Re: Scouts in Iraq

  • Bill Nelson
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2004
      IRAQI SCOUTING INITIATIVE NOTICE

      TO: ALL SCOUTS, SCOUTERS, UNITS, DISTRICTS, COUNCILS, and FRIENDS of
      SCOUTING in IRAQ

      You can help! Support and promote OPERATION POCKET CHANGE to raise
      money for Iraqi Scouting.

      As part of our International Scouting Public Diplomacy
      initiative, I'm asking every Scout Unit we can reach, anywhere in
      the world, to have the Scouts, Scouters, friends, family, and even
      co-workers put their pocket change each day into a jar for a week,
      then have the "family Scout" turn the collection over to the Scout
      Master or Unit Treasurer. The Troop, Pack, Crew then converts the
      money into a check at the weekly (or monthly) meeting, and sends the
      amount to the BSA World Friendship Fund earmarked for "Iraqi
      Scouting." Continue the Operation (OPC)until we reach our
      objectives. Collected contributions should be sent to:

      World Friendship Fund
      Boy Scouts of America
      1325 West Walnut Hill Lane
      PO Box 152079
      Irving TX 75015-2079
      USA

      Make checks or money orders out to "WFF" but note on
      them that the donation is "to help restart Iraqi Scouting." 100% of
      the funds will go to the Iraqi Scouting Initiative via channels to
      the World Scouting Organization, Arab Scouting Organizations and the
      Iraqi National Scout Council. BSA will provide tax-deductible
      receipts in due course.

      Spread the word far and wide to your own Scouting networks,
      Units, Districts and Councils (Scouters can earn credit for the
      International Scouter Knot), friends, family, or corporations. If
      every Scout and Scouter in the US contributed even $1, we'd have the
      $4 million for the construction and enough leftover for a permanent
      endowment for Iraqi Scouting and to launch other plans that will
      benefit not only Iraq and the region, but Scouting as a whole, and
      the world at large. If every Scout in the World were to
      contribution, miracles could happen.

      FUNDRAISING GOALS :

      (A) FOUR MILLION DOLLARS : Needed to turn a 40 acre, 5 building,
      former Saddam secret police camp into a world class, 21st Century
      National Iraqi Scout HQS, Regional Scout Camp, and International
      Scouting Center. Plans call for the HQS and Center to have

      · National Iraqi Scout HQS offices with modern equipment and
      national/international connectivity
      · An International Scout Center for visiting Scouts and
      Scouters to use when visiting Iraq
      · A Training Center for Scouts and Adult Leaders
      · Conference Rooms
      · A Computer Lab for Scouts, Scouts, and Community use
      · An Iraqi Scout Museum
      · A Scout Shop
      · A Movie Theatre (for training and community entertainment)
      · A No Trace Scout Camp with a Nature Preserve and
      Outdoor/Scouting Labs
      · A Jamboree Site and Assembly Area (usable for sports and
      other Scout and community activities the rest of the year).
      · An Aquatics Center with 600 meters of Tigris Riverfront
      access
      · A Top-Rope, certified Climbing Tower and Wall
      · A Dormitory for visiting Scouts and Scouters who are not
      camping.
      · A Restaurant or Cafeteria for Staff, Visitors, and Scouts
      · A field dining or mess hall for Campers
      · COPE course
      · Archery Range
      · Campfire and Assembly area with Reviewing Stand
      · Secure and Safe environment for Scouts, Scouters,
      Community activities, and visitors

      Note: The prime real estate was acquired for the Iraqi Scout
      Council at no cost. JUMPSTART Int'l is providing 100 workers at no
      cost to the Iraqi Scouts to demolish bomb damaged buildings and
      clear looter-caused damage and debris. On a budget of zero dollars
      to date, we have acquired property and accomplished tangible results
      that few non-Scouters thought could be done in such a short time.
      Now Scouters have to demonstrate that the world community of
      Scouting is behind the youth, adults, and communities of Iraq, by
      funding the construction and building phases of the program.

      (B) TEN MILLION DOLLARS -- Eventually need to establish a
      permanent endowment that will provide ongoing operational and
      staffing income to keep Iraqi Scouting free, independent, and
      functioning for the rest of its existence.

      (C) ONE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS – This is an ambitious goal, and
      not one we don't need to achieve in the first year, but it would not
      hurt. However, working towards this goal and achieving in the
      shortest period of time will allow for a multi-year or permanent
      program to do the following:

      . Provide uniforms, equipment, office, and support
      facilities for an infrastructure, system of regional camps, and
      staffing to support 500,000 Iraqi Scouts by the year 2005.
      · Upgrade and bring back on line approximately two dozen or
      more Scout Camps in the 18 Provinces of Iraq.
      · Train a new generation of Iraqi Adult Scout leaders in the
      Essential Leadership Skills and Program Management courses to make
      them professional.
      · Facilitate the acquisition and building of facilities for
      a "Philmont-like" International Scout Reservation in the majestic
      Kurdish northeast region of Iraq, among some of the most scenic and
      pristine mountains and valleys in the Middle East.
      · Establish 5 major "Geographic Scout Camps" in Iraq, to
      allow for all levels of Scouting to engage in Scouting, Camping, and
      Leadership activities in the Mountains, Desert/Oasis, River Valleys,
      Forests, and Marsh/Coastal areas of Iraq.
      · Establish an Iraqi Sea Scout base on the northern tip of
      the Arabian/Persian Gulf
      · Provide the means and methods to invite International
      Scouts to Iraq, without regard to creeds, cultures, or political
      obstacles in their homeland.
      · Promote international understanding through the building
      of relationships through Scouting.
      · Provide the means for Iraqi Scouts and Scouters to visit,
      most for the first time, other countries of the world to become a
      part of the world community again.
      · Allow for solid, professional Scouting programs that bring
      the "Promise of Scouting" not only to the youth of Iraq, but to
      Scouts elsewhere in the region and world through Scouting based in
      Iraq. (Invitational Leadership Program).

      Remember these thoughts:

      · A dream is just an idea. Reality is a dream with a plan
      of action. We have both.
      · For $4 million we can do the unbelievable in Baghdad. For
      $100 million, the face of the Middle East could be changed for the
      better through Scouting programs based in Iraq.
      · If we all push a pebble (contribute a little), we can move
      mountains (achieve even our most ambitious goals).
      · Scouting has a history of uniting people and cultures. It
      shares Universal Values and Builds Relationships that transcend
      ethnic, cultural, national, international, political, and religious
      boundaries.
      · Scouting is the Diplomacy of Youth.
      · Scouting is not just a program of activities. It is a
      method of teaching young people how to make the moral and ethical
      decisions they will need throughout their lives. In a world going a
      bit mad, a new generation of leaders will need the attributes
      Scouting gives them.
      · This is for boys and girls. Men and Women.

      Yours In Scouting
      Chip Beck
      Chairman, Green Zone Council of Volunteer Scouters
      Iraqi Scouting Initiative
      Baghdad