Re: Updated VVV Chart

  • Bill Nelson
    Message 1 of 10 , May 18, 2004
      One of the nice things about making it a high school / undergraduate
      college program is that Venturing can gear all their material to
      those ages, which they have done. Read the material and you will
      see that it is set to the High School age range. Venturing is setup
      very much like other High School clubs (not middle school clubs).

      Basic Boy Scouting (not Venture and Varsity), on the other hand, is
      geared for middle school aged youth. All the materials are setup
      for that age range.

      just my 2-cents... I like the fact that Venturing is set to High
      School / Undergraduate College aged youth. Just like I like the
      fact that Boy Scouting is setup for middle school aged youth.

      -bill

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, NeilLup@a... wrote:

      > In a message dated 5/18/04 2:51:49 PM, beer@c... writes:
      >

      > > I would wonder if anyone can tell me why Venturing requires for
      someone to
      > > have completed the 8th grade.  If they want to include 14 year
      olds, why not
      > > just leave it there.  Most kids turn 14 in the 8th grade.
      > >

      > Hello,
      >
      > I believe this was a holdover from Exploring. The idea was that
      Exploring
      > (and now Venturing) is a program for high school students, not for
      8th
      > graders. So the requirements would mean that a 14 year old
      would be entering high
      > school. The presumption was that a 15 year old would be mature
      enough for
      > Exploring/Venturing regardless of grade.
      >
      > I would think that you could have activities for prospective
      Venturers just
      > like activities for prospective Boy Scouts before they meet the
      age
      > requirements to join. You also could recommend a change to the
      joining requirements
      > which would allow a boy to join at age 14 if they have earned
      First Class Rank
      > in a Boy Scout Troop. I'm not sure if there would be a clear-
      cut way to have
      > young women join prior to completing the 8th grade.
      >
      > Please do share your thoughts in this area with the Venturing
      Division at the