our first UofS this year.  it had no theme, and was a very low budget event.  We offered 20 cub scout courses over 4 hours in the morning, and 20 boy scout courses over 4 hours in the afternoon.
                                no patch, cost $5.

                                we have not been able to have a successful Pow Wow in many years, stopped doing them in 2002.  this was an option we felt was viable.

                                Sandy OWL

                                Message 15 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                                  Our University of Scouting uses the theme for the following years Cub Scout
                                  Summer Camps theme.

                                  This past year we had a Western theme because that is what we are using for
                                  a theme this summer with our Cub camps.

                                  We haven't had Pow Wow in many years.

                                  Cheryl Ostrander

                                  _____

                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                                    Sam Houston Area holds a University of Scouting and Cub Leader Pow Wow
                                    annually.  Each has a theme with is used mostly for promotion, including a
                                    patch.  The course offering for the most part aren't theme centric.

                                    ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                                      <<* How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
                                      Scouting and can you share an example?
                                      * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
                                      Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?>>

                                      We hold two semesters of the University of Scouting in fall and spring. There is a General College, a Cub Scout College, a Boy Scout College, a Venturing/Sea Scouting College. Sometimes the College of Commissioner Science is included. This year for the first time there was a Varsity College There is also the Doctoral Studies section. We had over 700 people attend 120 different courses at our spring semester.

                                      The Cub Scout College is also known as Pow Wow.

                                      The packet is still online: http://training.nsbsa.org/uploadedFiles/file/UofS/UofS%20full%20catalog%203_14_11.pdf

                                      This spring's theme was "Scouting Safari" - pith helmets and vests were the order of the day. Last spring was Scouting Science - lab coats, test tubes, etc.

                                      Jamie Niss Dunn
                                      Pack Trainer, Pack 512
                                      Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                                      Troop Committee, Troop 509
                                      Ham Lake, MN
                                      Secretary, Crew 849
                                      Coon Rapids, MN
                                      Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                                      Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                                      Three Rivers District

                                    • pjolds
                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                                        We held our last Pow Wow in 2005 and were lucky to have 81 people attend. Registration had been even lower the year before. In an attempt to boost attendance, we switched over to University of Scouting in 2006. The strategy worked and with last year's U of S, we had an attendance of about 300.

                                        We do choose a theme, usually matching it to something that is happening either with our local council or with National's annual brand identity (i.e "Prepared. For Life"). The event patch, opening ceremony, etc are all designed to fit in with that theme.

                                        Paula Ball
                                        University of Scouting Chairman
                                        Erie Shores Council

                                        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:

                                        > I am curious about a couple of things:
                                        >
                                        > * How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
                                        > Scouting and can you share an example?
                                        > * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
                                        > Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?
                                        >
                                        > Thanks for your input.
                                        >
                                        > Judy Yeager

                                      • Corinna Jones
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                                          We have an annual UoS without a separate Powwow. It is well received, but
                                          still, there are many familiar faces. It has been around as long as I have
                                          become active, so for at least 8 years.
                                          The Commissioner College is a completely separate event.
                                          There is no special theme.

                                          This year it has been moved from the first Scouting for Food weekend (bag
                                          pass-out) in November to January, to see if that timing allows for more
                                          participants and a smoother Scouting for Food process.

                                          Corinna
                                          Great Lakes Council

                                          > * How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
                                          > Scouting and can you share an example?
                                          > * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
                                          > Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?
                                          >
                                          > Thanks for your input.
                                          >
                                          > Judy Yeager

                                        • A. Dukovic
                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                                            All, Central Region has Lord Baden-Powell University of Scouting has theirs yearly on the Illinois Wisconsin state line in Camp Lake Wisconsin; go to www.lbpuniv.org for more info.

                                            Our Council does a "training day" which we're in the process of moving to each district for a better turn out.  We also sponsor a day-long computer based on-line training day as well.

                                            - Art

                                          • bljohnson95901@comcast.net
                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 17, 2011
                                              Golden Empire Council had been doing Pow Wow only up until 5 years ago. I think we were averaging around 150 attendance. We switched to UoS that included Pow Wow and have been bringing in around 600 including staff. No theme. Price is around $20 and includes a patch and catered lunch (sandwich, chips, water and flavor packets for water if you want one.) The first two years we tried farming out the lunch to units as fundraisers with almost disastrous results. This year there was no late registration at the door. I'm not sure how that worked out. Pre-registration on line is required and the classes are closed when they reach capacity. I didn't attend this year, but in previous years they have had vendors and various scout groups with displays at lunch. (Camp promotions, NYLT, WB, retail vendors and scout shop, outdoor groups, etc). It's been held the 3rd Saturday in January at a centrally located high school.

                                              Bruce Johnson

                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 18, 2011
                                                Judy,
                                                The Cherokee Area Council in Chattanooga doesn't have themes for University
                                                of Scouting. The last time we had a Pow Wow was when I was first getting
                                                involved in Scouting as an adult ten or so years ago and was too green to
                                                know what it was. :-)

                                                Robert

                                                On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:

                                                > I am curious about a couple of things:
                                                >
                                                > * How many Councils choose a theme for their yearly University of
                                                > Scouting and can you share an example?
                                                > * How many Councils hold both a yearly University of Scouitng and a
                                                > Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow?
                                                >
                                                > Thanks for your input.
                                                >
                                                > Judy Yeager

                                              • jomarshall57
                                                Message 23 of 24 , May 18, 2011
                                                  For those of you who are interested in learning more about staging a
                                                  successful University of Scouting, Philmont is offering a course this
                                                  summer. It covers everthing from logistics to themes to marketing to
                                                  record-keeping to classes to recruiting and managing staff and faculty.
                                                  Participants will return home with a completely customized plan of
                                                  action and timeline.

                                                  The course is in workshop format, which means you'll learn from each
                                                  other as well as from the instructors. The ideas just explode.

                                                  The session was offered for the first time last summer, and, as far as I
                                                  know, is the only course teaching event preparation for UOS in the
                                                  country. If you'd like to learn how to put on a successful event, come
                                                  see us. If you'd like to help others develop their own event, come see
                                                  us. If you know someone who could benefit from such a course, please
                                                  pass the word on.

                                                  Of course, any Philmont session also offers a terrific family vacation
                                                  in the heart of the New Mexico mountains. Life doesn't get much better.

                                                  Course Title: Planning and Conducting a University of Scouting
                                                  Offered: Week 10, August 7-13, 2011
                                                  Sign up at www.myscouting.org <http://www.myscouting.org/> , and
                                                  register under the Event Registration tab.

                                                  For more information, and for more classes, go to
                                                  www.philmonttrainingcenter.org <http://www.philmonttrainingcenter.org/>
                                                  .

                                                  We'd love to see you there!
                                                  Jo Marshall,
                                                  Instructor

                                                • Judy Yeager
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Oct 10, 2011
                                                    If any of you are planning to be in the heart of the USA on Saturday,
                                                    November 5, 2011, you might consider dropping by the Heart of America
                                                    Council University of Scouting. Complete information can be found at

                                                    http://www.hoac-bsa.org/Programs/Training/AdultLeaders/SupplementalTraining/UniversityofScouting.aspx

                                                    Would love to see you there. You might even win a door prize - we give
                                                    away stuff all day long.

                                                    Judy Yeager
                                                    HOAC Training Chair