RE: [Scouter_T] OT: OA Question

  • T.W. Cook
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
      No. Nor can a male youth member of a venturing crew be elected - unless he
      is dual registered in a scout troop or varsity team and is elected there.
      This is because venturing crews cannot hold OA elections at all. The only
      way a female can be elected into the OA is as an adult.

      See http://main.oa-bsa.org/annc/opup/ou99-2a.pdf for the official word on
      this policy. And please, this topic has been beat to death over on Scouts-L
      and no doubt on countless other lists. Please don't start the "it isn't
      fair" discussion as it has nothing to do with the purpose of this list.

      T.W. Cook - SM Troop 151 - Georgetown, TX

    • Jim Von Schmacht
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
        No. The only way currently that a female may join the OA is an adult
        from a troop (submitted rather than elected). Also, Venturing Crews do
        not hold elections - it's a Boy Scout thing.

        Jim von Schmacht

        Brotherhood member, Esselen Lodge

        Sit Caw Yu Chapter Advisor

        _____

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
          According to the eligibility requirements, the youth has to have earned the
          rank of First Class. Since a female cannot earn that rank, I would say they
          would not be eligible as a youth. Haven't seen anything specific in writing
          that says a female youth can or cannot be a member. Check the Order of the
          Arrow Guide for Officers and Advisers for an exact answer.
          When I was looking into this, I found that a Lone Scout also cannot join the
          OA as a youth. This is because he has to be elected by other youth in his
          unit. If he's a Lone Scout, there is no one to elect him. Also, the youth
          elected to the OA are to return service to their unit and inspire others to be
          better scouts. If he's the only one, there is no one to inspire.

          Thank you,

          John Halter
          Cubmaster
          Pack 230 Apopka Florida
          www.pack230.com
          Assistant Scoutmaster
          Troop 936 Longwood Florida
          www.wekiwa.org
          ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
          "PackDude" at Scoutboard.com

          Quoting Sean Scott <sscott@...>:

          > Sorry for the off-topic post, but this question recently came up and I
          >
          > figure someone here would know:
          >
          > Can a female youth member of a Venturing Crew be elected into the OA?
          >

          > Yours in Scouting,
          >
          > Sean Scott
          >
          > Assistant Council Commissioner, Webmaster
          >

          > California Inland Empire Council, Boy Scouts of America
        • Stu Allen
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
            On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 09:57:13AM -0700, Sean Scott wrote:
            > Sorry for the off-topic post, but this question recently came up and I
            > figure someone here would know:
            >
            > Can a female youth member of a Venturing Crew be elected into the OA?

            Without getting into the "is it right or wrong", the answer is NO.

            In order to be elected as a youth member, one must attain the rank of
            1st Class. This is true even for 18-21 year-old males; if they did not
            attain the rank of 1st Class as a Boy Scout they cannot be elected to
            the OA.

            Both men and women over the age of 21 are eligible for OA membership.

            YiS,
            Stu

            --
            Stu Allen email: allensr@...
            CM/SA Pack/Troop 92
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Sean Scott" <sscott@a...> wrote:
              > Sorry for the off-topic post, but this question recently came up
              and I
              > figure someone here would know:
              >
              > Can a female youth member of a Venturing Crew be elected into the
              OA?

              No.

              First, the Order of the Arrow is an honor society for the Boy Scout
              division of the BSA. This includes Troops and Teams (Varsity
              Scouts). No one can be elected by a Venturing Crew, male or female.

              Second, to be elected, you must hold at least First Class rank.
              Since females cannot earn rank (no one can earn rank below First
              class in a Crew), this also makes them not electable.

              Either of these requirements be themselves makes it impossible for
              female Crew members to be elected. Both would have to be changed for
              that to happen.

              Brian MOtt
              York, PA
            • Olan Watkins
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
                No, to be elected into the OA, a youth must be at least of First Class
                Scout rank.

                Olan Watkins
              • Dave Loomis
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
                  AFAIK, Venturing does not support OA, i.e. Venturing Crews or
                  membership can not be used to elect OA candidates; you have to be a
                  member of a troop to be eligible for membership.

                  Dave

                  Sean Scott wrote:

                  > Sorry for the off-topic post, but this question recently came up and I
                  > figure someone here would know:
                  >
                  > Can a female youth member of a Venturing Crew be elected into the OA?
                  >

                  > Yours in Scouting,
                  >
                  > Sean Scott
                  >
                  > Assistant Council Commissioner, Webmaster
                  >
                  > California Inland Empire Council, Boy Scouts of America

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  >
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > .

                  Dave Loomis mailto: dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
                  245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
                  Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
                • Sean Scott
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
                    T.W. Wrote: And please, this topic has been beat to death over on
                    Scouts-L and no doubt on countless other lists. Please don't start the
                    "it isn't fair" discussion as it has nothing to do with the purpose of
                    this list.

                    Nope, not going to start the "isn't fair" discussion. Just figured that
                    of all the lists I belong to, this would be the one where I would find
                    the fastest, most correct answer! Thanks everyone for your responses.
                    It turns out that I had 'figured' out the answer, I just didn't have
                    the fact to back it up!

                    YiS,
                    Sean