RE: [Scouter_T] OT: OA Question

  • T.W. Cook
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
      No. Nor can a male youth member of a venturing crew be elected - unless he
      is dual registered in a scout troop or varsity team and is elected there.
      This is because venturing crews cannot hold OA elections at all. The only
      way a female can be elected into the OA is as an adult.

      See http://main.oa-bsa.org/annc/opup/ou99-2a.pdf for the official word on
      this policy. And please, this topic has been beat to death over on Scouts-L
      and no doubt on countless other lists. Please don't start the "it isn't
      fair" discussion as it has nothing to do with the purpose of this list.

      T.W. Cook - SM Troop 151 - Georgetown, TX

    • Jim Von Schmacht
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
        No. The only way currently that a female may join the OA is an adult
        from a troop (submitted rather than elected). Also, Venturing Crews do
        not hold elections - it's a Boy Scout thing.

        Jim von Schmacht

        Brotherhood member, Esselen Lodge

        Sit Caw Yu Chapter Advisor

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
          According to the eligibility requirements, the youth has to have earned the
          rank of First Class. Since a female cannot earn that rank, I would say they
          would not be eligible as a youth. Haven't seen anything specific in writing
          that says a female youth can or cannot be a member. Check the Order of the
          Arrow Guide for Officers and Advisers for an exact answer.
          When I was looking into this, I found that a Lone Scout also cannot join the
          OA as a youth. This is because he has to be elected by other youth in his
          unit. If he's a Lone Scout, there is no one to elect him. Also, the youth
          elected to the OA are to return service to their unit and inspire others to be
          better scouts. If he's the only one, there is no one to inspire.

          Thank you,

          John Halter
          Cubmaster
          Pack 230 Apopka Florida
          www.pack230.com
          Assistant Scoutmaster
          Troop 936 Longwood Florida
          www.wekiwa.org
          ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
          "PackDude" at Scoutboard.com

          Quoting Sean Scott <sscott@...>:

          > Sorry for the off-topic post, but this question recently came up and I
          >
          > figure someone here would know:
          >
          > Can a female youth member of a Venturing Crew be elected into the OA?
          >

          > Yours in Scouting,
          >
          > Sean Scott
          >
          > Assistant Council Commissioner, Webmaster
          >

          > California Inland Empire Council, Boy Scouts of America
        • Brian Mott
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Sean Scott" <sscott@a...> wrote:
            > Sorry for the off-topic post, but this question recently came up
            and I
            > figure someone here would know:
            >
            > Can a female youth member of a Venturing Crew be elected into the
            OA?

            No.

            First, the Order of the Arrow is an honor society for the Boy Scout
            division of the BSA. This includes Troops and Teams (Varsity
            Scouts). No one can be elected by a Venturing Crew, male or female.

            Second, to be elected, you must hold at least First Class rank.
            Since females cannot earn rank (no one can earn rank below First
            class in a Crew), this also makes them not electable.

            Either of these requirements be themselves makes it impossible for
            female Crew members to be elected. Both would have to be changed for
            that to happen.

            Brian MOtt
            York, PA
          • Olan Watkins
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
              No, to be elected into the OA, a youth must be at least of First Class
              Scout rank.

              Olan Watkins
            • Dave Loomis
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
                AFAIK, Venturing does not support OA, i.e. Venturing Crews or
                membership can not be used to elect OA candidates; you have to be a
                member of a troop to be eligible for membership.

                Dave

                Sean Scott wrote:

                > Sorry for the off-topic post, but this question recently came up and I
                > figure someone here would know:
                >
                > Can a female youth member of a Venturing Crew be elected into the OA?
                >

                > Yours in Scouting,
                >
                > Sean Scott
                >
                > Assistant Council Commissioner, Webmaster
                >
                > California Inland Empire Council, Boy Scouts of America

                > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > .

                Dave Loomis mailto: dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
                245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
                Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
              • Sean Scott
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
                  T.W. Wrote: And please, this topic has been beat to death over on
                  Scouts-L and no doubt on countless other lists. Please don't start the
                  "it isn't fair" discussion as it has nothing to do with the purpose of
                  this list.

                  Nope, not going to start the "isn't fair" discussion. Just figured that
                  of all the lists I belong to, this would be the one where I would find
                  the fastest, most correct answer! Thanks everyone for your responses.
                  It turns out that I had 'figured' out the answer, I just didn't have
                  the fact to back it up!

                  YiS,
                  Sean