Eagle mentor pin

  • wahowland@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2004
      In a message dated 7/16/04 6:04:35 AM, scouter_t@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > Just a thought.  Perhaps a step-parent that would not be receiving one of
      > the official
      > parent pins would be a good candidate to receive this pin.
      >
      > I think this would be especially important in today's society of blended
      > families.

      I don't, especially if the stepparent had little or nothing to do with the
      achievement. Of course, if s/he was a big support, this would be a nice touch.
      But I wouldn't make it an automatic.

      FWIW, my husband has three "dad" pins, one each from his two boys from his
      first marriage, and one from the the one he got as a Tiger Cub when he married
      me. The boy;s father also showed up for the ceremony and got one, but guess
      which one is worn with pride whenever possible and which is lost already.

      (Lest you think I am being petty about the stepparent for personal reasons, I
      hasten to add that I am very fond of my ex's wife-- Of course, I feel sorry
      for her that she married him, but she is a wonderful woman. She just didn't
      have anything to do with the boy's Scouting career, since they live on the other
      side of the continent. She wasn't the least bit offended not to receive a
      mom's pin.)

      YiS
      AB