Re: [Scouter_T] OT: OA Question

  • John Halter
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 7 10:25 AM
      According to the eligibility requirements, the youth has to have earned the
      rank of First Class. Since a female cannot earn that rank, I would say they
      would not be eligible as a youth. Haven't seen anything specific in writing
      that says a female youth can or cannot be a member. Check the Order of the
      Arrow Guide for Officers and Advisers for an exact answer.
      When I was looking into this, I found that a Lone Scout also cannot join the
      OA as a youth. This is because he has to be elected by other youth in his
      unit. If he's a Lone Scout, there is no one to elect him. Also, the youth
      elected to the OA are to return service to their unit and inspire others to be
      better scouts. If he's the only one, there is no one to inspire.

      Thank you,

      John Halter
      Cubmaster
      Pack 230 Apopka Florida
      www.pack230.com
      Assistant Scoutmaster
      Troop 936 Longwood Florida
      www.wekiwa.org
      ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
      "PackDude" at Scoutboard.com

      Quoting Sean Scott <sscott@...>:

      > Sorry for the off-topic post, but this question recently came up and I
      >
      > figure someone here would know:
      >
      > Can a female youth member of a Venturing Crew be elected into the OA?
      >

      > Yours in Scouting,
      >
      > Sean Scott
      >
      > Assistant Council Commissioner, Webmaster
      >

      > California Inland Empire Council, Boy Scouts of America
    • Brian Mott
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 7 11:03 AM
        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Sean Scott" <sscott@a...> wrote:
        > Sorry for the off-topic post, but this question recently came up
        and I
        > figure someone here would know:
        >
        > Can a female youth member of a Venturing Crew be elected into the
        OA?

        No.

        First, the Order of the Arrow is an honor society for the Boy Scout
        division of the BSA. This includes Troops and Teams (Varsity
        Scouts). No one can be elected by a Venturing Crew, male or female.

        Second, to be elected, you must hold at least First Class rank.
        Since females cannot earn rank (no one can earn rank below First
        class in a Crew), this also makes them not electable.

        Either of these requirements be themselves makes it impossible for
        female Crew members to be elected. Both would have to be changed for
        that to happen.

        Brian MOtt
        York, PA