Re: Posting to the group

  • wbrown@arkie.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8, 2004
      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Mott" <bobwhite_155@v...>
      wrote:

      > I have a question about posting to the group. I sent a response
      > about the question regarding OA elections for a female Crew
      > member. I sent this response yesterday as soon as the question
      > came through. But, it did not appear until a few minutes ago,
      > about 24 hours after I sent it using the web interface at Yahoo.
      > Does anyone know why this happened?

      Actually there are a few issues here:

      1) "New" users are on moderation. We implemented this to eliminate
      the spam the group was getting from people who would sign up and
      imediately send some totally inapproporiate message and then
      imeditatly un-subscribe.

      2) "New" users are not automatically "promoted" to unmoderated. A
      moderator has to go in and set this manually (which I have now done
      for you, Brian). Unfortunately, it's not nearly as easy to do this
      as it should be, so it doesn't necessarily happen as soon as it
      should.

      3) Moderated messages take SEVERAL additional automatic steps and
      one additional manual step. A moderated message is forwarded to the
      moderators, they either have to "reply" to the message or go to the
      web page to approve the message. The approved message is NOW put
      into the queue to be delivered. Even the automatic steps can take
      Yahoo from several seconds to many minutes to process (Yahoo
      processes thousands of messages an hour). The time for the manual
      approval is directly proportional to the number of moderators that
      happen to be online at the time.

      > This kind of annoys me, mostly because I am sure this was the
      > reason why we got many responses stating the same answer. Folks
      > saw the question, and no answers, so they answered it.

      I understand your irritation! Unfortunately, this is something that
      I'm afraid we will have to live with to avoid the spam issue! Any
      user that feels that their messages aren't getting to the list in a
      timely manner can e-mail me and I will go back and check to see that
      there is some posting history and then I will switch them to
      unmoderated. We try to do this as the messages come in but sometimes
      folks (like you) slip through the cracks.

      BTW, here is a section from the file that goes to new users that
      discusses this:

      SPAM - New Member Moderation
      ----------------------------
      All new members to the list are configured as "moderated". While
      this is unfortunate, it is a direct response to people who have
      attempted to abuse the list by immediately signing up and then
      sending "spam" to the list members. Spam messages will not be
      approved for distribution to the list.

      Any attempt to "spam" the list will IMEDIATELY result in an ABUSE
      report to Yahoo Groups, your ISP and banning from the list. Most
      ISP's will terminate your account for using their service in this
      manner!
    • Nell Colbert
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8, 2004
        Brian,

        In the last several days, YahooGroups has apparently been experiencing a
        large volume of traffic in their system. I moderate a number of YahooGroups
        sites and found that it took about 24 hours for messages to appear on the
        lists after they were approved on all of the sites.

        Hope this gives you some explanation.

        Nell Colbert

        Little Econ District

        Central Florida Council.

        _____

        I have a question about posting to the group. I sent a response
        about the question regarding OA elections for a female Crew member.
        I sent this response yesterday as soon as the question came through.
        But, it did not appear until a few minutes ago, about 24 hours after
        I sent it using the web interface at Yahoo. Does anyone know why
        this happened?

        This kind of annoys me, mostly because I am sure this was the reason
        why we got many responses stating the same answer. Folks saw the
        question, and no answers, so they answered it.

        Brian
        York, PA

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cmicvro/M=290828.4794622.5939935.1261774/D=egroup
        web/S=1705066162:HM/EXP=1081533325/A=1950447/R=0/SIG=124ri7d3j/*http:/ashnin
        .com/clk/muryutaitakenattogyo?YH=4794622&yhad=1950447> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=290828.4794622.5939935.1261774/D=egroupweb
        /S=:HM/A=1950447/rand=864372959>

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Sean Scott
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 8, 2004
          Brian wrote: <snip> I sent a response about the question regarding OA
          elections for a female Crew member. I sent this response yesterday as soon
          as the question came through. But, it did not appear until a few minutes
          ago, about 24 hours after I sent it using the web interface at Yahoo. Does
          anyone know why
          this happened?

          Brian,

          I've noticed that postings to Yahoo have been slow over the past few days.
          It may be that they're doing maintenance, moving servers, or just getting a
          lot of infected mail or spam that their system is having to deal with.

          Sean
        • Ken Walker
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 8, 2004
            --- Brian Mott wrote:
            > I have a question about posting to the group.
            > I posted a message yesterday, but........
            > it did not appear until ......
            > about 24 hours after I sent it.

            More on this phenomenna in a second.
            First, let's answer your question:

            > Does anyone know why this happened?

            How 'bout this for an answer: Cuz it's free?
            Seriously, we don't pay Y!G one red cent for this service, and many
            members also use Yahoo's free email service. It's not a great answer,
            but it's the truth.

            Now, if you want to "read the tea leaves" and see where your message
            was delayed in delivery, click on "Show Headers" and you will see the
            following (I cleaned it up a bit for discussion purposes). It shows
            the journey of your message from the original posting until it's
            delivery to the group. Each "Recieved:" signals a message transfer
            between mail servers. (Time runs backwards, so you have to read from
            bottom to top.)

            Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 18:03:29 -0000
            ---end headers---

            What can you see from this mess?
            1) Your original post was YESTERDAY at 18:03 (-0000 => GMT, about 5
            hours later than EDT).

            2) The message merrily bounced through the 2 YG systems before it got
            stuck.

            3) For reasons unknown, it was stuck from 07-Apr/18:05 until 08-
            Apr/10:46 between these 2 servers:
            - n21.grp.scd.yahoo.com
            - m12.grp.scd.yahoo.com

            4) Then, it merrily continued on it's journey thru 3 more servers and
            was delivered around 10:49 GMT (I think).

            5) Also, notice how the message time/date stamp is when you sent it,
            NOT when the server received it?

            6) This also happens when a member is "moderated", and the post must
            be "approved". I assume that's not the issue here (since your 2nd
            message came through so quickly).

            Brian, I have seen this happen with Y!G before. Between Yahoo Mail &
            Groups, they handle a TON of messages. The problem has been
            exacerbated by all of the extra messages generated by the recent
            virii.

            Note - This problem isn't just a Y!G issue. Scouts-L has been "mostly
            down" for a week. That listserv usually sends about 30-50 msgs/day,
            but has only delivered one DIGEST (w/ 50 msgs) since 1-April.

            That's probably more than you ever want to know about YG & email.
            If you really want to discuss, join one of the Y!G email managers
            groups. They discuss this stuff all the time.

            -Ken
          • Scouter Chuck
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 9, 2004
              Both Ken Walker and the Moderator have sent some good explanations
              of different reasons why this is happening.

              I can also tell you that my employer (a large corporation) has been
              having a similar issue, although it seems to be resolved much more
              quickly. The only email that seems unaffected by this is Spam,
              which I find both interesting and unfortunate.

              I would, however, like to ask if anyone else has noticed that this
              seems to happen when there is "increased activity" anywhere in the
              Middle East? Such as this last week.

              For that reason, I believe much of it is deliberate, and possibly
              in the form of "Denial Of Service attacks" to the various
              informational services. DOS meaning that they get bombarded with
              so much traffic they have to shut down to keep from crashing the
              servers.

              As far as Scouts-L -- as I only subscribe to 2 listservers -- When
              nothing happens for longer than I think normal, I send a "query
              scouts-l" to the list command address. I'll generally get a note
              back that I am "subscribed with the following options" followed by
              the list. If that happens, I know I's still subscribed and that
              the list is probably down. Doing that cuts down immensely on the
              number of "What's wrong with the list" postings that inevitably
              follow these outages.

              On the YahooGroups, of course, we can just check the Group page.
              If you can't get in, or the Group is not listed on your "MyGroups"
              page, then you aren't subscribed.

              Hope this helps some...

              I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
              -- Stephen R. Covey
            • Dave Loomis
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 10, 2004
                Generally when I post to Scouts-L under these circumstances, I
                receive a message informing me that the distribution of my message has
                been postponed due to the list being held, which accomplishes the same
                purpose.

                In other words, if you check your Inbox shortly after posting a
                message to Scouts-L, you can tell if it has been placed on the list,
                or if the list is being held for one reason or another.

                Dave

                Scouter Chuck wrote:

                > Both Ken Walker and the Moderator have sent some good explanations
                > of different reasons why this is happening.
                >
                > As far as Scouts-L -- as I only subscribe to 2 listservers -- When
                > nothing happens for longer than I think normal, I send a "query
                > scouts-l" to the list command address. I'll generally get a note
                > back that I am "subscribed with the following options" followed by
                > the list. If that happens, I know I's still subscribed and that
                > the list is probably down. Doing that cuts down immensely on the
                > number of "What's wrong with the list" postings that inevitably
                > follow these outages.
                >
                > On the YahooGroups, of course, we can just check the Group page.
                > If you can't get in, or the Group is not listed on your "MyGroups"
                > page, then you aren't subscribed.
                >
                > Hope this helps some...
                >
                > YiS,
                >
                > Chuck Bramlet -- Phoenix, Az. ----- mailto:antelope95@...
                > I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
                > Thunderbird District -- Grand Canyon Council
                > Committee Member at Large, Roundtable Staff -- Member DNRC

                Dave Loomis mailto: dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
                245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
                Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
              • Scouter Chuck
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 10, 2004
                  Dave Loomis wrote...

                  > Generally when I post to Scouts-L under these circumstances, I
                  > receive a message informing me that the distribution of my message has
                  > been postponed due to the list being held, which accomplishes the same
                  > purpose.
                  >
                  > In other words, if you check your Inbox shortly after posting a
                  > message to Scouts-L, you can tell if it has been placed on the list,
                  > or if the list is being held for one reason or another.

                  True, but that uses up one of the 50 daily message spots, where
                  a query doesn't.

                  YiS,

                  Chuck