Re: [Scouter_T] Digest Number 844

  • wahowland@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2004
      In a message dated 6/3/04 4:41:16 AM, scouter_t@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > > I will be running a WOLT session in august and it will be concurrent
      > > with our district's BALOO training.  Has anyone done this before?
      > >
      > Yes, our district has done this for the last 2-3 years and it has worked
      > very well.  The leaders coming out for OLT (we call it Cub OLT instead
      > of Webelos OLT to get more leaders there) arrive Friday evening, people
      > going thru Baloo arrive Saturday morning and leave Saturday afternoon.
      > We also have the Boy Scouts out doing IOLS at the same time too.  For
      > the most part, the IOLS staff is separate and the activities/program are
      > separate between the cubs and boy scouts.

      Problems here:
      BALOO has very little in common with OWL.

      1) BALOO is designed for parents, not even necessarily registered leaders,
      although most of the takers here are registered. It is required for Packs to
      do Pack Family Camping and encompasses many elements such as campground
      facilities requirements, program elements for siblings, and basic camping newbie
      stuff. Tigers, Wolves, and Bears cannot do den camping but must do pack family
      camping, so this addresses all the components for that.

      2) OWL/WOL is aimed at WEBELOS leaders doing den camping. It emphasises the
      WEBELOS activity pins/advancement that can be done in the outdoors. While there
      are always new campers among the leaders, and so there is some place for
      overlap in, say, the gear, firebuilding and foil dinner segments, that's about it.

      And since the curriculum emphasises the activity pins and DEN camping, it's
      not really useful for Tiger/Wolf/Bear leaders, who do none of those. So
      advertising it as "Cub Outdoor Skills" does a disservice to all.

      Cub leaders should take BALOO for its material regarding camping that will
      apply to all levels. WEBELOS leaders who plan den camping with WEBELOS level
      activities should have OWL/WOL.

      And IOLS, Intro to Outdoor Leader Skills, is not a Cub course, either: this
      is specifically aimed at Boy Scout leaders who will be doing the outdoor
      advancement activities for Tenderfoot, 2nd Class, and 1st Class Boy Scouts. Again,
      while there are some activities that may overlap, cooking being the most
      likely, when you consider that the course is designed to teach adult leaders how to
      do the T-2-1 cooking requirements, not teach the adults how to cook for their
      boys/families, you can see that it's not something you can automatically
      double-up on either.

      When people focus only on the ideas of performing outdoor skills when they
      consider a course, they are doing so in ignorance of the main goals of the three
      different courses. They're sort of like the guy that says, "I was in the
      Army/was an Eagle Scout/have been camping since I was born, I don't need to take
      this course to know how to take boys camping." Well, actually, if you want to
      do it congruent with our program, yes, you sorta should.

      Hope this clarifies things. There is a reason it is why it is.

      Auntie Beans
      Cape Cod & Islands Council, MA
      Training Chair
      I useta be an eagle, NE-I-188
      and a staffer, NE-I-209, 234
      Nat'l Scout Jambo H&S service, 97, 01, 05

    • Brant Lippincott
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2004
        wahowland@... wrote:

        BALOO has very little in common with OWL.

        Cub leaders should take BALOO for its material regarding camping that will apply to all levels. WEBELOS leaders who plan den camping with WEBELOS level activities should have OWL/WOL.

        They're sort of like the guy that says, "I was in the
        Army/was an Eagle Scout/have been camping since I was born, I don't need to take this course to know how to take boys camping."

        I agree 99.99 percent with what Auntie said. However, I think the point of the original question was in staffing the event. By holding all three events at the same time, it might be possible to juggle the staff and do all three at once and not have to reserve the camp for several weeks. And by sharing staff between the events, that puts a little less strain on the staff. I know we're all committed (or is that we all should be committed??). But I basically like the idea of running all three at once.

        We've found that we can get better attendence if we run BALOO at a local park and the folks don't have to drive 1 hour to camp.

        Auntie made me rethink the "Cub Leader Outdoor Training" comment. Cubs are NOT allowed to go camping as a den. THAT is the destinction. I'd advertise it in a way so as to get BEAR leaders thinking about next year and plan ahead.

        For the Boys,
        Brant

      • wahowland@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2004
          Re: OWL/BALOO/IOLS:

          >   However, I think the point of the original question was in staffing the
          > event.  By holding all three events at the same time, it might be possible to
          > juggle the staff and do all three at once and not have to reserve the camp
          > for several weeks.

          Possibly true, and I hope that was it. We try to run them in the same area of
          camp on the same weekend, too...it's especially valuable for the BALOO folks
          to wander into the IOLS campsite and see the dutch ovens, the tents, the
          different lanterns, and so forth, and talk to the other level leaders over lunch
          about gear, for example. And we include the OWL and the IOLS leaders in the
          Sunday Scouts Own, of course.

          The person who teaches Scout first aid requirements can also do the H&S
          section for BALOO and the Readyman pin for OWL...if we coordinate the schedule so
          she can get to all three, LOL.

          The person who teaches fire can do them all at once if she says to the BALOO
          and OWL folks, "This is how YOU do a fire," and then turns to the Scout folks
          and says, "This is how you TEACH THE BOYS how to do a fire." All three have
          different presentations on campfire (as opposed to building a campfire), so this
          isn't the time to talk about that.