RE: [Scouter_T] OT: OA Question

  • Jim Von Schmacht
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
      No. The only way currently that a female may join the OA is an adult
      from a troop (submitted rather than elected). Also, Venturing Crews do
      not hold elections - it's a Boy Scout thing.

      Jim von Schmacht

      Brotherhood member, Esselen Lodge

      Sit Caw Yu Chapter Advisor

      _____

      From: Sean Scott [mailto:sscott@...]
      Subject: [Scouter_T] OT: OA Question

      Sorry for the off-topic post, but this question recently came up and I
      figure someone here would know:

      Can a female youth member of a Venturing Crew be elected into the OA?

      Yours in Scouting,
      Sean Scott
      Assistant Council Commissioner, Webmaster
      California Inland Empire Council, Boy Scouts of America

    • John Halter
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
        According to the eligibility requirements, the youth has to have earned the
        rank of First Class. Since a female cannot earn that rank, I would say they
        would not be eligible as a youth. Haven't seen anything specific in writing
        that says a female youth can or cannot be a member. Check the Order of the
        Arrow Guide for Officers and Advisers for an exact answer.
        When I was looking into this, I found that a Lone Scout also cannot join the
        OA as a youth. This is because he has to be elected by other youth in his
        unit. If he's a Lone Scout, there is no one to elect him. Also, the youth
        elected to the OA are to return service to their unit and inspire others to be
        better scouts. If he's the only one, there is no one to inspire.

        Thank you,

        John Halter
        Cubmaster
        Pack 230 Apopka Florida
        www.pack230.com
        Assistant Scoutmaster
        Troop 936 Longwood Florida
        www.wekiwa.org
        ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
        "PackDude" at Scoutboard.com

        Quoting Sean Scott <sscott@...>:

        > Sorry for the off-topic post, but this question recently came up and I
        >
        > figure someone here would know:
        >
        > Can a female youth member of a Venturing Crew be elected into the OA?
        >

        > Yours in Scouting,
        >
        > Sean Scott
        >
        > Assistant Council Commissioner, Webmaster
        >

        > California Inland Empire Council, Boy Scouts of America
      • Brian Mott
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Sean Scott" <sscott@a...> wrote:
          > Sorry for the off-topic post, but this question recently came up
          and I
          > figure someone here would know:
          >
          > Can a female youth member of a Venturing Crew be elected into the
          OA?

          No.

          First, the Order of the Arrow is an honor society for the Boy Scout
          division of the BSA. This includes Troops and Teams (Varsity
          Scouts). No one can be elected by a Venturing Crew, male or female.

          Second, to be elected, you must hold at least First Class rank.
          Since females cannot earn rank (no one can earn rank below First
          class in a Crew), this also makes them not electable.

          Either of these requirements be themselves makes it impossible for
          female Crew members to be elected. Both would have to be changed for
          that to happen.

          Brian MOtt
          York, PA
        • Dave Loomis
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
            AFAIK, Venturing does not support OA, i.e. Venturing Crews or
            membership can not be used to elect OA candidates; you have to be a
            member of a troop to be eligible for membership.

            Dave

            Sean Scott wrote:

            > Sorry for the off-topic post, but this question recently came up and I
            > figure someone here would know:
            >
            > Can a female youth member of a Venturing Crew be elected into the OA?
            >

            > Yours in Scouting,
            >
            > Sean Scott
            >
            > Assistant Council Commissioner, Webmaster
            >
            > California Inland Empire Council, Boy Scouts of America

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            > .

            Dave Loomis mailto: dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
            245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
            Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
          • Sean Scott
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
              T.W. Wrote: And please, this topic has been beat to death over on
              Scouts-L and no doubt on countless other lists. Please don't start the
              "it isn't fair" discussion as it has nothing to do with the purpose of
              this list.

              Nope, not going to start the "isn't fair" discussion. Just figured that
              of all the lists I belong to, this would be the one where I would find
              the fastest, most correct answer! Thanks everyone for your responses.
              It turns out that I had 'figured' out the answer, I just didn't have
              the fact to back it up!

              YiS,
              Sean