Re: [Scouter_T] Digest Number 844

  • wahowland@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2004
      Re: OWL/BALOO/IOLS:

      >   However, I think the point of the original question was in staffing the
      > event.  By holding all three events at the same time, it might be possible to
      > juggle the staff and do all three at once and not have to reserve the camp
      > for several weeks.

      Possibly true, and I hope that was it. We try to run them in the same area of
      camp on the same weekend, too...it's especially valuable for the BALOO folks
      to wander into the IOLS campsite and see the dutch ovens, the tents, the
      different lanterns, and so forth, and talk to the other level leaders over lunch
      about gear, for example. And we include the OWL and the IOLS leaders in the
      Sunday Scouts Own, of course.

      The person who teaches Scout first aid requirements can also do the H&S
      section for BALOO and the Readyman pin for OWL...if we coordinate the schedule so
      she can get to all three, LOL.

      The person who teaches fire can do them all at once if she says to the BALOO
      and OWL folks, "This is how YOU do a fire," and then turns to the Scout folks
      and says, "This is how you TEACH THE BOYS how to do a fire." All three have
      different presentations on campfire (as opposed to building a campfire), so this
      isn't the time to talk about that.

      Auntie Beans
      Cape Cod & Islands Council, MA
      Training Chair
      I useta be an eagle, NE-I-188
      and a staffer, NE-I-209, 234
      Nat'l Scout Jambo H&S service, 97, 01, 05