Updating Scoutnet

  • Judy Yeager
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10, 2004
      At our Council Training Meeting this evening, we discussed the need to update the training records in Scoutnet.

      As many of you may know, when Scoutnet came on line, most of the training records in the old system didn't make the transfer. Rebuilding these records was further hampered by a glitch in Scoutnet that made it difficult to retain records once entered. We have been assured that this glitch has been fixed and it is time to get these training records in order.

      Each of our districts maintain their own records, but the only "official" training record that exists is Scoutnet (Heaven help us all!!!)

      We have a rather large council with 13 districts and were told in January if we would supply the records, council would update. Now we have come to the realization that the council does not have the time or manpower to undertake this daunting task and is asking the members of the training committee to find volunteers to do this data entry, while at the same time throwing up obstacles; i.e., the data entry has to be done between 8 am and 5 pm M-F.

      Our professional advisor tells us that per ProSpeak, there are a few Councils in the US who seem to have accomplished this task.

      So, my question to you is: Has your council been able to update training records in Scoutnet? If so, do you have any tips for us that would help us facilitate this process so we don't have to re-invent the wheel?

      Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

      Judy Yeager
      Heart of America Council

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 11, 2004
        Judy et al,
        We may be one of those "few Councils" you speak of. About a year ago we
        started an initiative to capture all training records into ScoutNet,
        especially district records. The primary focus of this effort is
        "basic" training and as far back as districts want to go. Our council
        has been regularly capturing council-level advanced training like Wood
        Badge and TDC. The hope was to eventually "mine" this data for useful
        analysis and to gage how well districts were doing toward their goal of
        "100% trained leaders". I must say that we are still working toward
        that end and the results so far are mixed, not because of the
        methodology, but primarily because of district participation. We too
        are a fairly large council serving seven counties with 15 districts.
        And participation is not even close to 100%.

        This effort started with some frank discussions of what exactly we
        wanted to accomplish and what steps this "vision" would need to reach
        it's goal. The first step was to create a digital version of the
        3-part carbonless "Training Attendance Report" form (#34413). This has
        made it easier for training chairs, especially in outlying districts,
        to submit records over the internet (e-mail) or by fax. Our version(s)
        of this form is on our training website on the "Resources" page (under
        Forms) if you would like a copy:
        http://training.cfcbsa.org/training_resources.html
        We have posted both Word® and PDF versions of this form so that it may
        be filled out electronically, or by hand, for submission.

        Next, we worked out an arrangement with the council to provide the
        manpower necessary to accomplish this data entry task on an ongoing
        basis. Our council too did (does) not have the staff available to input
        all this data. We asked each district to find one or two volunteers who
        would be willing to donate some time to be "trained" on ScoutNet (about
        30 min.) to input data. These are, for the most part, volunteers who
        often help out in their districts in administrative roles or retired
        Scouters who have the time to dedicate a day or so a month to this
        task. Most are from close in districts and we have about a dozen people
        who volunteer to do this work. Once trained, it only takes about a
        minute or so to record each entry.

        We also worked out a procedure for for handling the data when it was
        submitted. Direct submittal into ScoutNet was not in the cards for a
        number of reasons, mostly concerning security. This also included no
        remote access. So we did it the old fashion way. Whether submitted
        electronically, by mail, or by fax, all submittals are printed out and
        put in an "inbox" in the program services office and a couple of times
        a month a volunteers are asked to come in and input the data manually.
        Our records are never more than about 3-4 weeks behind current.

        The next phase (the one we are in now) is to get all the district
        training chairs and course directors to submit this data on a regular
        basis. This is the real challenge. As you probably experience
        yourselves, about one-third of our districts do a really great job of
        both training and record keeping. About one-third do an OK, if
        sometimes spotty, job and about one-third do little or no submittals.
        So we are regularly re-emphasizing the importance of both. It is our
        hope to put together some useful reports for our "program kickoff"
        council training committee meeting this August. This will take the form
        of (%) trained in each district by program, who has (has not) basic
        training, and who has completed YPT. We have been passing on to all
        training chairs reports on those completing YPT on the national website
        on a quarterly basis for about a year now.

        As a parallel effort, we also revamped our training website pages and
        added a number of training resources available to trainers and
        volunteers alike. This has made the distribution of training resources
        much, much easier and is becoming a great resource in our council.

        I could go into a lot more detail, but would probably bore most on this
        list. Please contact me directly if you have specific questions. I hope
        this helps and provides the insight you were looking for.
        Yours in Scouting,

        ----------

        Jim Ball
        Council Training Chairman
        Central Florida Council (Orlando)

        On Jun 11, 2004, at 1:03 AM, Judy Yeager wrote:

        > At our Council Training Meeting this evening, we discussed the need to
        > update the training records in Scoutnet.
        >
        > Our professional advisor tells us that per ProSpeak, there are a few
        > Councils in the US who seem to have accomplished this task.
        >
        > So, my question to you is: Has your council been able to update
        > training records in Scoutnet? If so, do you have any tips for us that
        > would help us facilitate this process so we don't have to re-invent
        > the wheel?
        >
        > Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Judy Yeager
        > Heart of America Council

      • Barbara Karweik
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 11, 2004
          Our Council also has abysmal training records with Scoutnet. I personally
          updated our District records about 4 years ago and it took me about 5 days
          to input the training and after it was done, it still didn't get transferred
          to all the places I'd like to get the information from-i.e. unit charters
          and training reports.

          I have just accepted the position of Council Training Chair and I am told
          that Scoutnet has been refined and is much more responsive to putting in
          data and getting that same data printed out. Currently our Council has a
          group of volunteers who are putting in advancement records (in the past only
          the records for Eagle candidates made it into Scoutnet). They report fairly
          good success as the advancement records are closer to being correct when
          printed.

          I will be starting to put training records into Scoutnet this summer. I keep
          all of my District training records so those are the ones that I'll put into
          the system. Hopefully then, I can train each District trainer to put thier
          records into the system. After all the records are loaded, we can start to
          put training records into the system as they are done.

          One difficulty with Scoutnet is that people are in the system with the name
          in which they registered so if you have a leader on a Training signin as
          Chip____ he may not be listed that way in Scout net. Also, if a leader's
          registration has not been completed correctly or they haven't registered,
          you can't put their training into the system. Scout net is FAR from being
          perfect or even easy to work with.

          Barb Karweik
          Buckeye District Training Chair (retired)
          Council Training Chair
          Simon Kenton Council
          Columbus OH