Re: Scoutnet

  • Ida Lively
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2004
      > We have a rather large council with 13 districts and were told in January if
      > we would supply the records, council would update. Now we have come to the
      > realization that the council does not have the time or manpower to undertake
      > this daunting task and is asking the members of the training committee to find
      > volunteers to do this data entry, while at the same time throwing up
      > obstacles; i.e., the data entry has to be done between 8 am and 5 pm M-F.
      >
      > Our professional advisor tells us that per ProSpeak, there are a few Councils
      > in the US who seem to have accomplished this task.
      >
      > So, my question to you is: Has your council been able to update training
      > records in Scoutnet? If so, do you have any tips for us that would help us
      > facilitate this process so we don't have to re-invent the wheel?
      >
      > Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

      Judy,

      While I'm from a much smaller council (one of the smallest in the BSA), I
      feel that we're ahead of the board on this one. We don't keep separate
      district records. Everything is done out at the Council Office.

      Here's what we've done. With each rechartering, we've asked the UC's to go
      through the trained status of each person on the charter. For each person,
      they have been listing the training that person has taken. If they keep
      their training recognition cards, that's great; otherwise, A SCOUT IS
      HONEST. If the Scouter can remember the approximate year/month that they
      took training, they write it down. These records are submitted with the
      charters, and if the gals at the office have time, they enter the records.

      Otherwise (here is where it can benefit you) our Training Committee
      appointed a liaison (with Executive Committee approval) to the Council
      Office in order to update the training records. The office created a
      "guest" account with access to the training section of ScoutNet (and ONLY
      the training section). The liaison was trained, and now after any scout
      event, they can go in and verify that the records have been updated. Along
      with that, they're catching up the records with the "charter training
      changes".

      How do I know? Take a wild guess! ;-)

      Ida
      aka "Nimblefingers"

      --

      Ida Lively
      - Juniata Valley Council, Nittany Mountain District Training Chair

      "Train them up in the way they should go..."
    • Ida Lively
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 22, 2004
        > FWIW, since it has been several years since the previous format was
        > offered, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea for the previously "Trained"
        > individual(s) to go through the current program. They might learn
        > something new; or they might be recruited to help train others.

        I don't know about YOUR system, but our system was 'flushed' around 2001.
        EVERYONE became untrained. Simple as that.

        Those that have taken the subsequent trainings, are now trained. Those
        SM/ASM (generally them, because they don't often change positions), that did
        not go to training since then, are still listed as "untrained."

        I have Wood Badge STAFF listed as 'untrained' leaders. [To be on staff, you
        need to have completed WB, to have completed WB, you need to be trained for
        your position, etc.]

        What we did, your mileage may vary, was to have every UNIT, at recharter
        time, check the trained status on their charter. If it was incorrect, we
        asked them to supply an APPROXIMATE DATE (April 1999) of when they completed
        the training. A SCOUT IS HONEST.

        We asked for it IN WRITING, so that we had a written record to which to
        refer. We did not (and do not) accept 'over the phone' information.

        Our next step -- our Unit Commissioners -- with each charter, ask the unit
        to complete a Unit Inventory of Training. These have proven more effective
        than just writing it on the charter.

        Third -- I've been going through the BACK RECORDS of training, and entering
        what's in the system. I've gotten to know our archives and archive system.
        I'm learning the ScoutNet training codes.

        Do we still have holes? Yes. Are there always going to be people who say
        'they know I'm trained, no matter what the computer says'? YES. But, is it
        better than it had been -- !!!!!! Y - E - S !!!!!!

        Cheers!
        Ida
      • DAScouter
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 22, 2004
          How do you access Scoutnet? I'd love to be able to access both my pack's
          training records. It would save me tons of time and headaches.
          I have DotNet with Packmaster, when I do achievments I know it access's
          Scoutnet but how do I do it myself?

          DA
        • David K Higginson
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 22, 2004
            Individuals cannot access Scoutnet. It is a propietary program of BSA and
            is availaible to Scout Executives and the Council Offices only.

            David K Higginson
            Roosevelt UT

            >From: "DAScouter" <DAScouter@...>
            >To: <scouter_t@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Scoutnet
            >Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:44:21 -0400
            >
            >How do you access Scoutnet? I'd love to be able to access both my pack's
            >training records. It would save me tons of time and headaches.
            >I have DotNet with Packmaster, when I do achievments I know it access's
            >Scoutnet but how do I do it myself?
            >
            >DA

          • David Loomis
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 23, 2004
              As Dave Higginson noted, you can't access ScoutNet as a private
              individual, but if you have a need for specific information usually your
              DE or the council's registrar can get you an Excel dump of the data you
              need, which can be imported into any recognised database management
              program. i.e. dBase, Access, FoxPro, or Excel, if you can work witrh a
              flat-file database.

              DAScouter wrote:

              > How do you access Scoutnet? I'd love to be able to access both my pack's
              > training records. It would save me tons of time and headaches.
              > I have DotNet with Packmaster, when I do achievments I know it access's
              > Scoutnet but how do I do it myself?
              >
              > DA

              Dave Loomis mailto: dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
              245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
              Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
            • Ilively@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 24, 2008
                Scoutnet is only as good as the data put into it. It's the same as with any database ... garbage in, garbage out.

                When the absolute switch to Scoutnet was happening, *my council* (read: YOUR council might not be the same) went through and updated records for those that they had on hand -- back 1 or 2 years, thinking that they were the 'current' leaders. (I know, because *I* verified their entry.)

                Does anyone else see a 'flaw' in this? It doesn't cover the 'dinosaur' leaders (the ones who have been trained since the beginning of time), who took the 'legacy' courses. My Troop's SM took his training, and even WB, "back in the day", but is listed in the system as "untrained."

                Oh, forgot to mention ... that 2 year entry ... that's PROVIDING that the council office had all of the Training Attendance Report sheets for that time period -- which they did not, because there were some Course Directors who were not so vigilant with their record keeping -- and the Council Training Chair allowed them to be sloppy.

                But, we here on this list are not that sloppy. We are vigilant. We turn in our training reports within DAYS of the completion of the course. We make sure that the training chairs in our other districts get copies of the reports -- especially when one of 'their' scouters attend. And, even better, we send copies to other COUNCILS when we have out of council people attending our course. STOP LAUGHING!!!! OF COURSE WE DO!!! Okay. We're human. When we forget to send a report ... well, that's why we give them TRAINED CARDS!!!!

                Ida
                - former Nittany Mountain District Training Chair, Juniata Valley Council