Re: [Scouter_T] Digest Number 850

  • Kris Swank
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2004
      1) Where do you hold your training sessions

      Local Churches or Scout Huts. I try to spread out the training geographically in the District. There are about 75 miles (North/South) from one end of the District to the other.
      2) What do they charge you for building use
      Never been charged, the Churches we have used are Charter Orgs or arranged by Members of the Church and a Scouting Unit.
      3) How often do you hold each of the following training sessions
      New Leader Essentials
      6Xs a Year in my District and most other Districts in my Council are about the same. I will go to a Unit if they have enough participants to make it worth the trip 60 miles and 1.5 hours each way
      Youth Protection
      6 Xs a Year, at Cub training and at RT. Availability on-line has cut the need.
      Cub Scout Leader Specific Training
      3 Xs a Year and also by request or for a new Unit
      Troop Committee Challenge
      2 Xs a Year
      Chartered Organizational Representative Training
      Not Currently
      Den Chief Training
      1 X a year at PowWow (Council Level) Tried at the District Level and got only 2 boys. When I was a Day Camp Director I ran a mini Den Chief TRaining for Youth Staff working at Camp.
      SM/ASM Specific
      2Xs a year Once on 2 consecutive Thursdays and once on a Saturday at District event
      IOLS & OWL
      2Xs a year Combined, Once Friday to Saturday and once Saturday to Sunday (At a District Event).
      BALOO
      1x a year, 2 if interest warrents it
      4) How often (if ever) do you hold group-requested training
      Depends on the situation and numbers. I drove 145 miles roundtrip for NLE for 19 adults in one large Troop, Safe Swim/Safety Afloat for a Troop (youth and Adult)with 32 folks and once for Venturing YPT for a group of 2 (That was a special situation) It all depends on what and why. I find the problem is that many adults do not plan ahead. They find they need training 3 days before an event or before leaving for Camp and expect me to drop everything and rescue them. And no one wants to come to me, they expect me to drive to them.