Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Training

  • Judy Yeager
    Message 1 of 29 , Jun 10, 2004
      1) Where do you hold your training sessions

      We use local churches, city parks for BALOO, a private troop-owned scout
      camp for OLS and a church related retreat area for WLOE.

      2) What do they charge you for building use

      All are free except the retreat area for WLOE. They charge $25/night for a
      shelter and $2.00 per person for camping. We usually set out a can and ask
      for donations and get much more than that.

      3) How often do you hold each of the following training sessions
      New Leader Essentials - 4X/year
      Youth Protection - 7X/year
      Cub Scout Leader Specific Training - 2X/year
      Troop Committee Challenge - 2X/year
      Chartered Organizational Representative Training - was not the
      training team responsibility until just recently - haven't scheduled yet
      Den Chief Training - 1X/year Council, 1X/year district

      4) How often (if ever) do you hold group-requested training - Have not done
      that yet

      Judy Yeager
      HOAC - Northern Tier District
    • Ida Lively
      Message 2 of 29 , Jun 11, 2004
        > During Advance-o-Rama we try to offer a full day of adult training
        > opportunities. In addition to the above we offer Safe Swim, Safety
        > Afloat, Health and Safety, CPR, and others based on Trainer
        > availability. I offer SSD at the June RT as part of the RT offering
        > itself (not a break-out) for Cub Scout RT. This year the BSRT decided to
        > join us.

        This sounds like our Advancement Day. I've been *trying* to get in on this
        training, but haven't been successful. Because our AD is held in February,
        most (if not ALL) of the buildings at camp are in use. Several Troops that
        rent cabins for the weekend, are warned that their cabin WILL be used as a
        training site, so they must have everything neat and tidy when they leave
        for AD after breakfast.

        We do have the other courses, which are offered twice a year at council
        level: BALOO, OWL, IOLS

        We do Cub College (Pow Wow) once a year, and TDC/TTT once a year.

        Wood Badge is held at "Cluster" level (Several clusters in a region, I
        think) every year. It's coming to my council next year, and I'm already on
        the waiting list.

        --

        Ida Lively
        - Juniata Valley Council, Nittany Mountain District Training Chair

        "Train them up in the way they should go..."
      • Barbara Karweik
        Message 3 of 29 , Jun 11, 2004
          1. Where do you hold your training sessions?
          We do most of our trainings at area churchs
          Outdoor trainings are held at a Scout camp.

          2. What do they charge for building use?
          Usually there is no charge but that is changing. We did get a charge of
          $100 for a Sat session and haven't gone back there again
          Camp charges are usually $50 for building use for the day

          3. How often do you hold training
          This is our District training schedule
          Sept we do YPT, NLE, and Specific Training
          Oct we do all three on a Sat and on 2 Tues eves
          Nov we do all three on a Sat and 2 Thurs eves
          Feb we do all three on a Sat
          June we do all three on a Sat
          Troop Committee Challenge is by appointment with a team of people who go
          to each troop as needed
          Boy Scout training is done on 4 weekends in the fall
          COR hasn't been done in a while
          Baloo is a Sat in Apr
          Webelos outdoor is a Sat in Mar
          Den Chief is done on a Sat in Aug
          We also have one District that does a portion of Cub training the 2nd Thur
          of every month (1st Thur is their Roundtable) They rotate between YPT, NLE
          and the specific trainings on a regular schedule
          Since we are a large metropolitan area, our leaders also have access to
          other District's trainings

          4. Group requested trainings
          Haven't had any requests except for Troop Comm Challenge - it's been
          done about 15 times

          Barb Karweik
          Buckeye District Training Chair (retires)
          Simon Kenton Council Training Chair
          Columbus Ohio
        • tsbeb@att.net
          Message 4 of 29 , Jun 14, 2004
            With the addition of Standard 68 in the 2004 National Camp Standards for Cub Scout/Boy Scout Resident Camps, where are you finding your Leave No Trace Master Educators?

            Regional camp school and some councils have been running courses for Leave No Trace Trainers but they pretty much full up fast.

            With NOLS and AMC holding a monopoly on Master Trainer courses can scouters afford to pay the amounts that they ask for the course?
            I know that in past years there were a number of courses that could not find enough participants to run.

            How far would you be willing to go to attend a Master's course?

            Ted Beblowski
            Been there,
            done that,
            have the tshirts
            the mugs
            and the wallet full of cards

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To visit your group on the web, go to:

          • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-P]
            Message 5 of 29 , Jun 14, 2004
              Hi Ida,

              So, here come the questions:

              1) Where do you hold your training sessions
              All over, camps, schools, churches, homes, council office, parks ...
              2) What do they charge you for building use
              We look for free use, though I think we pay for maintenance
              people for our University of Scouting.
              3) How often do you hold each of the following training sessions
              (These are from memory)
              New Leader Essentials New schedule for the coming year -
              monthly - council sponsored (each district responsible for 2 months)
              Districts - I believe 2 plus as deemed needed
              Youth Protection - I believe the council runs this monthly
              Units can arrange for 'unit training'. I have offered to do it for
              units at mutually convenient dates.
              Cub Scout Leader Specific Training Roughly the same as NLE.
              Troop Committee Challenge As requested by troops
              Chartered Organizational Representative Training
              Probably as requested, not familiar with this.
              Den Chief Training Used to be only at U of Scouting, but
              for the last few years districts have been trying to offer additional
              classes.
              4) How often (if ever) do you hold group-requested training
              If the group is big enough we do our darnedest to accommodate.

              Pete Mullaney, who has a council training committee meeting tonight!

            • norman henderson
              Message 6 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
                Hey everyone, I guess I am the new kid on the block as a new member
                of your group.

                I was the Tiger Den leader last year at Pack 557 in Columbus, IN and
                what an experience.

                They through me in head first and that is where I stayed all year.

                Trying to get help was a feat in its self, no one had time, just
                said you will be OK, keep at it.

                Well the year is all but over, I had a bad year as experience would
                have helped and now they moved me up to pack trainer. So I jumped
                in early and did my own research as to the job and so far have
                completed every training online I can find.

                Looking for more, anyone have courses I can get a hold of to use in
                advanced leadership at home? Our council has always given me the
                credit for any course I have sent in completed.

                Thanks
                Norman Henderson/pack 557
              • Dave Loomis
                Message 7 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
                  You didn't note what training you have taken, so my comments may
                  be a bit off target.

                  I'd get a copy of the Leadership Training Committee Guide, #
                  34169, $ 5.00, from your Scout Shop. This booklet is the meat of the
                  training program, and will get you started with what you need to do.
                  Secondly, I'd get in touch with your district or council training
                  committee, and see what courses they are offering and when. As a Pack
                  Trainer, you should take the Trainer Development Conference, to get you
                  up to speed on Scouting training methods and programs. Your district or
                  council training people should be running this program a couple of times
                  each year.

                  In order to be familiar with the training your pack needs, you
                  need to take the Fast Start training for all of the positions. These
                  are available at the National web site at,
                  http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=xx&c=ds&terms=Fast+Start+Training&x=0&y=0
                  or http://tinyurl.com/s58xw. You will have to create a logon name and
                  password to take these courses, but when you do, and complete the
                  courses, they should post to your record on your council's ScoutNet files.

                  Reading through the Leadership Training Committee Guide, you will
                  see the training each leader requires to become trained in his or her
                  position, and this will give you a good jumping off point. You will
                  have to determine what training they have completed, and then arrange
                  for the training they need, by position, so that you can request that
                  your district provide these specific courses. For the most part, Cub
                  Scout Training is composed of two or three steps; Fast Start, Youth
                  Protection, New Leader Essentials, Position Specific Training, and
                  either BALOO or Outdoor Leader Skills for the WEBELOS Leaders. You can
                  get Fast Start and Youth Protection Training online at the National site
                  I noted earlier, so this leaves you outdoors and position training to
                  worry about. BALOO is an acronym for Basic Adult Leader Outdoor
                  Orientation, which is required before the Pack take the Cubs out camping
                  as a pack or den. The syllabus is # 34162A (or later) and costs $
                  6.95. WEBELOS Leaders need Outdoor Leader Skills for the WEBELOS
                  Leaders, # 13-33640.which is a bin item so will either have to be
                  ordered from your council, or gotten from a person on this list. I can
                  feed you this course section by section, or can mail you a CD with the
                  entire course on it. The rest of the leaders will require the position
                  specific training for their position. This consists of a group of core
                  skills, plus a break out session for Cub Masters and Committee, and
                  Tiger, Wolf & Bear, and WEBELOS Den leaders all usually taught on a
                  Saturday within your district. The syllabus for this course is 34875A,
                  or later, and costs $ 12.00 as it comes with a CD.

                  You will also want to insure that each of your dens has a Den
                  Chief, a Boy Scout from a local troop who has taken the Den Chief
                  Orientation, # 34450C or later,which costs $ 4.75. Den Chiefs are an
                  important help to den leaders as they serve as an extra set of eyes and
                  hands, to help keep the program moving, as well as give the Cubs another
                  leader to look up to. They are especially important in the WEBELOS Dens
                  as they can facilitate the WEBELOS to Scout crossover, insuring that all
                  of the WEBELOS cross over to a troop, and are made to feel welcome in
                  the troop they chose.

                  This is a brief outline of your training needs and
                  responsibilities, that will help you get started on the right foot.
                  Don't hesitate to ask one of us some more questions, once you've gotten
                  the Training Committee book, and read the parts pertaining to Cub Packs
                  through a few times.

                  All the Best,

                  Dave

                  norman henderson wrote:

                  > Hey everyone, I guess I am the new kid on the block as a new member
                  > of your group.
                  >
                  > I was the Tiger Den leader last year at Pack 557 in Columbus, IN and
                  > what an experience.
                  >
                  > They through me in head first and that is where I stayed all year.
                  >
                  > Trying to get help was a feat in its self, no one had time, just
                  > said you will be OK, keep at it.
                  >
                  > Well the year is all but over, I had a bad year as experience would
                  > have helped and now they moved me up to pack trainer. So I jumped
                  > in early and did my own research as to the job and so far have
                  > completed every training online I can find.
                  >
                  > Looking for more, anyone have courses I can get a hold of to use in
                  > advanced leadership at home? Our council has always given me the
                  > credit for any course I have sent in completed.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  > Norman Henderson/pack 557

                  ADC & BS Training Chair
                  Historic District
                  Daniel Webster Council, BSA

                  245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
                  Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

                • Den Leader Norman Henderson
                  Message 8 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
                    Thanks,

                    I have finished all of the training in all area's and my council told me this was the next on I need. However, they wont be giving it untill later this fall and as you may guess, I would rather get it in now before I get tied up with our pack in a month or so.

                    As I can best figure out, being the first Pack Trainer we have ever had, in the past 21/2 months, I have taken and completed more courses than anyone in our pack. It seems, they feel that, they volunteer their time during the school year, and I might add do a great job, they just have a hard time understanding how the required training can really help them. And I have to try and reach them some how.

                    Thanks
                    Norman

                    norman henderson wrote:

                    > Hey everyone, I guess I am the new kid on the block as a new member
                    > of your group.
                    >
                    > I was the Tiger Den leader last year at Pack 557 in Columbus, IN and
                    > what an experience.
                    >
                    > They through me in head first and that is where I stayed all year.
                    >
                    > Trying to get help was a feat in its self, no one had time, just
                    > said you will be OK, keep at it.
                    >
                    > Well the year is all but over, I had a bad year as experience would
                    > have helped and now they moved me up to pack trainer. So I jumped
                    > in early and did my own research as to the job and so far have
                    > completed every training online I can find.
                    >
                    > Looking for more, anyone have courses I can get a hold of to use in
                    > advanced leadership at home? Our council has always given me the
                    > credit for any course I have sent in completed.
                    >
                    > Thanks
                    > Norman Henderson/pack 557

                    ADC & BS Training Chair
                    Historic District
                    Daniel Webster Council, BSA

                    245 Union St., #4 (603) 431 5342
                    Portsmouth, NH 0301-4349

                  • Don Wilson
                    Message 9 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
                      Hi, Norman,

                      Then you have completed:

                      Cub Scout Fast Start
                      New Leader Essentials for Cub Scouts
                      Position Specific for Cubmaster, Tiger Leader, Den Leader, Webelos
                      Leader, Committee
                      BALOO
                      Webelos Outdoor Training
                      Youth Protection
                      Trainer Development Course

                      That is quite a lot of training for one year, and I applaud your
                      efforts. If by chance you have not completed all of the above, then
                      I would suggest that you make use of the time before the next Wood
                      Badge course in your council participate in all training events
                      available to you, not those focused on your present leadership
                      position. You might be serving in a different position by the time
                      you have the Wood Badge experience, and perhaps any "pre-course"
                      work.

                      I would also highly recommend that you work with the District
                      Training Chair and after completing the Trainer Development Course
                      work as a trainer whenever possible.

                      Part of your job as Pack Trainer is to conduct orientation of new
                      families. That is extremely important for retention of Cub Scouts
                      and should not wait until you can put that on your ticket. So that
                      would be a project to consider investing tie and energy for the
                      success of the Pack.

                      As to the thought of experiencing Wood Badge via PowerPoint and CD, I
                      fully agree with Dave. The course is much to important to try an end
                      run.

                      Don Wilson
                      Trainer, Old Hickory Council
                      Council Training Committee member 15 years
                      Past Past Training Chairman Chairman
                      Was a Fabulous, Feisty Fox, SR-191
                    • Den Leader Norman Henderson
                      Message 10 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
                        Thank you Sir,

                        As with all the other advice, yours is also appreciated and taken to heart. I learned the hard way about retention and keeping families and their scouts interested. As a parent of a scout, I didnt realize just how much work and planning the leaders were doing, then when I volunteered last year, I started learning real fast,

                        I simply want to be a good Pack Trainer and have enough knowledge about each area that I can be of help when needed. With over 40 boys in our pack, we are proud of what we have to offer. I hope that I can help make it even better.

                        Norman Henderson

                      • corinnajones@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
                          Norman,
                          Great to hear you jumped in are are doing all you can to take all of the trainings.
                          For our district and council, I am not authorized to train anyone in my pack, unless it is at a district training. BUT, I have been able to motivate our leaders to get trained, and got our pack's training record updated (and for the first time our leadership has earned the den leader award, webelos leader award, and cubmaster award). We are a smaller pack, but now have all trained leaders, except the assistant webelos leader who just moved up from bears.
                          Our pack members got BALOO trained for the first time, roundtable attendance is way up, and three of our leaders participated in Jungle Book training http://www.dacbsa.org/cc_schedtng/forms-schedtng/06%20Jungle%20Book.pdf (I was Webelos den leader in the course). Look out for your council's Powwow or University of Scouting. You will find a large variety of training courses.
                          One year after our leadership change the enthusiasm in the pack is now phantastic. Everybody knows what they're doing, and the boys are having fun.
                          Scouting.org has a great job description for Pack Trainer.
                          There is another list I have learned tons of things, and the discussions can be very fruitful, hopefully that link works: Cub-L-subscribe@...

                          Keep up the good work.
                          Yours in Scouting,

                          Corinna Jones
                          Pack Trainer
                          Day Camp Program Director
                          Unit Commissioner
                          Troop Committee Member
                          Michigami & Sunset District
                          Detroit Area Council
                        • David Brown
                          Message 12 of 29 , Jul 4, 2006
                            Norman,

                            I am for Pack 563 in Charlestown, Indiana, just an hour south of
                            you. I am the Pack Trainer and a member of my District's Training Team.
                            You are part of Hoosier Hills Council? Or is it Crossroads of America in
                            Columbus? I know Crossroads has New Leader Essentials online and Job
                            Specifics as well, BUT in person Training is always better than the online
                            as you get more out of it. Our District is having it's' first Training of
                            the year on August 26th. We are also planning one sometime in Scottsburg,
                            IN. Keep in mind with Training you don't have to go to your District or
                            even Council for Training. Especially for Trainers Development as most
                            Councils do this once a Year. LHC's was June 17th and the Next one will be
                            June 2007.

                            If you have any question feel free to post and will comment, or
                            if you want to email me off group.

                            Dave Brown

                            Pack Trainer

                            Pack 563

                            Chief Old Ox District

                            Lincoln Heritage Council

                            kc9dre@...

                            _____

                            Message 13 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                              I am in need of a cool (inspiring) induction ceremony that would be done at a camp fire at Wood Badge for the troop guides that will be inducted into Venturing. If you have any ideas that would be great. I am trying to inspire adults and introduce many of them to the family of Venturing.

                              Andre
                              Branson, MO

                            • NeilLup@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006

                                > As I can best figure out, being the first Pack Trainer we have ever had, in
                                > the past 21/2 months, I have taken and completed more courses than anyone in
                                > our pack. It seems, they feel that, they volunteer their time during the
                                > school year, and I might add do a great job, they just have a hard time
                                > understanding how the required training can really help them. And I have to try and
                                > reach them some how.

                                Hello Norman,

                                Thank you for undertaking the very important job of Pack Trainer.
                                Hopefully, it will be fun and rewarding for you and helpful for your Pack.

                                A few comments about the leaders in your Pack and their reluctance to take
                                training. Ideally, training should

                                1) Make the leaders' job more efficient and REDUCE THE TIME THAT THEY NEED
                                TO SPEND
                                2) Make their job more rewarding and more fun
                                3) Give them plenty of resources to have a better, more exciting program
                                4) Allow them to get to know other leaders in Cub Scouting with whom they
                                can share and borrow ideas and talk about challenges, etc.
                                5) Help ensure that the real purposes of Scouting are being met and not
                                just the surface purposes
                                6) Etc. etc. etc.

                                You say that your leaders are doing a great job and I can't question that,
                                certainly based just on e-mail posts. However, how do they know that and how
                                do you know that? How do they know what they should be doing and what the
                                real purposes of the Scouting movement are? One can have an extremely well
                                organized "Pack" doing pinewood derbies and Blue and Golds and other things
                                and be missing the point Similarly, a Pack can appear to be a lot less
                                well organized and have fewer activities but be delivering a real Scouting
                                program.

                                Perhaps an analogy is this. Suppose a school bus driver were to say "I'm
                                really busy. I'm so busy driving this school bus that I don't have time to
                                take school bus driver training." How would the parents feel? Should
                                they, or the Pack leaders, feel any different about trying to run a Cub Scout
                                Pack without training?

                                You also mentioned about the goal of Wood Badge within two years. This is
                                for the most obvious reason possible. If Wood Badge is helpful and
                                beneficial in learning how to run a great Pack efficiently, to work with adults and
                                youth and to enjoy Scouts and Scouting, then one should get that experience
                                and skills as early in ones time as a Scout leader as possible. Why wait
                                5-10 years as a non Wood Badge trained leader only to go and say (as people do),
                                "Gee, I wish I had taken this years ago." But WB within two years is a
                                goal. It is not locked in concrete.

                                As a Pack Trainer, you have the very important front line job of making
                                sure that training really is useful and beneficial for the leaders in your Pack.
                                Your job is not just to present material and hope that it is helpful. To
                                the fullest extent possible, you should do what you can to make it helpful.
                                Wood Badge should help you with this. So will Roundtables.

                                Thank you for undertaking a challenging task.

                                Best wishes,

                                Neil Lupton

                              • CubScoutDen@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                                  In a message dated 7/4/2006 5:39:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                  don-wilson@... writes:
                                  Part of your job as Pack Trainer is to conduct orientation of new
                                  families.
                                  Does anyone have a link to the responsibilities for this position? All I
                                  have is the requirements for the new knot, and I would like to become Pack
                                  Trainer this Fall (turning in my ACM hat, for now).

                                  Lisa
                                  Mom to 3 boys
                                  ACM Pack 689
                                  Webelos DL
                                  Troop Committee

                                • JNDunnMN@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                                    http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/about/thepack/ptrnr.html

                                    YiS,
                                    Jamie Dunn
                                    Pack Trainer
                                    P. 512
                                    Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                                    Cub Scout Training Chair
                                    Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                                    3 Rivers District

                                    don-wilson@... writes:
                                    Part of your job as Pack Trainer is to conduct orientation of new
                                    families.
                                    Does anyone have a link to the responsibilities for this position?All I
                                    have is the requirements for the new knot, and I would like to become Pack
                                    Trainer this Fall (turning in my ACM hat, for now).

                                    Lisa
                                    Mom to 3 boys
                                    ACM Pack 689
                                    Webelos DL
                                    Troop Committee

                                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed

                                  • Jim von Schmacht
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                                      http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-152.pdf

                                      Jim von Schmacht

                                      Loma Prieta District Training Chair

                                      ________________________________

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                                        See http://www.geocities.com/~pack215/pt.html for a nice Pack Trainer
                                        synopsis.

                                        YiS,

                                        John Spahr, Aklan Training Team
                                        Work: (510) 434-7611 x231
                                        Cell: (510) 377-0742
                                        Home: (925) 944-9467

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                                          In a message dated 7/5/2006 5:40:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                          JNDunnMN@... writes:
                                          http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/about/thepack/ptrnr.html Thanks!

                                          Lisa
                                          Mom to 3 boys
                                          ACM Pack 689
                                          Webelos DL
                                          Troop Committee

                                        • Judy Yeager
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Jul 5, 2006
                                            John wrote, "See http://goecities.com/~pack215/pt.html for a nice Pack Trainer synopsis."

                                            Not a good reference. As excellent as the Pack 215 site is in so many areas, this Pack Trainer synopsis is totally out of date and does not agree with the "official" job description found on National's website at http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/resources/13-152.pdf

                                            Judy Yeager
                                            NT District Training Chair
                                            HOAC

                                          • Russ Gordon, Pack 42
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Jul 12, 2006
                                              Dave didn't I read someplace a list you posted with all the current
                                              training item bin numbers? I just found out we have several Districts
                                              that do not have a complete set of training material. I told our Council
                                              Training chair I thought I had a list of the up-to-date bin numbers for
                                              everything.
                                              I just read through my past e-mails and I can't find it.