OT: OA Question

  • Sean Scott
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
      Sorry for the off-topic post, but this question recently came up and I
      figure someone here would know:

      Can a female youth member of a Venturing Crew be elected into the OA?

      Yours in Scouting,

      Sean Scott

      Assistant Council Commissioner, Webmaster

      California Inland Empire Council, Boy Scouts of America

    • T.W. Cook
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
        No. Nor can a male youth member of a venturing crew be elected - unless he
        is dual registered in a scout troop or varsity team and is elected there.
        This is because venturing crews cannot hold OA elections at all. The only
        way a female can be elected into the OA is as an adult.

        See http://main.oa-bsa.org/annc/opup/ou99-2a.pdf for the official word on
        this policy. And please, this topic has been beat to death over on Scouts-L
        and no doubt on countless other lists. Please don't start the "it isn't
        fair" discussion as it has nothing to do with the purpose of this list.

        T.W. Cook - SM Troop 151 - Georgetown, TX

      • Jim Von Schmacht
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
          No. The only way currently that a female may join the OA is an adult
          from a troop (submitted rather than elected). Also, Venturing Crews do
          not hold elections - it's a Boy Scout thing.

          Jim von Schmacht

          Brotherhood member, Esselen Lodge

          Sit Caw Yu Chapter Advisor

          _____

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
            According to the eligibility requirements, the youth has to have earned the
            rank of First Class. Since a female cannot earn that rank, I would say they
            would not be eligible as a youth. Haven't seen anything specific in writing
            that says a female youth can or cannot be a member. Check the Order of the
            Arrow Guide for Officers and Advisers for an exact answer.
            When I was looking into this, I found that a Lone Scout also cannot join the
            OA as a youth. This is because he has to be elected by other youth in his
            unit. If he's a Lone Scout, there is no one to elect him. Also, the youth
            elected to the OA are to return service to their unit and inspire others to be
            better scouts. If he's the only one, there is no one to inspire.

            Thank you,

            John Halter
            Cubmaster
            Pack 230 Apopka Florida
            www.pack230.com
            Assistant Scoutmaster
            Troop 936 Longwood Florida
            www.wekiwa.org
            ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
            "PackDude" at Scoutboard.com

            Quoting Sean Scott <sscott@...>:

            > Sorry for the off-topic post, but this question recently came up and I
            >
            > figure someone here would know:
            >
            > Can a female youth member of a Venturing Crew be elected into the OA?
            >

            > Yours in Scouting,
            >
            > Sean Scott
            >
            > Assistant Council Commissioner, Webmaster
            >

            > California Inland Empire Council, Boy Scouts of America
          • Stu Allen
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
              On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 09:57:13AM -0700, Sean Scott wrote:
              > Sorry for the off-topic post, but this question recently came up and I
              > figure someone here would know:
              >
              > Can a female youth member of a Venturing Crew be elected into the OA?

              Without getting into the "is it right or wrong", the answer is NO.

              In order to be elected as a youth member, one must attain the rank of
              1st Class. This is true even for 18-21 year-old males; if they did not
              attain the rank of 1st Class as a Boy Scout they cannot be elected to
              the OA.

              Both men and women over the age of 21 are eligible for OA membership.

              YiS,
              Stu

              --
              Stu Allen email: allensr@...
              CM/SA Pack/Troop 92
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Sean Scott" <sscott@a...> wrote:
                > Sorry for the off-topic post, but this question recently came up
                and I
                > figure someone here would know:
                >
                > Can a female youth member of a Venturing Crew be elected into the
                OA?

                No.

                First, the Order of the Arrow is an honor society for the Boy Scout
                division of the BSA. This includes Troops and Teams (Varsity
                Scouts). No one can be elected by a Venturing Crew, male or female.

                Second, to be elected, you must hold at least First Class rank.
                Since females cannot earn rank (no one can earn rank below First
                class in a Crew), this also makes them not electable.

                Either of these requirements be themselves makes it impossible for
                female Crew members to be elected. Both would have to be changed for
                that to happen.

                Brian MOtt
                York, PA
              • Olan Watkins
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
                  No, to be elected into the OA, a youth must be at least of First Class
                  Scout rank.

                  Olan Watkins
                • Dave Loomis
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
                    AFAIK, Venturing does not support OA, i.e. Venturing Crews or
                    membership can not be used to elect OA candidates; you have to be a
                    member of a troop to be eligible for membership.

                    Dave

                    Sean Scott wrote:

                    > Sorry for the off-topic post, but this question recently came up and I
                    > figure someone here would know:
                    >
                    > Can a female youth member of a Venturing Crew be elected into the OA?
                    >

                    > Yours in Scouting,
                    >
                    > Sean Scott
                    >
                    > Assistant Council Commissioner, Webmaster
                    >
                    > California Inland Empire Council, Boy Scouts of America

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    >
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    > .

                    Dave Loomis mailto: dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
                    245 Union St. (603) 431 5342
                    Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
                  • Sean Scott
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 7, 2004
                      T.W. Wrote: And please, this topic has been beat to death over on
                      Scouts-L and no doubt on countless other lists. Please don't start the
                      "it isn't fair" discussion as it has nothing to do with the purpose of
                      this list.

                      Nope, not going to start the "isn't fair" discussion. Just figured that
                      of all the lists I belong to, this would be the one where I would find
                      the fastest, most correct answer! Thanks everyone for your responses.
                      It turns out that I had 'figured' out the answer, I just didn't have
                      the fact to back it up!

                      YiS,
                      Sean