Re: OT: OA Question

  • Brian Mott
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Sean Scott" <sscott@a...> wrote:
      > Sorry for the off-topic post, but this question recently came up
      and I
      > figure someone here would know:
      >
      > Can a female youth member of a Venturing Crew be elected into the
      OA?

      No.

      First, the Order of the Arrow is an honor society for the Boy Scout
      division of the BSA. This includes Troops and Teams (Varsity
      Scouts). No one can be elected by a Venturing Crew, male or female.

      Second, to be elected, you must hold at least First Class rank.
      Since females cannot earn rank (no one can earn rank below First
      class in a Crew), this also makes them not electable.

      Either of these requirements be themselves makes it impossible for
      female Crew members to be elected. Both would have to be changed for
      that to happen.

      Brian MOtt
      York, PA